    any way to correct for this? I certainly learn more from answers to
    questions, than just answers or thank you postings. :)

    Ken

    Kenosis, Jul 7, 2006

  2. Kenosis wrote:
    > We keep getting answers to posts but not the original post. Is there
    > any way to correct for this? I certainly learn more from answers to
    > questions, than just answers or thank you postings. :)
    >
    > Ken

    I'm guessing they are from older threads?

    -Justin

    Justin Collins, Jul 7, 2006

  3. Kenosis

    Jacob Fugal Guest

    On 7/7/06, Kenosis <> wrote:
    > We keep getting answers to posts but not the original post. Is there
    > any way to correct for this? I certainly learn more from answers to
    > questions, than just answers or thank you postings. :)

    As Justin said, they're from older posts. The restoration of the
    gateway is not retroactive -- posts that had appeared on c.l.r. or the
    mailing list prior to the restoration weren't flooded to the other
    side, only new posts are ferried across. As the threads cut by the
    restoration finish and new threads start, this "problem" will go away.
    :)

    Jacob Fugal

    Jacob Fugal, Jul 7, 2006
  4. On Jul 7, 2006, at 3:51 PM, Jacob Fugal wrote:

    > On 7/7/06, Kenosis <> wrote:
    >> We keep getting answers to posts but not the original post. Is there
    >> any way to correct for this? I certainly learn more from answers to
    >> questions, than just answers or thank you postings. :)

    > As Justin said, they're from older posts. The restoration of the
    > gateway is not retroactive -- posts that had appeared on c.l.r. or the
    > mailing list prior to the restoration weren't flooded to the other
    > side, only new posts are ferried across.

    I considered going back in time a little to play catch-up, but I
    figured I would get hate mail for the flooding and we would still
    have the exact same problem. (We would just see the middle of older
    threads.)

    Given that, I figured the small adjustment period as we get back into
    the discussions was the lesser evil. I agree this problem will
    naturally solve itself in time.

    James Edward Gray II

    James Edward Gray II, Jul 7, 2006
  5. Kenosis

    Jacob Fugal Guest

    On 7/7/06, James Edward Gray II <> wrote:
    > I considered going back in time a little to play catch-up, but I
    > figured I would get hate mail for the flooding and we would still
    > have the exact same problem. (We would just see the middle of older
    > threads.)

    Exactly. I'm one of them. :) Well, I wouldn't have sent you hate mail,
    but I might have grumbled a little under my breath. :)

    And you're absolutely right, as long as the cut is rigid across a
    point in time, you're not going to get a clean cut (barring extreme
    luck). One option would have been to see all active threads (had a
    response in the last 24 hours, for instance), and only copy the old
    posts from those threads over... but I wouldn't wish the chore of
    collecting those posts on anyone.

    Jacob Fugal

    Jacob Fugal, Jul 7, 2006
  6. Kenosis

    Kenosis Guest

    That makes sense and I agree that what were seeing now is better than
    the alternative. Thanks for the explanations.

    Ken

    Kenosis, Jul 7, 2006