What's the new thing after ActiveX?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by ThunderMusic, Jan 16, 2007.

  1. ThunderMusic

    ThunderMusic Guest

    Hi,
    I need to do some graphics work from my ASP.NET 2.0 Website (can upgrade to
    3.0 if really needed). Actually, I need the user to be able to draw some
    things in a rectangle. Some years ago I would have do it using ActiveX, but
    now I know MS has a new philosophy about this, probably driven to more and
    more security.

    What I want to know is : What's the new thing now? Is "the new thing"
    working on Windows, Mac and Linux? What about IE, Netscape, Firefox and
    Opera? Should I resolve to use Java (I'd really appreciate if I could avoid
    it)? Would the installation of the .NET Framework be required on the client
    machine?

    Actually, I don't need the control (or whatever it's called) to work on
    everything, but the most would be the better... The bare minumum would be
    Windows and Mac, IE and Netscape (and Firefox for instance)

    Thanks

    ThunderMusic

    ThunderMusic, Jan 16, 2007

  2. WPF/E

    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/asp.net/bb187358.aspx

    Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP], Jan 16, 2007

  3. ThunderMusic

    ThunderMusic Guest

    great it's exactly what I need... does it require .NET framework? if it does
    which one does it require? is 2.0 enough? (I can't find those answers on the
    site even with a quick look at the FAQ)

    thanks a lot

    ThunderMusic

    ThunderMusic, Jan 16, 2007
  4. ThunderMusic

    ThunderMusic Guest

    ok, I found it... it's shipped with .NET 3.0... I hope my host will upgrade
    soon... ;)

    thanks a lot

    ThunderMusic

    ThunderMusic, Jan 16, 2007
  5. ThunderMusic

    bruce barker Guest

    wpf/e is a browser plugin and which downloads a xml content file and
    support javascript. ms has tools coming out that will help create these
    content files.

    you just need your users to install the plugin, and host the xml files
    and addition content files on you host. no new host software required.

    to develop an mpf/e application all you need is notepad.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker, Jan 16, 2007
  6. I also just heard wpf/e is working on being able to use c# as well as script
    (on the client) and it will work with different platforms. Now if that is
    not some neat news, not sure what is.

    --
    William Stacey [C# MVP]

    "bruce barker" <> wrote in message
    | wpf/e is a browser plugin and which downloads a xml content file and
    | support javascript. ms has tools coming out that will help create these
    | content files.
    |
    | you just need your users to install the plugin, and host the xml files
    | and addition content files on you host. no new host software required.
    |
    | to develop an mpf/e application all you need is notepad.
    |

    | -- bruce (sqlwork.com)
    |
    | ThunderMusic wrote:
    | > ok, I found it... it's shipped with .NET 3.0... I hope my host will
    upgrade
    | > soon... ;)
    | >
    | > thanks a lot
    | >
    | > ThunderMusic
    | >

    | > "ThunderMusic" <> wrote in message
    | >> great it's exactly what I need... does it require .NET framework? if it
    | >> does which one does it require? is 2.0 enough? (I can't find those
    answers
    | >> on the site even with a quick look at the FAQ)
    | >>
    | >> thanks a lot
    | >>
    | >> ThunderMusic
    | >>

    | >> "Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]" <> wrote in
    | >> message news:...

    message

    William Stacey [C# MVP], Jan 16, 2007
  7. Hi,

    William Stacey [C# MVP] wrote:
    > I also just heard wpf/e is working on being able to use c# as well as script
    > (on the client) and it will work with different platforms. Now if that is
    > not some neat news, not sure what is.

    That's correct. The current WPF/E version is a (first) CTP, which
    supports only JavaScript "code-behind". However it's quite neat already,
    because the XAML DOM is fully accessible to the script, so you can
    actually change it on the client.

    Currently, WPF/E plug-in is available for IE, Firefox, Safari (yes,
    that's Mac). Normally, a Linux version should be in preparation.

    In the V1 (which is announced for MIX07, end of April), you will also be
    able to write C# code-behind. A subset of the framework only will be
    supported, but it's not clear yet which functionalities will be removed.

    HTH,
    Laurent
    --
    Laurent Bugnion [MVP ASP.NET]

    Laurent Bugnion [MVP], Jan 16, 2007
  8. ThunderMusic

    ThunderMusic Guest

    ok, so if I want to do a new drawing program, it will be possible with that?
    right?

    I've read on the site the 3D support can be expected soon... Will it use
    XNA, OpenGL or some other type of API?

    thanks

    ThunderMusic

    ThunderMusic, Jan 17, 2007
  9. Hi,

    ThunderMusic wrote:
    > ok, so if I want to do a new drawing program, it will be possible with that?
    > right?
    >
    > I've read on the site the 3D support can be expected soon... Will it use
    > XNA, OpenGL or some other type of API?
    >
    > thanks

    WPF (not E) currently uses DirectX 10 for 3D. It is optimized for Vista,
    and relies on hardware acceleration (on cards supporting it) for
    smoother animations.

    What WPF/E will (would) use for 3D is not clear yet. Note that using
    JavaScript matrix transformations, some 3D effects can be done already
    in WPF/E, and are surprisingly smooth. For more info, see this video:
    http://channel9.msdn.com/Showpost.aspx?postid=263358
    (JavaScript 3D animations after 19:30)

    For more info about 3D in general (and probably about 3D in WPF/E too),
    try talking to Daniel Lehenbauer.
    http://blogs.msdn.com/danlehen/default.aspx

    Greetings,
    Laurent
    --
    Laurent Bugnion [MVP ASP.NET]

    Laurent Bugnion [MVP], Jan 18, 2007
  10. You could use an embedded windows forms control.
    Here are the details:
    http://SteveOrr.net/articles/WinformControls.aspx

    --
    I hope this helps,
    Steve C. Orr,

    Steve C. Orr [MCSD, MVP, CSM, ASP Insider], Jan 22, 2007
  11. ThunderMusic

    ThunderMusic Guest

    is it limited to Windows or will it work on Mac too?

    thanks

    ThunderMusic

    "Steve C. Orr [MCSD, MVP, CSM, ASP Insider]" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    ThunderMusic, Jan 23, 2007
  12. It's limited to windows and the windows user must have the .NET framework
    installed.

    --
    I hope this helps,
    Steve C. Orr,

    Steve C. Orr [MCSD, MVP, CSM, ASP Insider], Jan 26, 2007
  13. ThunderMusic

    Ralph Guest

    Wasn't ActiveX also limited to windows too though?

    Ralph, Feb 3, 2007
  14. There are plug-ins for other browsers.
    You don't need to post this to every newsgroup you can find btw.

    --
    Regards,
    Alvin Bruney

    Alvin Bruney [MVP], Feb 4, 2007