What's the server address of the comp.lang.c newsgroup?

Warren Tang

What's the server address of comp.lang.c newsgroup?

I don't really know what "google group" is... But I just want to join
the comp.lang.c newsgroup and access it with a newsgroup reader (such
as FireFox Thunderbird). In order to use it I have to know the server
address of this newsgroup. So could anyone tell me the server address?

Thank you!

Ian Collins

Warren said:
What's the server address of comp.lang.c newsgroup?

I don't really know what "google group" is... But I just want to join
the comp.lang.c newsgroup and access it with a newsgroup reader (such
as FireFox Thunderbird). In order to use it I have to know the server
address of this newsgroup. So could anyone tell me the server address?
There isn't *a* server, Usenet is a distributed medium. You have to
find yourself a provider, such as news.individual.net.

santosh

Warren said:
What's the server address of comp.lang.c newsgroup?

I don't really know what "google group" is... But I just want to join
the comp.lang.c newsgroup and access it with a newsgroup reader (such
as FireFox Thunderbird). In order to use it I have to know the server
address of this newsgroup. So could anyone tell me the server address?

Thank you!

Usenet groups do not have server addresses. They are carried by news
servers, which themselves are accessed by their name. For example the
news server maintained by motzarella.org is at news.motzarella.org and
also nntp.motzarella.org. Another free server is nntp.aioe.org. You can
subscribe to c.l.c or any other group that is carried by your chosen
server after you download their group list. Your newsreader should do
this automatically after you have filled in the minimum parameters like
server name, port number (usually 119), and authentication, if any.

Gordon Burditt

What's the server address of comp.lang.c newsgroup?

There is not one server address, but many. Most servers with a
reasonable set of newsgroups will carry comp.lang.c. Most will
also charge money. The first place to ask is your ISP. They may
include a news server for what you are paying now, or they might
charge extra for it.
I don't really know what "google group" is...

Google Groups is a way of reading news over the web. Its posting
interface is widely despised, especially by the regulars who would
much rather talk about quoting style, attributions, signature
separators, and the meaning of the word "doubt" than actually talk
about C.

santosh

Google Groups is a way of reading news over the web. Its posting
interface is widely despised, especially by the regulars who would
much rather talk about quoting style, attributions, signature
separators, and the meaning of the word "doubt" than actually talk
about C.

It *is* a crippled interface. No control over attribution line format,
signature, quote characters, line wrapping, header fields. No filtering
of any sort. Minimal and usable, but far from ideal.

Warren Tang

Thanks for all your help!

I now have a better understanding of newsgroups. Google Groups is also a
provider as well as a online newsreader. So I would be able to use an
off-line newsreader to use Google Groups if Google had made the usenet
server public accessible.

I am now writing in Firefox Thunderbird and I am using nntp.aioe.org,
which is a free server though with some limitations. I hope it's enough
for personal usage.

Philip Potter

Warren said:
Thanks for all your help!

I now have a better understanding of newsgroups. Google Groups is also a
provider as well as a online newsreader. So I would be able to use an
off-line newsreader to use Google Groups if Google had made the usenet
server public accessible.

I am now writing in Firefox Thunderbird and I am using nntp.aioe.org,
which is a free server though with some limitations. I hope it's enough
for personal usage.

I can recommend aioe. If you have any problems, the server-local group
aioe.news.helpdesk can help - the server admin hangs around in there and
is very friendly.

Also, I think you mean "Mozilla Thunderbird"...

Warren Tang

Thanks for your information and It's great to hear that I am not alone.

Yes I meant Mozilla Thunderbird.

Richard Tobin

I can recommend aioe.

I can't. It's often used for anonymous spam, and I've several times
kill-filed it while a newsgroup was being attacked.

-- Richard

Philip Potter

Richard said:
I can't. It's often used for anonymous spam, and I've several times
kill-filed it while a newsgroup was being attacked.

-- Richard

I'm sorry to hear that, though I guess it shouldn't surprise me. I
believe that (unlike some other news servers) the admin will respond to
abuse complaints, however:
http://news.aioe.org/spip.php?article25

Kenny McCormack

There isn't *a* server, Usenet is a distributed medium. You have to
find yourself a provider, such as news.individual.net.

First of all, note that none of "newsgroup", "google", "FireFox" (and
others) are mentioned in the C standards document(s), therefore this
thread is all very off-topic. And for that, you get the usual 40 lashes.

Second, has anyone stopped to ask themselves how "Warren Tang" (I know
I've seen that name before) managed to post here at all, given that he
(supposedly) didn't know the "server address" nor how to use "google groups".

Something's fishy...

CBFalconer

Warren said:
Thanks for your information and It's great to hear that I am not alone.

Please do not top-post, or you may well be alone. Your answer
belongs after (or intermixed with) the quoted material to which you
reply, after snipping all irrelevant material. See the following
links:

Antoninus Twink

Applause, applause!!

Unfortunately he only gets a silver medal though - CBF "contributed" his
tedious bullshit on top-posting a few minutes earlier.

I wonder how many other regulars will come piling in, claiming they
never saw CBF and DL's posts because "Usenet is asynchronous"...

Richard

Default User said:
newsgroup, or:

Another wonderful addition to Default User's c.l.c contribution. The
mind boggles at your own self importance. Only "Chuck" exceeds you in
mind blowingly ridiculous pedantry.