When someone from Britain speaks, Americans hear a "British accent"...

muldoon

Americans consider having a "British accent" a sign of sophistication
and high intelligence. Many companies hire salespersons from Britain to
represent their products,etc. Question: When the British hear an
"American accent," does it sound unsophisticated and dumb?

Be blunt. We Americans need to know. Should we try to change the way we
speak? Are there certain words that sound particularly goofy? Please
help us with your advice on this awkward matter.

BJ in Texas

|| Americans consider having a "British accent" a sign of
|| sophistication and high intelligence. Many companies hire
|| salespersons from Britain to represent their products,etc.
|| Question: When the British hear an "American accent," does it
|| sound unsophisticated and dumb?
|| Be blunt. We Americans need to know. Should we try to change
|| the way we speak? Are there certain words that sound
|| particularly goofy? Please help us with your advice on this
|| awkward matter.

Which of the British accents?

BJ

Grant Edwards

Americans consider having a "British accent" a sign of sophistication
and high intelligence.

That depends on the accent. I believe that's probably true for
the educated south of England, BBC, received pronunciation. I
don't think that's true for some of the other dialects from
northern areas (e.g. Liverpool) or the "cockney" accent.
Many companies hire salespersons from Britain to represent
their products,etc. Question: When the British hear an
"American accent," does it sound unsophisticated and dumb?

I too have always wondered about this.

Michael Hoffman

muldoon said:
Americans consider having a "British accent" a sign of sophistication
and high intelligence. Many companies hire salespersons from Britain to
represent their products,etc. Question: When the British hear an
"American accent," does it sound unsophisticated and dumb?

Be blunt. We Americans need to know.

To be blunt, I have no idea what this has to do with Python. Surely
selecting the right forum to use indicates more sophistication and high
intelligence than the way one speaks. ;-)

Grant Edwards

To be blunt, I have no idea what this has to do with Python.

Monty Python was mostly Brits?
Surely selecting the right forum to use indicates more
sophistication and high intelligence than the way one speaks.
;-)

Well, there is that...

muldoon

Michael said:
To be blunt, I have no idea what this has to do with Python. Surely
selecting the right forum to use indicates more sophistication and high
intelligence than the way one speaks. ;-)

This is from California, not far from where they did the old atomic
bomb tests. Be tolerant. Mutation you know.

Now, what forum would you recommend? Any help would be appreciated.

Robert Kern

muldoon said:
Now, what forum would you recommend? Any help would be appreciated.

Not here. Beyond that, you're on your own.

--
Robert Kern
(e-mail address removed)

-- Richard Harter

Grant Edwards

Thats like posting about Google here because the newsgroup is hosted on
Google.

Except the newsgroup isn't "hosted on Google", and it's far
less interesting than Monty Python.

Mike Holmans

That depends on the accent. I believe that's probably true for
the educated south of England, BBC, received pronunciation. I
don't think that's true for some of the other dialects from
northern areas (e.g. Liverpool) or the "cockney" accent.

I too have always wondered about this.

Since you've acknowledged that it's only the RP accent which gets that
respect in the US (and since I speak it, I rather enjoy my visits
across the pond) and others are either cute or obvious hicks, it
shouldn't be a surprise that the same applies to the wide range of
accents used by Americans.

The strong Appalachian accent of the guide who took us round some
caves in WV last year was the epitome of unsophistication - although
what he said was extremely informative and delved into some advanced
science.

My wife's an Okie, but she speaks the US equivalent of RP - the one
used by newsreaders on the main terrestrial TV networks and which is
commonly thought to be used mostly in Ohio and other places just south
of the Great Lakes. If there's such a thing as a standard "American
accent", that's it. It neither sounds dumb nor clever - just American.

Some of those sonorous slow talkers from the South, and majestic bass
African-Americans like James Earl Jones or Morgan Freeman, have far
more gravitas than any English accent can: to us, such people sound
monumental.

But most of the obviously regional accents in the US sound cute or
picturesque, while the ones Americans tend to regard as hick accents
just sound comical.

The problem which a lot of fairly-midstream American accent users face
is that it's the same sort of thing which Brits try and imitate when
they want to suggest a snake-oil salesman. At bottom, an American
accent doesn't mark someone out to a Brit as dumb or unsophisticated,
but the immediate suspicion generated is that they're a phony and
likely to be saying stuff without much regard for its accuracy.

Cheers,

Mike

Michael Hoffman

This is from California, not far from where they did the old atomic
bomb tests. Be tolerant. Mutation you know.

First you say "be blunt," now you say "be tolerant?" Make up your mind!

;-)

c d saunter

Michael Hoffman ([email protected]) wrote:
: muldoon wrote:
: > Americans consider having a "British accent" a sign of sophistication
: > and high intelligence. Many companies hire salespersons from Britain to
: > represent their products,etc. Question: When the British hear an
: > "American accent," does it sound unsophisticated and dumb?
: >
: > Be blunt. We Americans need to know.

: To be blunt, I have no idea what this has to do with Python. Surely
: selecting the right forum to use indicates more sophistication and high
: intelligence than the way one speaks. ;-)

Well you could draw a tenuous Python link on the headache inducing subject of
trying to remember which spelling is which when doing
something like:

thirdparty_module_1.color = thirdparty_module_2.colour

cds

James Stroud

Frankly, I can't watch Shakespeare or movies like "the full monty" or
"trainspotting" because I can't understand a damn word they say. British talk
sounds like gibberish to me for the most part. Out of all of these movies,
the only thing I ever could understand was something like "I've got the beast
in my sights misses Pennymoney". Haaar! Wow, that's a good one.

I think James Bond did it for Americans. He always wore a dinner jacket and
played a lot of backarack--which is only cool because you have to bet a lot
of money. Anyway, if you insist on making distinctions between the backwoods
of apalachia and european aristocracy, I should remind you of the recessive
genetic diseases that have historically plagued europe's nobility.

Americans consider having a "British accent" a sign of sophistication
and high intelligence. Many companies hire salespersons from Britain to
represent their products,etc. Question: When the British hear an
"American accent," does it sound unsophisticated and dumb?

Be blunt. We Americans need to know. Should we try to change the way we
speak? Are there certain words that sound particularly goofy? Please
help us with your advice on this awkward matter.

--
James Stroud
Box 951570
Los Angeles, CA 90095

http://www.jamesstroud.com/

Grant Edwards

Grant Edwards napisa³(a):

Are you sure there are no Brits in Minneapolis?

There are plenty of Brit's in Minneapolis. My favorite radio
DJ is one of them.

Perhap's Gilliam has lived in Britain long enough to be
considered a Brit, but he was born in Minneapolis, graduated
from College in LA, and didn't move to Britain until he was
something like 27. I believe he has British citizenship, so if
that's the criterion, he's a Brit now. However, back when he
was in Monty Python, he'd only lived in England for few years.

Erik Max Francis

Mike said:
My wife's an Okie, but she speaks the US equivalent of RP - the one
used by newsreaders on the main terrestrial TV networks and which is
commonly thought to be used mostly in Ohio and other places just south
of the Great Lakes. If there's such a thing as a standard "American
accent", that's it. It neither sounds dumb nor clever - just American.

The linguistic term for that accent, by the way, is General American.
The problem which a lot of fairly-midstream American accent users face
is that it's the same sort of thing which Brits try and imitate when
they want to suggest a snake-oil salesman.

And due to overcorrection, typically do a really bad job of it :).

Grant Edwards

I think James Bond did it for Americans. He always wore a
dinner jacket and played a lot of backarack--which is only
cool because you have to bet a lot of money. Anyway, if you
insist on making distinctions between the backwoods of
apalachia and european aristocracy,

What, you think they sound the same?
I should remind you of the recessive genetic diseases that
have historically plagued europe's nobility.

If don't think the English are willing to laugh at the
nobility, you must not have seen the "Twit of the Year" skit or
the election skit with what's-his-name (pronounced "mangrove
throatwarbler").

Grant Edwards

And due to overcorrection, typically do a really bad job of it :).

That reminds me of a character in one of the old Dr. Who
series. I thought this character had some sort of speach
impediment. After a few episodes I caught a few cultural
allusions made by the character and it finally dawned on me the
the character was supposed to be an _American_.

I assume that when I try to speak with a British accent I sound
just as bad to a Brit.