what's the point of using a dataset in ASP.net?

Terance Emory

The real reason a dataset is of use in ASP.NET is the XML
storage. I never iterate through records using Code
anymore, I use XSLT for transforming data so the
convenience of the getXML() method on the Dataset is very
nice. Some day I may write a class thats a little easier
on memory but I have been very happy with the Dataset so
far.

I also have yet to buy into Databinding for a production
website, so I haven't used this feature nearly as much as
some but that would require the Dataset also.

Hope this helps.