when document.referrer give blockedReferrer?

kuok benny

Hi,

I am trying to use the document.referrer to get the referrer of my
home page. Occationally, I get the value of
'blockedReferrer'. Actually how this happen, how the client blocked the
function of document.referrer. I just want to verify how this could be
done within the browser e.g. IE, Netcape and so on... what Internet
option have them activate or not activate to make me to have the value
'blockedReferrer'?
Thanks in advance.

regards,
benny ;-)

Grant Wagner

kuok said:
Hi,

I am trying to use the document.referrer to get the referrer of my
home page. Occationally, I get the value of
'blockedReferrer'. Actually how this happen, how the client blocked the
function of document.referrer. I just want to verify how this could be
done within the browser e.g. IE, Netcape and so on... what Internet
option have them activate or not activate to make me to have the value
'blockedReferrer'?
Thanks in advance.

In Gecko-based browsers, you can change the value of
network.http.sendRefererHeader (don't know what to change it to, 0 maybe?).
You can also just install an Extension that does it. Tabbrowser Extensions
(<url: http://piro.sakura.ne.jp/xul/_tabextensions.html.en />) can do it,
or you could use something like refspoof (<url: http://refspoof.mozdev.org/
/>).

In Internet Explorer, I don't know if there is a Registry entry to set the
referrer permanently (Google searches seem to indicate there is not), but
lots and lots of "firewall/popup blocking/browser security" type software
(Norton Internet Security, Window Washer (?), Proxomitron, etc) that can do
it.

In Netscape 4, you edit prefs.js and set
user_pref("network.sendRefererHeader", false);

In Opera 7.54, it's Tools > Preferences > Privacy, uncheck Enable referrer
logging.

Basically, it's easy enough in all browsers (and in fact some users
probably block it without even realizing it) that it can not be relied on.