What's up with this object?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Peter Jenkins, Nov 26, 2004.

  1. I needed to implement a "page within a page" and rather than use frames
    (yecchh)
    decided to try using the object tag. Flung a test page together, tried it
    out in IE
    and Firefox on my PC, it worked perfectly (apart from the right hand
    scrollbar
    in IE). Picked up the page to be inserted (
    http://sms.connexus.co.nz/sst/default.asp)
    and displayed it exactly as I hoped in both browsers. Great!

    Uploaded the page to the site, tried it out in Firefox, worked perfectly.
    But in
    IE... the inserted page is blank, nothing displayed at all, zilch, nada,
    just the
    object box and the right hand scrollbar. The page concerned is here
    http://www.safe-nz.org.nz/meetingsobject.htm

    What's up with that? How come it displays the content when it's on my local
    machine - but not when it's up on the webserver?

    I'm asking this out of curiosity rather than desperation, I used an iframe
    tag
    instead which works OK in all situations, I'm just intrigued as to what
    could
    be behind such peculiar behaviour, and thought someone here might have
    struck this before and might have some insight.
    Regards
    Peter J
    Peter Jenkins, Nov 26, 2004

  2. Peter Jenkins

    Richard Guest

    Peter Jenkins wrote:

    > I needed to implement a "page within a page" and rather than use frames
    > (yecchh)
    > decided to try using the object tag. Flung a test page together, tried it
    > out in IE
    > and Firefox on my PC, it worked perfectly (apart from the right hand
    > scrollbar
    > in IE). Picked up the page to be inserted (
    > http://sms.connexus.co.nz/sst/default.asp)
    > and displayed it exactly as I hoped in both browsers. Great!

    > Uploaded the page to the site, tried it out in Firefox, worked perfectly.
    > But in
    > IE... the inserted page is blank, nothing displayed at all, zilch, nada,
    > just the
    > object box and the right hand scrollbar. The page concerned is here
    > http://www.safe-nz.org.nz/meetingsobject.htm

    > What's up with that? How come it displays the content when it's on my
    > local machine - but not when it's up on the webserver?

    > I'm asking this out of curiosity rather than desperation, I used an
    > iframe tag
    > instead which works OK in all situations, I'm just intrigued as to what
    > could
    > be behind such peculiar behaviour, and thought someone here might have
    > struck this before and might have some insight.
    > Regards
    > Peter J

    Generally, when you have an issue between the local machine and the
    webserver, it is due to the path name not being proper for the webserver.
    For instance, you might show locally, /images/photo.jpg and the photo will
    show locally but not on the server.
    To correct, change the path name to the full name instead of the shortcut.
    http://www.domain.com/images/photo.jpg.
    Make sure you have a folder named "images" and that the characters match
    case for case.
    If you're still having problems, you may need to contact your host and see
    precisely what they require for that situation.

    Not sure just what it was you are asking about.
    Using IE6, the page loaded just fine but there was nothing in the text box.
    I don't believe that a text box can be loaded from an outside source in the
    way you are attempting.
    Richard, Nov 26, 2004

  3. "Richard" <Anonymous@127.001> wrote in message

    > Generally, when you have an issue between the local machine and the
    > webserver, it is due to the path name not being proper for the webserver.
    > For instance, you might show locally, /images/photo.jpg and the photo will
    > show locally but not on the server.
    > To correct, change the path name to the full name instead of the shortcut.
    > http://www.domain.com/images/photo.jpg.

    First thing I thought of.. made sure I used the full name. Also doesn't
    explain
    why it DOES work perfectly in Firefox

    > Make sure you have a folder named "images" and that the characters match
    > case for case.
    > If you're still having problems, you may need to contact your host and see
    > precisely what they require for that situation.
    >
    > Not sure just what it was you are asking about.
    > Using IE6, the page loaded just fine but there was nothing in the text

    box.
    > I don't believe that a text box can be loaded from an outside source in

    the
    > way you are attempting.

    Hmmmm... Firefox does it OK, appears to be another defect in IE, ho hum
    I understand why seem people dislike it :)
    Regards
    Peter J

    Peter Jenkins, Nov 26, 2004
  4. Peter Jenkins

    Spartanicus Guest

    Spartanicus, Nov 26, 2004
  5. Peter Jenkins

    Mitja Guest

    On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 17:20:24 +1300, Peter Jenkins
    <> wrote:

    > I needed to implement a "page within a page" and rather than use frames
    > (yecchh)
    > I'm asking this out of curiosity rather than desperation, I used an
    > iframe tag instead which works OK in all situations

    Um.... there's a certain irony to that.

    --
    Mitja
    Mitja, Nov 26, 2004
  6. Peter Jenkins

    mscir Guest

    Peter Jenkins wrote:

    > I needed to implement a "page within a page" and rather than use frames
    > decided to try using the object tag.

    <snip>

    Just curious, why didn't you use an iframe?

    ..dpoll{
    overflow: hidden;
    width: 260px;
    height: 90px;
    border: 0px;
    background-color: #FFFFFF;
    }

    <iframe class="dpoll" src="http://sms.connexus.co.nz/sst/default.asp">
    </iframe>

    Mike
    mscir, Nov 26, 2004
  7. Peter Jenkins

    Richard Guest

    mscir wrote:

    > Peter Jenkins wrote:

    >> I needed to implement a "page within a page" and rather than use frames
    >> decided to try using the object tag.

    > <snip>

    > Just curious, why didn't you use an iframe?

    > .dpoll{
    > overflow: hidden;
    > width: 260px;
    > height: 90px;
    > border: 0px;
    > background-color: #FFFFFF;
    > }

    > <iframe class="dpoll" src="http://sms.connexus.co.nz/sst/default.asp">
    > </iframe>

    > Mike

    iframes are even more worse than frames and may only be supported by IE.
    Richard, Nov 26, 2004
  8. On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 07:53:41 -0600, Richard <Anonymous@127.001> wrote:

    > iframes [...] may only be supported by IE.

    Where did you get that idea? I can see the contents of an iframe in all
    graphical browsers I know and I can access its content easily with for
    example Lynx if the iframe is set up correctly.

    --
    Weblog | <http://home.wanadoo.nl/b.de.zoete/_private/weblog.html>
    Webontwerp | <http://home.wanadoo.nl/b.de.zoete/html/webontwerp.html>
    Barbara de Zoete, Nov 26, 2004
  9. Peter Jenkins

    mscir Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > mscir wrote:
    > > Just curious, why didn't you use an iframe?

    > iframes are even more worse than frames and may only be supported by IE.

    Worse how?

    Browser support for iframes:

    http://www.websitegravy.com/pages/iframe/

    - IE: IE appears to support the iframe since v4 (Mac since v3)
    - Netscape: v6 and later
    - Opera: the 4.02 beta is said to support iframes (Mac and Unix since
    v5; BeOS since v3.62)
    - Mozilla: since v1
    - Bezilla: since v1
    - Galleon: since v1.2
    - WarpZilla: since v1
    - Lynx: support since 2.8.2

    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/html/iframe.html

    - Internet Explorer has supported iframe since version 3. However, IE as
    well other browsers have problems in the support, as discussed later in
    this document.
    - Netscape 6 supports iframe. It has been reported that Netscape 4.7 on
    Mac has iframe support, but all Netscape 4.x versions on Windows
    probably lack support. And it has been reported that Mozilla M12
    supports iframe.
    - iCab supports it, with a user option to disable the support.
    - WebTV Plus has iframe support, but the "small bugs" include failure to
    comply with the fundamental idea of using the content of the element
    only if the inline frame itself is not displayed.
    - Lynx 2.8.2 handles iframe in a manner similar to its treatment of
    normal frames: it provides a link (preceded by the text IFRAME:) to the
    document specified in the src attribute of the iframe tag and then
    renders the content of the iframe element. As the link text, it uses the
    name attribute if present, otherwise the URL (the src attribute value).
    - Opera 4.0 beta supports iframe, with the option to turn the support
    off (as independently of normal frame support), and the default setting
    seems to be to have the support disabled.

    http://www.quirksmode.org/

    - iframes are not supported by Netscape 4.
    - iframes inside layers are buggy in Opera 6 (solved in 7). Even outside
    layers, they can be very buggy in Opera 5 on Mac.
    - WebTV reloads the entire page when reloading an iframe.
    - Using location.href in an iframe to change the page in the iframe does
    not work in Explorer 4 and 5.0 on Windows and Opera 5 and 6.
    mscir, Nov 26, 2004
  10. Richard wrote:
    > iframes are even more worse than frames

    How is an object element used in the same way as an iframe any better?
    Leif K-Brooks, Nov 27, 2004
  11. Peter Jenkins

    Toby Inkster Guest

    mscir wrote:

    > - Galleon: since v1.2

    Pretty sure Galeon has supported iframes since day one -- it used the
    already-quite-mature Gecko engine.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Now Playing ~ ./ryan_adams/demolition/12_chin_up_cheer_up.ogg
    Toby Inkster, Nov 27, 2004