    take any longer to develop in ASP.Net.

    So those are my thoughts but I am not an experience dot net developer,
    so tell me what I am missing.

    tom c, Oct 31, 2006

  2. tom c

    AgentX Guest

    tom c wrote:
    > What are the reasons you would decide to do a dot net app in the
    > Windows desk top mode, rather than in ASP.Net? I am being asked to
    > make a recomendation and I can not think of any reason to go with desk
    > top, even for something that is only going to run on one desk top
    > computer at a time.

    Even if you're going to run it on one desktop at a time, keeping the
    application on a server gives it flexibility and a more centralized form
    of management. Also you don't have to account for local issues with your
    application, just server/client stuff.

    > So those are my thoughts but I am not an experience dot net developer,
    > so tell me what I am missing.

    In all fairness, I'm also fairly new to ASP.NET, but I'm not new as a
    web developer. So take my comments for what they're worth.

    AgentX, Oct 31, 2006

  3. tom c

    Scott M. Guest

    ASP.NET applications will offer greater management when it comes to updating
    and scaling the application.

    Client (desktop mode as you put it) applications may offer better
    performance.

    It is unrealistic to expect that clients will have IIS installed (it's not
    even available in XP Home, only XP Pro and even there it is not installed by
    default) and even if it is, it is not really the best way to run a client
    application in the first place.

    Scott M., Oct 31, 2006
  4. tom c

    Steve B. Guest

    Building rich ASP.Net client is often more complex than building rich Win
    apps.
    Do not forget that a windows app should act as a client of a web service, or
    a wcf service (if you use .Net 3.0).

    If you build your application in a SOA fashion, you can even have a full
    rich windows APP that is a client of a service somewhere on a server, or a
    "less" rich web application for users that does not have the windows app
    installed.

    Concerning the managability, a lot of developpers say a windows app is a bit
    more difficult to maintain because of deployment scenario. They are right,
    but some home made updater or clickonce technologies can override this
    limitation... you can ensure the client app is running the correct version.

    Finally, the scalability is easier to raise with a windows app if it uses
    the disconnect mode (using local cache - datasets - to work and send updates
    to the server when it is finished), in opposition to a web application that
    will continously serve pages to users (that should ponderated snce, ASP.net
    can serve a huge number of pages on small servers...)...

    To resume, you have to deal with the pro and cons of each technologies...
    there is not yet an "ultimate" way to do your app.

    Steve

    Steve B., Oct 31, 2006
  5. If you design the majority of your funcationality in libraries, you can
    easily switch UIs. This, of course, is not the architecture you generally
    see out there.

    In most cases, I stick to web, unless I have control of the machines that
    are running the applications (on the Intranet) or I have a need for smart
    client features. Disconnected apps tend to be smart client or windows
    mobile. But, as more machines are hooked up and dialed in, this is not a
    hard, fast rule.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Think outside of the box!

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), Oct 31, 2006
  6. tom c

    tom c Guest

    Thank you all for your very useful thoughts. I have learned a lot
    here. Please post any additional thoughts you have.

    tom c, Nov 1, 2006