What's up with this object?

Peter Jenkins

I needed to implement a "page within a page" and rather than use frames
(yecchh)
decided to try using the object tag. Flung a test page together, tried it
out in IE
and Firefox on my PC, it worked perfectly (apart from the right hand
scrollbar
in IE). Picked up the page to be inserted (
http://sms.connexus.co.nz/sst/default.asp)
and displayed it exactly as I hoped in both browsers. Great!

Uploaded the page to the site, tried it out in Firefox, worked perfectly.
But in
IE... the inserted page is blank, nothing displayed at all, zilch, nada,
just the
object box and the right hand scrollbar. The page concerned is here
http://www.safe-nz.org.nz/meetingsobject.htm

What's up with that? How come it displays the content when it's on my local
machine - but not when it's up on the webserver?

I'm asking this out of curiosity rather than desperation, I used an iframe
tag
instead which works OK in all situations, I'm just intrigued as to what
could
be behind such peculiar behaviour, and thought someone here might have
struck this before and might have some insight.
Regards
Peter J

Richard

Peter said:
[...]

Generally, when you have an issue between the local machine and the
webserver, it is due to the path name not being proper for the webserver.
For instance, you might show locally, /images/photo.jpg and the photo will
show locally but not on the server.
To correct, change the path name to the full name instead of the shortcut.
http://www.domain.com/images/photo.jpg.
Make sure you have a folder named "images" and that the characters match
case for case.
If you're still having problems, you may need to contact your host and see
precisely what they require for that situation.

Not sure just what it was you are asking about.
Using IE6, the page loaded just fine but there was nothing in the text box.
I don't believe that a text box can be loaded from an outside source in the
way you are attempting.

Peter Jenkins

Richard said:
Generally, when you have an issue between the local machine and the
webserver, it is due to the path name not being proper for the webserver.
For instance, you might show locally, /images/photo.jpg and the photo will
show locally but not on the server.
To correct, change the path name to the full name instead of the shortcut.
http://www.domain.com/images/photo.jpg.

First thing I thought of.. made sure I used the full name. Also doesn't
explain
why it DOES work perfectly in Firefox
Make sure you have a folder named "images" and that the characters match
case for case.
If you're still having problems, you may need to contact your host and see
precisely what they require for that situation.

Not sure just what it was you are asking about.
Using IE6, the page loaded just fine but there was nothing in the text box.
I don't believe that a text box can be loaded from an outside source in the
way you are attempting.

Hmmmm... Firefox does it OK, appears to be another defect in IE, ho hum
I understand why seem people dislike it :)
Regards
Peter J

Mitja

I needed to implement a "page within a page" and rather than use frames
(yecchh)
I'm asking this out of curiosity rather than desperation, I used an
iframe tag instead which works OK in all situations

Um.... there's a certain irony to that.

mscir

Peter said:
I needed to implement a "page within a page" and rather than use frames
decided to try using the object tag.
<snip>

Just curious, why didn't you use an iframe?

..dpoll{
overflow: hidden;
width: 260px;
height: 90px;
border: 0px;
background-color: #FFFFFF;
}

<iframe class="dpoll" src="http://sms.connexus.co.nz/sst/default.asp">
</iframe>

Mike

Barbara de Zoete

iframes [...] may only be supported by IE.

Where did you get that idea? I can see the contents of an iframe in all
graphical browsers I know and I can access its content easily with for
example Lynx if the iframe is set up correctly.

mscir

Richard said:
iframes are even more worse than frames and may only be supported by IE.

Worse how?

Browser support for iframes:

http://www.websitegravy.com/pages/iframe/

- IE: IE appears to support the iframe since v4 (Mac since v3)
- Netscape: v6 and later
- Opera: the 4.02 beta is said to support iframes (Mac and Unix since
v5; BeOS since v3.62)
- Mozilla: since v1
- Bezilla: since v1
- Galleon: since v1.2
- WarpZilla: since v1
- Lynx: support since 2.8.2

http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/html/iframe.html

- Internet Explorer has supported iframe since version 3. However, IE as
well other browsers have problems in the support, as discussed later in
this document.
- Netscape 6 supports iframe. It has been reported that Netscape 4.7 on
Mac has iframe support, but all Netscape 4.x versions on Windows
probably lack support. And it has been reported that Mozilla M12
supports iframe.
- iCab supports it, with a user option to disable the support.
- WebTV Plus has iframe support, but the "small bugs" include failure to
comply with the fundamental idea of using the content of the element
only if the inline frame itself is not displayed.
- Lynx 2.8.2 handles iframe in a manner similar to its treatment of
normal frames: it provides a link (preceded by the text IFRAME:) to the
document specified in the src attribute of the iframe tag and then
renders the content of the iframe element. As the link text, it uses the
name attribute if present, otherwise the URL (the src attribute value).
- Opera 4.0 beta supports iframe, with the option to turn the support
off (as independently of normal frame support), and the default setting
seems to be to have the support disabled.

http://www.quirksmode.org/

- iframes are not supported by Netscape 4.
- iframes inside layers are buggy in Opera 6 (solved in 7). Even outside
layers, they can be very buggy in Opera 5 on Mac.
- WebTV reloads the entire page when reloading an iframe.
- Using location.href in an iframe to change the page in the iframe does
not work in Explorer 4 and 5.0 on Windows and Opera 5 and 6.