whats wrong here?

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by iz0nlee, Jul 12, 2003.

  1. iz0nlee

    iz0nlee Guest

    can anybody tell me what is wrong here, I got this shockwave test from
    javascript in easy steps but it doesnt open the pages required

    <head>
    <script type = "text/javascript">
    if ( (navigator.appName == "Microsoft Internet Explorer"
    && navigator.appVersion.IndexOf ( "Mac" ) == -1
    && navigator.appVersion.IndexOf ( "3.1" ) == -1)
    || navigator.plugins && navigator.plugins [ "Shockwave Flash" ] )
    || navigator.plugins [ "Shockwave Flash 2.0" ] )
    window.location = "index01.html" ;
    else
    window.location = "index.html" ;
    </script>
    </head>

    the index01 has a flash content, the index doesnt

    TIA
    iz0nlee, Jul 12, 2003

  2. iz0nlee

    Evertjan. Guest

    iz0nlee wrote on 12 jul 2003 in comp.lang.javascript:

    > can anybody tell me what is wrong here, I got this shockwave test from
    > javascript in easy steps but it doesnt open the pages required

    > <head>
    > <script type = "text/javascript">
    > if ( (navigator.appName == "Microsoft Internet Explorer"
    > && navigator.appVersion.IndexOf ( "Mac" ) == -1
    > && navigator.appVersion.IndexOf ( "3.1" ) == -1)
    >|| navigator.plugins && navigator.plugins [ "Shockwave Flash" ] )
    >|| navigator.plugins [ "Shockwave Flash 2.0" ] )

    4 '(' and 5 ')'

    > window.location = "index01.html" ;

    [I think no ';' here]

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.
    Evertjan., Jul 12, 2003

  3. iz0nlee

    iz0nlee Guest

    thanks for the prompt reply,
    I am not quite sure what this means

    4 '(' and 5 ')'

    I tried removing the semicolon from the first url but it didnt work.

    I am running winXP and IE6, if that makes a difference.
    when I click the 'index02.htm' file it just brings that blamk page up
    instead of redirecting to index01.htm as it should.
    thanks again though

    iz0nlee, Jul 12, 2003
  4. In article <Xns93B6688138E9Beejj99@194.109.133.29>, Evertjan.
    <> writes
    >iz0nlee wrote on 12 jul 2003 in comp.lang.javascript:

    <snip>
    >> window.location = "index01.html" ;

    >[I think no ';' here]

    <snip>

    The semicolon is perfectly respectable here. Remember that complicated
    statements are built from simpler statements, and that some kinds of
    statement can (must in C, C++, Java) end in a semicolon.

    If a semicolon looks strange think of it as being inside its statement,
    not as separate punctuation outside.

    John
    --
    John Harris
    mailto:
    John G Harris, Jul 12, 2003
  5. iz0nlee

    Evertjan. Guest

    John G Harris wrote on 12 jul 2003 in comp.lang.javascript:
    > In article <Xns93B6688138E9Beejj99@194.109.133.29>, Evertjan.
    > <> writes
    >>iz0nlee wrote on 12 jul 2003 in comp.lang.javascript:

    > <snip>
    >>> window.location = "index01.html" ;

    >>[I think no ';' here]

    > <snip>
    >
    > The semicolon is perfectly respectable here. Remember that complicated
    > statements are built from simpler statements, and that some kinds of
    > statement can (must in C, C++, Java) end in a semicolon.
    >
    > If a semicolon looks strange think of it as being inside its statement,
    > not as separate punctuation outside.

    You are right, of cource, John.

    if(condition)
    statementtrue;
    else
    statementfalse;
    statementalways;

    The problem in my mind was, that without {} only one statement is
    allowed.

    I think it was Pascal syntax that disallowed a ; in that position
    otherwise the "else" was orphaned ?

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.
    Evertjan., Jul 13, 2003
  6. iz0nlee

    iz0nlee Guest

    Thanks to all of you who have commented, I found the errant '(' and script
    is now as below and I've checked it till I'm blue in the face but it still
    only returns its own page and doesnt jump to the 'index01'page as it should
    (I think)

    <head>
    <script type = "text/javascript">
    if ( (navigator.appName == "Microsoft Internet Explorer"
    && navigator.appVersion.IndexOf ( "Mac" ) == -1
    && navigator.appVersion.IndexOf ( "3.1" ) == -1)
    (navigator.plugins
    && navigator.plugins[ "Shockwave Flash" ] )
    navigator.plugins [ "Shockwave Flash 2.0" ] )
    window.location = "index01.htm";
    else
    window.location = "index.htm" ;
    </script>
    </head>
    failed again

    I'm sure there must be a simple explanation, perhaps its something to do
    with the 'pipe' characters, I'm not sure what they do, but for the time
    being I might just put the flash pages up for now as most people use
    shockwave capable browsers anyway and my site doesnt get hits in the
    millions exactly so it probably wont matter.
    Thanks for all your suggestions and interest
    regards
    iz0nlee, Jul 13, 2003
  7. iz0nlee

    Evertjan. Guest

    iz0nlee wrote on 13 jul 2003 in comp.lang.javascript:

    > Thanks to all of you who have commented, I found the errant '(' and
    > script is now as below and I've checked it till I'm blue in the face
    > but it still only returns its own page and doesnt jump to the
    > 'index01'page as it should (I think)

    > <head>
    > <script type = "text/javascript">
    > if ( (navigator.appName == "Microsoft Internet Explorer"
    > && navigator.appVersion.IndexOf ( "Mac" ) == -1
    > && navigator.appVersion.IndexOf ( "3.1" ) == -1)
    > (navigator.plugins
    > && navigator.plugins[ "Shockwave Flash" ] )
    > navigator.plugins [ "Shockwave Flash 2.0" ] )
    > window.location = "index01.htm";
    > else
    > window.location = "index.htm" ;
    > </script>
    > </head>
    > failed again

    Now start testing by deviding the problem, make three seperate testfiles
    and execute them in the same directory as your present html-file:

    ============ test1.html ====================

    <script type = "text/javascript">
    if ( true )
    window.location = "index01.htm";
    else
    window.location = "index.htm" ;
    </script>

    ============ test2.html ====================

    <script type = "text/javascript">
    if ( false )
    window.location = "index01.htm";
    else
    window.location = "index.htm" ;
    </script>

    ============ test3.html ====================

    <script type = "text/javascript">
    result =(navigator.appName == "Microsoft Internet Explorer"
    && navigator.appVersion.IndexOf ( "Mac" ) == -1
    && navigator.appVersion.IndexOf ( "3.1" ) == -1)
    (navigator.plugins
    && navigator.plugins[ "Shockwave Flash" ] )
    navigator.plugins [ "Shockwave Flash 2.0" ] )

    alert(result) // must be true or false
    </script>

    And let us hear the results.

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.
    Evertjan., Jul 13, 2003
  8. iz0nlee

    iz0nlee Guest

    I did just what you said and found when I put the Netscape part in it
    failed.
    I re wrote it like this and it works though I dont have netscape to test it,
    (nor Mac or win3.1 for that matter)
    I'm happy it works now though and thanks for all your help.
    I'll put the script in the head of index.htm then it should transfer most
    people to index01

    regards
    p.s. I answered this a few minutes ago but sent it 'reply' instead of
    'reply group' by accident. Sorry

    )

    iz0nlee, Jul 13, 2003
  9. iz0nlee

    Evertjan. Guest

    iz0nlee wrote on 13 jul 2003 in comp.lang.javascript:
    > I'll put the script in the head of index.htm then it
    > should transfer most people to index01
    > [........]
    > else
    > window.location = "index.htm";

    The others will keep reloading index.htm again and again ??????????

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.
    Evertjan., Jul 13, 2003
  10. iz0nlee

    Evertjan. Guest

    iz0nlee wrote on 13 jul 2003 in comp.lang.javascript:
    > "Evertjan." <> wrote in message
    >> iz0nlee wrote on 13 jul 2003 in comp.lang.javascript:
    >> > I'll put the script in the head of index.htm then it
    >> > should transfer most people to index01
    >> > [........]
    >> > else
    >> > window.location = "index.htm";

    >> The others will keep reloading index.htm again and again ??????????

    > oops, didnt think of that, i will put it in a separate file , index, and
    > call the pages index01 and index02.
    > thanks for a timely rescue
    > regards

    Or just delete thes two scriptlines: