When is it a good idea to convert DB to XML on server?

Discussion in 'XML' started by bissatch@yahoo.co.uk, Mar 6, 2007.

    When might you convert a database to XML format. I have read cases
    where it allows you to seperate the application logic from the data
    logic (have i got them right?) in a more application design approach.
    I like this idea, but would this only apply to large projects or where
    you are definetely sharing content across various platforms or over
    the internet? I would apply this to most projects but speed
    performance (with the added convertion to XML and then parsing the
    XML) and the added time required to build the DB->XML conversion
    process concern me.

    I understand that when sharing content over HTTP or sharing content
    between paltforms (desktop, mobile devices) but are there any other
    time where you may adopt this? Basically Im just trying to grasp a
    better idea of application design and this is one area Im unclear
    about. If anyone could shed a little light on the matter it would be
    much appreciated.

    Burnsy
    , Mar 6, 2007

  2. > When might you convert a database to XML format.

    In general: You wouldn't. You might export information from a database
    into XML format, or import XML into a database. Or, if you have
    hierarchical data, you might use a database designed specifically for it
    such as the PureXML features now available in DB2.

    But the value of XML is as an interchange format, not as a back-end format.

    Joe Kesselman, Mar 7, 2007