What's the proper term for this type of menu?

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Enrika, Mar 10, 2006.

  1. Enrika

    Enrika Guest

    I'm speaking for the menu that appears in the dark green bar near the
    top of the following web page:

    http://www.analyticalgroup.com/soft.htm

    Note: The menu only works in IE.

    In IE, the menu items in the dark green bar near the top of the page
    ("Company", "Software", "Service", etc.) will display submenus when the
    mouse rolls over them.

    Since it doesn't work in Netscape, I need to fix it, but the search
    strings I'm entering into Google and such to find help ("popup menu",
    "rollover menu", etc.) aren't giving me the results that I need. Does
    anyone know what this sort of thing is called?

    Thanks in advance!

    Best Regards,
    Enrika

    Enrika, Mar 10, 2006

  2. Enrika

    Randy Webb Guest

    Enrika said the following on 3/10/2006 6:55 PM:
    > I'm speaking for the menu that appears in the dark green bar near the
    > top of the following web page:

    > http://www.analyticalgroup.com/soft.htm

    What about it? Never assume that a reader can see the Subject line of a
    post.

    > Note: The menu only works in IE.
    >
    > In IE, the menu items in the dark green bar near the top of the page
    > ("Company", "Software", "Service", etc.) will display submenus when the
    > mouse rolls over them.
    >
    > Since it doesn't work in Netscape, I need to fix it, but the search
    > strings I'm entering into Google and such to find help ("popup menu",
    > "rollover menu", etc.) aren't giving me the results that I need. Does
    > anyone know what this sort of thing is called?

    The same thing I told you in your last post about this - "fly out menu"
    seems to be the most popular term for it.

    --
    Randy

    Randy Webb, Mar 11, 2006

  3. Enrika

    RobG Guest

    Enrika wrote:
    > I'm speaking for the menu that appears in the dark green bar near the
    > top of the following web page:
    >
    > http://www.analyticalgroup.com/soft.htm
    >
    > Note: The menu only works in IE.
    >
    > In IE, the menu items in the dark green bar near the top of the page
    > ("Company", "Software", "Service", etc.) will display submenus when the
    > mouse rolls over them.
    >
    > Since it doesn't work in Netscape, I need to fix it, but the search
    > strings I'm entering into Google and such to find help ("popup menu",
    > "rollover menu", etc.) aren't giving me the results that I need. Does
    > anyone know what this sort of thing is called?

    As Randy said, or "CSS drop down menu" works pretty well too. Have a look
    around <URL:http://www.alistapart.com>

    --
    Rob

    RobG, Mar 11, 2006
  4. Enrika

    Enrika Guest

    RobG wrote:
    > As Randy said, or "CSS drop down menu" works pretty well too. Have a look
    > around <URL:http://www.alistapart.com>

    Again, much thanks to both of you. And if you or anyone else thinks of
    any other suggestions, I'm all ears to that, too. :)

    Best Regards,
    Enrika

    Enrika, Mar 11, 2006
  5. Enrika

    Randy Webb Guest

    DDL said the following on 3/11/2006 8:24 PM:
    > Go to www.sothink.com - their dhtml menu makes this a piece of cake.

    Too bad it's not worth having though.

    --
    Randy
    Question: Why?

    Randy Webb, Mar 12, 2006
  6. Enrika

    Enrika Guest

    Randy Webb wrote:
    > DDL said the following on 3/11/2006 8:24 PM:
    > > Go to www.sothink.com - their dhtml menu makes this a piece of cake.

    > Too bad it's not worth having though.

    Why is that?

    Enrika, Mar 13, 2006
  7. Enrika

    Randy Webb Guest

    Enrika said the following on 3/13/2006 3:33 PM:
    > Randy Webb wrote:
    >> DDL said the following on 3/11/2006 8:24 PM:
    >>> Go to www.sothink.com - their dhtml menu makes this a piece of cake.

    >> Too bad it's not worth having though.

    > Why is that?

    Several reasons.

    It's poorly written from looking at the source code they use in there
    own menus.
    Good ones are free, why pay for something that is sub-standard?

    --
    Randy

    Randy Webb, Mar 13, 2006
  8. Enrika wrote:

    [snip]
    > And if you or anyone else thinks of
    > any other suggestions, I'm all ears to that, too. :)

    [/snip]

    Take a look around <URL:http://www.cssplay.co.uk>. He has an example
    of a cross-browser fly-out menu without any JavaScript.

    Regards

    Julian Turner

    Julian Turner, Mar 14, 2006
  9. Enrika wrote:

    [snip]
    > And if you or anyone else thinks of
    > any other suggestions, I'm all ears to that, too. :)

    [/snip]

    Also take a look at <URL:http://www.hiermenuscentral.com/>

    Regards

    Julian Turner

    Julian Turner, Mar 14, 2006
  10. Enrika

    Enrika Guest

    Julian Turner wrote:
    > Take a look around <URL:http://www.cssplay.co.uk>. He has an example
    > of a cross-browser fly-out menu without any JavaScript.

    This was perfect! Exactly what I needed. Thank you so much!!!

    Enrika, Mar 17, 2006