what's wrong with REBOL?

Discussion in 'Perl' started by Mike Henley, Sep 2, 2003.

  1. Mike Henley

    Mike Henley Guest

    I first came across rebol a while ago; it seemed interesting but then
    i was put off by its proprietary nature, although the core of the
    language is a free download.

    Recently however, i can't help but say i was totally impressed. I
    needed an open source wikiblog/wikilog, whatever you wanna call it,
    basically a hybrid of a blog and a wiki. I checked out snipsnap, which
    uses java, it was said on their site to be a clone of vanilla, a
    wikilog written with rebol. I wanted an open source thing so i could
    modify it to my needs.

    snipsnap turned out to be, even apparent on the first day of use, way
    too far from being mature and reliable, and although they said it
    doesn't require a server, it required a download of the sun java sdk,
    which, when installed, was well over 400Mbs of space on my hard drive.
    Not to mention another over 100Mbs for the JVM.

    So as i needed a mature enough solution, but liked the way snipsnap
    worked, i looked around, and on freshmeat i found vanilla, with a
    development status of 5; production/stable. I went to its site, where
    a working demo impressed with its capabilities. The site is though
    poorly documented, very poorly documented i had to use trial and error
    to work out how to install it. Anyhow, what impressed me was that the
    download, which was less than half a megabyte, installed vanilla,
    which is the wikilog, an apache server, and the rebol interpreter,
    which is the free download version. And it self-installed! It turned
    out to be a very very capable wikilog, and highly extensible. I am
    still amazed and impressed by it after a couple of days of use.

    Rebol itself seemed a very easy to read language. Sorta like ho
    readable SQL is. I might even say more readable than python or ruby,
    or at least as readable.

    I have the intention to learn it over the coming few days, at least to
    customize vanilla to my needs.

    So i ask you guys, what's wrong with Rebol? i mean other than it's
    proprietary nature. 'cos anyway, there are many commercial IDEs for
    open source languages, and if smitten enough i might even consider a
    rebol SDK. It just amazes me for how readable it is, how much it seems
    to enable to do with so little code, and the size and capability of
    the final solution.

    What's wrong with Rebol?
    Mike Henley, Sep 2, 2003

  2. Mike Henley

    John Roth Guest

    "Mike Henley" <> wrote in message
    > I first came across rebol a while ago; it seemed interesting but then
    > i was put off by its proprietary nature, although the core of the
    > language is a free download.
    >
    > Recently however, i can't help but say i was totally impressed. I
    > needed an open source wikiblog/wikilog, whatever you wanna call it,
    > basically a hybrid of a blog and a wiki. I checked out snipsnap, which
    > uses java, it was said on their site to be a clone of vanilla, a
    > wikilog written with rebol. I wanted an open source thing so i could
    > modify it to my needs.
    >
    > snipsnap turned out to be, even apparent on the first day of use, way
    > too far from being mature and reliable, and although they said it
    > doesn't require a server, it required a download of the sun java sdk,
    > which, when installed, was well over 400Mbs of space on my hard drive.
    > Not to mention another over 100Mbs for the JVM.
    >
    > So as i needed a mature enough solution, but liked the way snipsnap
    > worked, i looked around, and on freshmeat i found vanilla, with a
    > development status of 5; production/stable. I went to its site, where
    > a working demo impressed with its capabilities. The site is though
    > poorly documented, very poorly documented i had to use trial and error
    > to work out how to install it. Anyhow, what impressed me was that the
    > download, which was less than half a megabyte, installed vanilla,
    > which is the wikilog, an apache server, and the rebol interpreter,
    > which is the free download version. And it self-installed! It turned
    > out to be a very very capable wikilog, and highly extensible. I am
    > still amazed and impressed by it after a couple of days of use.
    >
    > Rebol itself seemed a very easy to read language. Sorta like ho
    > readable SQL is. I might even say more readable than python or ruby,
    > or at least as readable.
    >
    > I have the intention to learn it over the coming few days, at least to
    > customize vanilla to my needs.
    >
    > So i ask you guys, what's wrong with Rebol? i mean other than it's
    > proprietary nature. 'cos anyway, there are many commercial IDEs for
    > open source languages, and if smitten enough i might even consider a
    > rebol SDK. It just amazes me for how readable it is, how much it seems
    > to enable to do with so little code, and the size and capability of
    > the final solution.
    >
    > What's wrong with Rebol?

    I don't know that there's anything "wrong" with it, other than
    it's a special purpose language designed to fit in one niche,
    and do its job well (at least in the eyes of its designers.)
    I'm not about to download a humongous reference manual
    to compare it with Python. If it serves your needs, go for it.

    John Roth
    John Roth, Sep 2, 2003

  3. Mike Henley

    Terry Reedy Guest

    > So as i needed a mature enough solution, but liked the way snipsnap
    > worked, i looked around, and on freshmeat i found vanilla, with a
    > development status of 5; production/stable. I went to its site,

    where
    > a working demo impressed with its capabilities. The site is though
    > poorly documented, very poorly documented i had to use trial and

    error
    > to work out how to install it.

    If you learned something that might help others, consider contributing
    a writeup if you think (or find out) that site maintainers would
    consider adding it.

    > What's wrong with Rebol?

    It is not Python ;-) and I don't know what unmet need it would fill
    for me. But your experience moved it up a bit on the list of
    languages I might look at someday.

    Terry J. Reedy
    Terry Reedy, Sep 2, 2003
  4. After takin a swig o' Arrakan spice grog, (Mike Henley) belched out...:
    > I first came across rebol a while ago; it seemed interesting but then
    > i was put off by its proprietary nature, although the core of the
    > language is a free download.

    ... much omitted ...
    > What's wrong with Rebol?

    "What's wrong" is that 'proprietary nature.' If I write code in Perl,
    Python, or Ruby, I can be certain that I won't get bitten because of
    someone pulling the rug out from under them.

    I can't be certain in the same way of the perpetual availability of
    REBOL.

    Furthermore, if I am considering whether to build and contribute a
    module to REBOL (where the user base is necessarily limited) or to
    Perl/Python/Ruby, I'd be more inclined to do the latter. And so there
    are LOTS of third party libraries for these other languages.
    --
    (reverse (concatenate 'string "moc.enworbbc" "@" "enworbbc"))
    http://cbbrowne.com/info/linuxdistributions.html
    Christopher Browne, Sep 2, 2003
  5. (Mike Henley) wrote in news:6005702b.0309020727.4ba46e78
    @posting.google.com:

    > I first came across rebol a while ago; it seemed interesting but then
    > i was put off by its proprietary nature, although the core of the
    > language is a free download.

    > What's wrong with Rebol?

    I dunno -- who said anything was wrong with it?

    (Note: I don't know rebol, so I may not be the person to ask here.)

    --
    Eric
    Eric J. Roode, Sep 4, 2003