What's the story with Java for 64-bit Windows?

Wes Harrison

Has anyone actually got this working? I am trying to install the AMD64
version of Java on Windows Server 2003 x64 with no success. All of the
files are copied without error but there is no integration with the Windows
environment happening at all. There is no Java icon in the Control Panel,
there are no Java file associations and the PATH variable is not altered.
Is this normal? Am I supposed to have to set it up manually?

The AMD64 Windows JDK download is considerably smaller than the x86 one and
it appears to be lacking installation of a JRE. So I downloaded the JRE
separately and installed it but, again, it doesn't integrate with the
Windows environment. It doesn't even ask what browsers you want to install
Java into.

So what's the story? Is it meant to be this painful?

Thanks,

Wes

Roedy Green

here is no Java icon in the Control Panel,
there are no Java file associations and the PATH variable is not altered.
Is this normal? Am I supposed to have to set it up manually?

I would be happy to solve this for you, but I don't have a 64 bit
machine.

My guess is you would just put the bin directory on the path, then you
can type javac java etc and all should work.

Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

Wes Harrison

Roedy Green said:
I would be happy to solve this for you, but I don't have a 64 bit
machine.

My guess is you would just put the bin directory on the path, then you
can type javac java etc and all should work.

That's not going to be enough as it still doesn't do any file associations
and it doesn't set-up the Control Panel or Internet Explorer. I just don't
believe that Sun decided that we would perform automatic integration with
all platforms except 64-bit Windows. It doesn't make sense.

Wes