When using collapsing/expanding DIVs in IE6 container does not expand.

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Chris K., Jun 3, 2008.

  1. Chris K.

    Chris K. Guest

    Hello,

    I have some simple javascript and CSS styles that allow for a DIV to expand
    and collapse based on what a person clicks on. The CSS fully validates and
    there are no errors.

    The problem is that in Internet Explorer 6 when a DIV is expanded the
    container of the DIV does not expand so the contents of the DIV are shown
    past the edges of the container. The URL for the site is below.

    https://wesleyseminary.edu/support/donatestep1.asp

    The problem is not with IE7, Opera, Firefox, or even Konquerer.

    Only with IE6 (would be a nice touch for earlier versions but not required!)
    when any of the events for expaning and collapsing divs (try the top radio
    buttons on the form) the bottom of the form is not expanded.

    What can I do to make this site work in IE6 like it works on all of the
    other browsers?

    Thanks for your time.

    Regards,
    Christopher Koeber

    Chris K., Jun 3, 2008

  2. Chris K.

    Bergamot Guest

    Re: When using collapsing/expanding DIVs in IE6 container does notexpand.

    Chris K. wrote:

    > The problem is that in Internet Explorer 6 when a DIV is expanded the
    > container of the DIV does not expand so the contents of the DIV are shown
    > past the edges of the container. The URL for the site is below.
    >
    > https://wesleyseminary.edu/support/donatestep1.asp

    FYI, content spilling out of its container is not limited to IE:
    http://www.bergamotus.ws/screenshots/wesleyseminary.png

    Don't set a fixed height on text blocks, especially not in px units,
    unless you don't care if text spills out.

    --
    Berg
    now killing all posts from google groups

    Bergamot, Jun 3, 2008

  3. Chris K.

    Chris K. Guest

    Thanks so much for your time. What web browser was this? It also seems like
    the text size on your browser is set larger that normal. Is that the case?

    In either case I will try and convert text sizes to em to see how that will
    help.

    Regards,
    Christopher Koeber

    Chris K., Jun 3, 2008
  4. Chris K.

    dorayme Guest

    In article <hSd1k.904150$>,
    "Chris K." wrote:

    > Thanks so much for your time. What web browser was this? It also seems like
    > the text size on your browser is set larger that normal. Is that the case?
    >
    > In either case I will try and convert text sizes to em to see how that will
    > help.
    >

    > "Bergamot" <> wrote in message

    > > Don't set a fixed height on text blocks, especially not in px units,
    > > unless you don't care if text spills out.

    You are missing the point of Bergamot's good advice. He was not talking
    about your text size, he was talking about the blocks they are in. You
    see, if a block like a paragraph element has a fixed height and is not
    left to grow height naturally, where is the text to go when the height
    is used up. It does not matter what size the text is except in relevance
    to how quickly the height is reached.

    Please do not top post.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jun 4, 2008
  5. Chris K.

    Chris K. wrote:
    > "Bergamot" <> wrote in message
    >> Chris K. wrote:
    >>>
    >>> https://wesleyseminary.edu/support/donatestep1.asp

    >> http://www.bergamotus.ws/screenshots/wesleyseminary.png
    >> Don't set a fixed height on text blocks, especially not in px units

    > What web browser was this? It also seems like
    > the text size on your browser is set larger that normal. Is that the case?

    The browser doesn't matter, nor does the fact I use large type by
    default. What does matter is that you cannot control the user's font
    size, regardless of how much you wish otherwise.

    > In either case I will try and convert text sizes to em to see how that will
    > help.

    That won't make any difference if you keep the height:110px; on the
    container divs. Remove the height restriction and the box will size
    itself as needed to fit the content. Set a min-height if you like, but
    not a fixed height.

    And please don't top-post.
    http://web.presby.edu/~nnqadmin/nnq/nquote.html

    Bergamot, Jun 4, 2008