when page timeout

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by rodchar, Mar 27, 2008.

  1. rodchar

    rodchar Guest

    hey all,
    what do i have to do to make it where if my page is timed out to
    automatically go back to login screen?

    thanks,
    rodchar
    rodchar, Mar 27, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. If a page times out because you have some long-running process going on,
    there's not much you can do at that point. Your user would still be logged
    in, why do you need to take them back to the login page? Better to refactor
    in such a way that you run the process on a background thread rather than
    tying up page processing.
    -- Peter
    Site: http://www.eggheadcafe.com
    UnBlog: http://petesbloggerama.blogspot.com
    Short Urls & more: http://ittyurl.net


    "rodchar" wrote:

    > hey all,
    > what do i have to do to make it where if my page is timed out to
    > automatically go back to login screen?
    >
    > thanks,
    > rodchar
    Peter Bromberg [C# MVP], Mar 27, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. rodchar

    rodchar Guest

    well i mean if a user has left their desk and has no activity.

    "Peter Bromberg [C# MVP]" wrote:

    > If a page times out because you have some long-running process going on,
    > there's not much you can do at that point. Your user would still be logged
    > in, why do you need to take them back to the login page? Better to refactor
    > in such a way that you run the process on a background thread rather than
    > tying up page processing.
    > -- Peter
    > Site: http://www.eggheadcafe.com
    > UnBlog: http://petesbloggerama.blogspot.com
    > Short Urls & more: http://ittyurl.net
    >
    >
    > "rodchar" wrote:
    >
    > > hey all,
    > > what do i have to do to make it where if my page is timed out to
    > > automatically go back to login screen?
    > >
    > > thanks,
    > > rodchar
    rodchar, Mar 27, 2008
    #3
  4. OK, well if a user has left their desk and their Forms Authentication ticket
    (cookie) has expired, then the next time they try to do something, they
    should automatically be redirected to the login page since they are no longer
    authenticated. All this stuff is set up in your web.config file.
    -- Peter
    Site: http://www.eggheadcafe.com
    UnBlog: http://petesbloggerama.blogspot.com
    Short Urls & more: http://ittyurl.net


    "rodchar" wrote:

    > well i mean if a user has left their desk and has no activity.
    >
    > "Peter Bromberg [C# MVP]" wrote:
    >
    > > If a page times out because you have some long-running process going on,
    > > there's not much you can do at that point. Your user would still be logged
    > > in, why do you need to take them back to the login page? Better to refactor
    > > in such a way that you run the process on a background thread rather than
    > > tying up page processing.
    > > -- Peter
    > > Site: http://www.eggheadcafe.com
    > > UnBlog: http://petesbloggerama.blogspot.com
    > > Short Urls & more: http://ittyurl.net
    > >
    > >
    > > "rodchar" wrote:
    > >
    > > > hey all,
    > > > what do i have to do to make it where if my page is timed out to
    > > > automatically go back to login screen?
    > > >
    > > > thanks,
    > > > rodchar
    Peter Bromberg [C# MVP], Mar 27, 2008
    #4
  5. rodchar

    rodchar Guest

    thank you for the tips,
    rod.

    "Peter Bromberg [C# MVP]" wrote:

    > OK, well if a user has left their desk and their Forms Authentication ticket
    > (cookie) has expired, then the next time they try to do something, they
    > should automatically be redirected to the login page since they are no longer
    > authenticated. All this stuff is set up in your web.config file.
    > -- Peter
    > Site: http://www.eggheadcafe.com
    > UnBlog: http://petesbloggerama.blogspot.com
    > Short Urls & more: http://ittyurl.net
    >
    >
    > "rodchar" wrote:
    >
    > > well i mean if a user has left their desk and has no activity.
    > >
    > > "Peter Bromberg [C# MVP]" wrote:
    > >
    > > > If a page times out because you have some long-running process going on,
    > > > there's not much you can do at that point. Your user would still be logged
    > > > in, why do you need to take them back to the login page? Better to refactor
    > > > in such a way that you run the process on a background thread rather than
    > > > tying up page processing.
    > > > -- Peter
    > > > Site: http://www.eggheadcafe.com
    > > > UnBlog: http://petesbloggerama.blogspot.com
    > > > Short Urls & more: http://ittyurl.net
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > "rodchar" wrote:
    > > >
    > > > > hey all,
    > > > > what do i have to do to make it where if my page is timed out to
    > > > > automatically go back to login screen?
    > > > >
    > > > > thanks,
    > > > > rodchar
    rodchar, Mar 28, 2008
    #5
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Bob Johnson
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    3,762
    Bob Johnson
    Aug 7, 2003
  2. Do
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    6,370
  3. bruce barker

    Re: ASPX Page Timeout - Session Timeout

    bruce barker, Jul 20, 2004, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    11,113
    ASP.Confused
    Jul 20, 2004
  4. ABC
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    387
  5. Mark Probert

    Timeout::timeout and Socket timeout

    Mark Probert, Oct 6, 2004, in forum: Ruby
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    1,283
    Brian Candler
    Oct 6, 2004
Loading...

Share This Page