what's the point of using a dataset in ASP.net?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Terance Emory, Jun 28, 2003.

  1. The real reason a dataset is of use in ASP.NET is the XML
    storage. I never iterate through records using Code
    anymore, I use XSLT for transforming data so the
    convenience of the getXML() method on the Dataset is very
    nice. Some day I may write a class thats a little easier
    on memory but I have been very happy with the Dataset so
    far.

    I also have yet to buy into Databinding for a production
    website, so I haven't used this feature nearly as much as
    some but that would require the Dataset also.

    Hope this helps.

    Terance Emory, Jun 28, 2003