    Can someone briefly state why not or perhaps direct me to a web site?

    thanks

    harry
    harry, May 3, 2004

  2. harry

    SpaceGirl Guest

    "harry" <> wrote in message
    news:pzplc.220$...
    > Using IE 5.5 (sp2) - no other browser support is required!
    >
    > I have an app that use's tiles to load 7 jsp files in to various sections

    of
    > the page.
    >
    > Because the whole page is refreshed I was thinking it would be better done
    > with Frames but seeing so many posts advising not to use them but no

    reasons
    > given.
    >
    > Can someone briefly state why not or perhaps direct me to a web site?
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > harry

    Well simply, frames make it hard to book mark a site, and screw with your
    "back and forwards" buttons in the browser. Search engines dont much like it
    either. What if a use wants to bookmark a page, but to get to that page
    they've had to work through a framed menu? When they hit the bookmark button
    the *frameset* is bookmarked, not the page they want.

    Search engines may "find" one of your content pages. A user clicks this link
    from google but... where's your menu now? The individual page does not
    contain the information to generate the frames, only the frameset page has
    this.

    Frames *are* bad for most uses, but used carefully you can do some neat
    things. Iframes are particuarly useful (more useful than regular frames
    IMO). But they suffer the same issues.
    SpaceGirl, May 3, 2004

  3. harry

    Karl Groves Guest

    "harry" <> wrote in message
    > but seeing so many posts advising not to use them but no reasons
    > given.

    Perhaps you've got some serious reading comprehension problems, because
    pretty much any time David Dorward or Brucie respond to a frames question,
    they post a series of links with all the reasons why you shouldn't use
    frames.

    -Karl
    Karl Groves, May 3, 2004
  4. harry

    harry Guest

    Thanks for replying so quick - guess I'm better off sticking with Tiles!

    cheers

    harry

    harry, May 3, 2004
  5. "Karl Groves" <> wrote in message

    > "harry" <> wrote in message
    > > but seeing so many posts advising not to use them but no reasons
    > > given.

    > Perhaps you've got some serious reading comprehension problems, because
    > pretty much any time David Dorward or Brucie respond to a frames question,
    > they post a series of links with all the reasons why you shouldn't use
    > frames.

    Not to open this one up again, but when I asked a similar question the
    majority of responses were of the "frames are BAD, take my word for it"
    school. Some of the links given were just links to the same stuff in a web
    format, though to their credit some were not, instead seeking to discuss the
    issues that frames bring along. I'm still plowing through some of them
    inbetween getting the ADSL wiring done right on the top floor of the house
    and otherwise supervising workmen who don't seem to want to finish their
    respective jobs!

    See the "Frames-Oriented Question" thread.
    Stephen Goodman, May 3, 2004