    I have been asking of this group for quite a while now and always get an
    answer.
    Anyone have any ideas???
    Gonzosez, Dec 18, 2003

  2. Gonzosez

    Steven Burn Guest

    I've just installed XP Pro on one of my test systems and found it to be
    extremely slow compared to my 98se system, so I'm guessing it's got
    something to do with it's authorization/verification settings (I've not
    bothered to check them just yet..).

    --
    Regards

    Steven Burn
    Ur I.T. Mate Group
    www.it-mate.co.uk

    Keeping it FREE!

    Disclaimer:

    Steven Burn, Dec 18, 2003

  3. XP Pro probably has some overhead because it can join the domain, and
    participate in all the things that entails (such as using encryption to
    check share permissions against Active Directory or the DC, rather than just
    passing credentials in clear text).

    Unfortunately, it is doubtful that you will find a large number of people in
    an ASP group to help you troubleshoot network performance, particularly
    since we don't know how your network is configured, and obviously don't have
    access to it. You might have as much luck in a SQL Server or Led Zeppelin
    or Star Wars group... after all, they must all be using computers, right?

    I recommend posting again in the XP/9x network newsgroups (assuming, of
    course, that you have let a reasonable amount of time pass before giving up
    and posting in an unrelated group). Also, since other people have seen the
    same behavior, you might search groups.google.com for previous
    conversations...

    --
    Aaron Bertrand
    SQL Server MVP

    Aaron Bertrand - MVP, Dec 18, 2003
  4. Gonzosez

    Ray at Guest

    Assuming you've checked the obvious possible hardware causes...

    If the file in on an NT PDC or BDC, uninstall SP1 off your XP machine and
    wait for SP2 to come out, if it hasn't already. Either that, or don't use a
    domain controller as a file server. If the NT server is just a member
    server, try posting in that Star Wars group.

    Ray at home

    Ray at, Dec 18, 2003
  5. Gonzosez

    Gonzosez Guest

    Yes I have checked all the obvious things that I could think of.
    I also posted to the NT and XP groups and got no response.
    I would also imagine that this group could shed a whole lot of light on Led
    Zeppelin if the right question was asked.
    As for the Star Wars group I may have to try that, Yoda may be monitoring.
    Thanks for your help

    Gonzosez, Dec 18, 2003
  6. Gonzosez

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 10:52:46 -0500, "Gonzosez" <>
    wrote:

    >Problem---
    >NT 4.0 server patched to the max
    >XP Pro client patched to the max
    >This is on my LAN
    >
    >File access time from the xp client can take up to 1 minute.
    >to access the same file from a Win 98 client 3 seconds.
    >
    >I have been to the xp and nt groups and can even get anyone to respond
    >I have been asking of this group for quite a while now and always get an
    >answer.
    >Anyone have any ideas???

    Except it's not an IIS issue, and you really should be asking in the
    correct groups. You also need to provide a lot more specifics as to
    your network configuration, such as whether or not you have WINS
    enabled, whether you've disabled the "Register this connection in DNS"
    checkbox, what protocols other than TCP/IP you mkight be using,
    whether you're in a domain or workgroup and so on.

    Jeff
    Jeff Cochran, Dec 18, 2003
  7. Gonzosez

    Steven Burn Guest

    "> Nope. Sorry. We can only shed a whole lotta love on Led Zeppelin...
    (O:="

    HEAR HEAR!

    --
    Regards