    possibilities.

    Any thoughts are appreciated,

    David

    =?Utf-8?B?RENDLTcwMA==?=, Jan 5, 2006

  2. Have you verified that this problem exists only in debugging? Try doing
    the sort while not debugging. If the time is the same, it's not a
    debugging issue.

    BTW, are you caching the dataset, or refetching the data each time? If
    caching, where are you storing it?

    --
    craig
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET

    Craig Deelsnyder, Jan 5, 2006

  3. Re: when debugging long delay before hitting breakpoint in page lo

    - I have tried caching the data, and storing in viewestate with the same
    result.
    - It takes about the same time to run when not debugging.

    It is just odd that I don't even see the Page Load event in the debugger
    before the time has elapsed, so it must be executing the code before stepping
    through it in the debugger. This just makes it a little difficult to use the
    debugger to see where a delay is. Here I know it has to be the sort. I am
    just wondering if this is by design, or if there are different settings that
    can adjust this.

    Thanks for the input,

    David

    =?Utf-8?B?RENDLTcwMA==?=, Jan 6, 2006
  4. Re: when debugging long delay before hitting breakpoint in page lo

    No, it is not the sort. I tried commenting out the sort, and it still takes
    just as long to load. It does not take long to load the page initially, just
    on postback. Very weird. Maybe something is timing out before the page is

    Any thoughts?

    Thanks,

    David

    =?Utf-8?B?RENDLTcwMA==?=, Jan 6, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?RENDLTcwMA==?=

    Damien Guest

    DCC-700 wrote:
    > - I have tried caching the data, and storing in viewestate with the same
    > result.
    > - It takes about the same time to run when not debugging.
    >
    > It is just odd that I don't even see the Page Load event in the debugger
    > before the time has elapsed, so it must be executing the code before stepping
    > through it in the debugger. This just makes it a little difficult to use the

    It is not executing the code before letting you step through it. Such a
    debugger would be pretty pointless. (And wouldn't allow you to move the
    execution point)

    It's almost certainly the viewstate being reconstructed. If you view
    source of the page in the browser, how large is the viewstate field?

    Damien

    Damien, Jan 6, 2006
  6. Re: when debugging long delay before hitting breakpoint in page lo

    You are correct.

    I had left a line of code in Page_Load that was putting the dataset into the
    ViewState. So even when I was trying different things in teh data grid sort
    command, it was still always loading the dataset into the viewstate. Now the
    page loads right away.

    Much thanks.

    =?Utf-8?B?RENDLTcwMA==?=, Jan 9, 2006