What's Your Favorite HTML Editor?

Jim S

You said (in your response to the poster) that you use NVU, I would be
interested to know how you think the two compare. I had a brief play with
NVU but never really put the time in to learn to use it properly.

Just found CSE HTML Validator Lite v7
Looks interesting.

Marvel

Brian Cryer said:
You said (in your response to the poster) that you use NVU, I would be
interested to know how you think the two compare. I had a brief play with
NVU but never really put the time in to learn to use it properly.
I have found the Nvu to be a breeze and I will let you know after I try the
Microsoft, I can tell you this much it took about ten times longer to
download than Nvu, I am hoping that means it's ten times better.

patrick j

On Mon, 9 Oct 2006 07:41:00 +0100, dorayme wrote
(in article
<[email protected]>):

About BBEdit:
Indeed it is a great editor. About my only complaint has been the
miserable text field size for the Find and Replace window, it not
being re-sizable. I have even corresponded with one of the makers
of this software and he found it hard to understand why anyone
would want it bigger. I did come across one or two others
earthlings who understood though... anyway, such a miserable
complaint is not a great minus for this excellent software.

I agree with you about the sizes of the fields in the find/replace
dialogue box.

If you like to write long GREP expressions you can use he command-E and
command-option-E to write them in BBEdit regular window then put them
into BBEdit Find/Replace.

With the Classic Mac OS I used to use Nisus Writer for creating
web-pages and it was fabulous. Unfortunately the "X" version of Nisus
Writer is not yet anything like as powerful as the classic version.

Nisus Writer was, as I'm sure you know, an immensely powerful text
editor as well as being a word processor :)

I think I'm getting into the way of BBEdit now though it is taking time
to adjust to it. I've only been using it for a few months as I only
changed to OS X a few months ago with my new Intel iMac. Being an Intel
Mac it won't run classic OS so no more Nisus Writer and hello BBEdit.

patrick j

As are SimpleText on less than OSX systems, TextEdit which comes with
OSX and TextWrangler, the free component of BBEdit which used to be
BBEdit Lite on OS 9 or less. Most if not all of the vi, emacs, etc...
text editors that run in terminal run on the Mac. I'm a happy BBEdit
user.

The GREP implementation in BBEdit is very good imho.

There are quite a few editors built with HTML in mind for the Mac as
listed here:

<http://www.pure-mac.com/webed.html>

Edwin van der Vaart

Duende said:
vi, vim, emacs, gedit, joe, jedit, nedit, ewisoft, netpadd, araneae, 1st
page, crimson, ezpad, acehtml, notetab light, html-kit, context, pspad,
websmill, metapad, quanta (linux), tswebeditor, notespad, grey matter
pro, editpad lite, stones webwrite, matizha sublime, nvu, SciTE,
Notepad++, CSE HTML Validator, Through the web editor, Xinha, FCK
editor, textpad, notetab, editplus, ultraedit, editpad, hypertext
studio, namo, acehtml pro, ibm websphere, spider writer, Zues, CSE HTML
Validator pro, phpedit, Winsyntax, devphp, phpcoder, Davor's PHP Editor,
php designer, phped, top php studio, dzsoft php editor, Expert Editor,
komodo, maguma studio/workbench, xmlpro2, cooktop, xray, peters xml
eiditor, morphon, xopus, editml, xmlwriter, oxygen pro, blueprint,
xmlspy, turboxml, xmlmind.

What's wrong with pointy stick and dirt editor? Have you no class at all?[/QUOTE]
Forgot to mentioned it.
Thanx for pointing to pointy stick and dirt.
--
Edwin van der Vaart
http://www.evandervaart.nl/ Edwin's persoonlijke web site

Edwin van der Vaart

Edwin van der Vaart

Duende said:

Now Nico is getting as picky as you (Picky Picky Picky).[/QUOTE]
ROFL
--
Edwin van der Vaart
http://www.evandervaart.nl/ Edwin's persoonlijke web site
24help.info, issociate.de, velocityreviews, umailcampaign.com,
gthelp.com, webfrustration.com, excip.com and many other to duplicate
this post.

Nico Schuyt

genedefcon2006 said:
Whta's your favorite HTML editor?

Pretty useless without defining the necessary requirements and checking how
many of them are fulfilled with the tool.
What information gives the answer on "What's your favorite car?" ?
Mine's EditPad Lite.

Who cares :)

Marvel

Nico Schuyt said:
Pretty useless without defining the necessary requirements and checking
how many of them are fulfilled with the tool.
What information gives the answer on "What's your favorite car?" ?
I prefer the 77 pinto wagon of course the AMC Pacer ran a close second

rich

dorayme said:
This is surely too much information? It is too deep for words.

Meh... People always go on about "tools this and features that" makes
me just say "forget it, im using Notepad." Clearly the best HTML editor
out there. Free and easy.

rich

dorayme said:
I am making a Jewish HTML/CSS editor if anyone is interested? If
you try to put div inside an <a...> </a>, it puts up a warning
like: "Hey, why be a shmuck? Your document type does not permit
element <div> in content of element <a>. Read the specs already!"

A Jewish HTML/CSS editor. Sound interesting.... any more details?

dorayme

"rich said:
dorayme wrote:

A Jewish HTML/CSS editor. Sound interesting.... any more details?

It is in an early stage of development. At the moment, at the
drop of a hat, it inserts loud Jewish Mom comments:

/* Listen, why don't you stop this nonsense, go to the club and
meet nice jewish girls/boys and get a life already */

It just happened? I am trying to limit this sort of thing. Could
prove a tad annoying... I could sell it to the moms to give their
keen web-savy sons and daughters...

rich

dorayme said:
It is in an early stage of development. At the moment, at the
drop of a hat, it inserts loud Jewish Mom comments:

/* Listen, why don't you stop this nonsense, go to the club and
meet nice jewish girls/boys and get a life already */

It just happened? I am trying to limit this sort of thing. Could
prove a tad annoying... I could sell it to the moms to give their
keen web-savy sons and daughters...

Well, i believe that it's practical use would be limited at best, but i
gotta say... for sheer novelty value, thats pretty cool. Tell me when
you get it up and running, I wanna see it work!

Rich.

John Salerno

rich said:
Meh... People always go on about "tools this and features that" makes
me just say "forget it, im using Notepad." Clearly the best HTML editor
out there. Free and easy.

Are you serious? Why do people like notepad so much? There are plenty of
free text editors out there that are clearly better. Notepad has zero
features!

dorayme

John Salerno said:
rich wrote:

Are you serious? Why do people like notepad so much? There are plenty of
free text editors out there that are clearly better. Notepad has zero
features!

That's why they like it. I like cars that have less features,
bathrooms that have less, clothes that have less and so on. North
Korea without the A Bomb is better than with it. Less is more.

John Salerno

dorayme said:
That's why they like it. I like cars that have less features,
bathrooms that have less, clothes that have less and so on. North
Korea without the A Bomb is better than with it. Less is more.

But is there even a way to change the indent level? Mine seems to be
stuck at 8 spaces. I can understand why you want simple text sometimes,
but Notepad's lack of features seems to make it very inflexible.

dorayme

John Salerno said:
But is there even a way to change the indent level? Mine seems to be
stuck at 8 spaces. I can understand why you want simple text sometimes,
but Notepad's lack of features seems to make it very inflexible.

Well, I have little idea actually of Windows stuff, when I fire
up my winbox, I don't even know how to stop notepad from showing
source in a line and not wrapping, IE uses it to display
source... quite infuriating. I either make a note of what I need
to do to to fix IE6 representation of my work and wait to get
back to my Mac or else right-click on something or other and try
to see the source in WordWrap (which is fine). I assume that
Windows folk know how at least to make NP wrap, there is little
that I would want beyond this. I have a habit of eschewing
indents (though now and then when I see it done well, I think,
maybe I should try it again... looks nice and easy to read. The
trouble is that no indenting is easier to edit... trust me on
this.