When was BufferedImage introduced?

Andrew Thompson

When was BufferedImage introduced?

I was just playing around with the -bootclasspath
option, and pointing javac at an old 1.1.8 rt.jar.

I threw in a LinkedList (1.2) to check it would
reject it, but was surprised when it rejected
both that and BufferedImage.

The docs for java.awt.image package state
'1.0', and the docs for BufferedImage itself
do not have a 'since' tag listed.

However, I checked the jar istelf, it was
definitely not in the java.awt.image directory
(though about 14 classes are..)

So, are the docs incomplete?
Did I miss something?

Tor Iver Wilhelmsen

Andrew Thompson said:
The docs for java.awt.image package state
'1.0',

Are you sure you didn't mix with the java.awt.Image *class* which was
there in 1.0?

Andrew Thompson

| > The docs for java.awt.image package state
| > '1.0',
|
| Are you sure you didn't mix with the java.awt.Image *class* which was
| there in 1.0?

Absolutely positive. I just looked
at the dcos for java.awt.Image and
seen the..
Since:
JDK 1.0
...right above the Field Summary
like you said, but try this..

Click the link in the _upper_ left
frame, for packages (select
java.awt.image package obviously)
That updates the _lower_ left frame
with the classes in just that package,
but at the top there is also a link to
the docs for that _package_. Click it.

In the main window now, on the right,
the package docs for java.awt.image
are listed, scroll right to the very bottom.
Well hidden down there is..

Since:
JDK 1.0
exactly the _same_ as for
java.awt.Image _class_

So, now that I have confirmed that,
the question still stands.

When was BufferedImage introduced?

Ryan Stewart

Andrew Thompson said:

| > The docs for java.awt.image package state
| > '1.0',
|
| Are you sure you didn't mix with the java.awt.Image *class* which was
| there in 1.0?

Absolutely positive. I just looked
at the dcos for java.awt.Image and
seen the..
Since:
JDK 1.0
..right above the Field Summary
like you said, but try this..

Click the link in the _upper_ left
frame, for packages (select
java.awt.image package obviously)
That updates the _lower_ left frame
with the classes in just that package,
but at the top there is also a link to
the docs for that _package_. Click it.

In the main window now, on the right,
the package docs for java.awt.image
are listed, scroll right to the very bottom.
Well hidden down there is..

Since:
JDK 1.0
exactly the _same_ as for
java.awt.Image _class_

So, now that I have confirmed that,
the question still stands.

When was BufferedImage introduced?

That "Since" statement applies to the java.awt.image package itself, not to
all the classes within it. I can't give you an exact release for
BufferedImage, but I can tell you it doesn't appear in the 1.1.8 API specs
and it does appear in the 1.2.2 specs.

Ryan Stewart

Ryan Stewart said:
That "Since" statement applies to the java.awt.image package itself, not to
all the classes within it. I can't give you an exact release for
BufferedImage, but I can tell you it doesn't appear in the 1.1.8 API specs
and it does appear in the 1.2.2 specs.

Three pages that claim BufferedImage was introduced in v1.2:
http://www.jinsight.com/jetchart/api/com/jinsight/jetchart/GenericGraph.html
http://stage.itp.nyu.edu/danclass/dspace/FILES/s2002/videoTrackingHandout.htm
http://www.usm.maine.edu/~mjankowski/docs/seminar2002/HTMLLinks/index_2.html

Andrew Thompson

| | |
| | > The docs for java.awt.image package state
| | > '1.0',
| |
| | Are you sure you didn't mix with the java.awt.Image *class* which was
| | there in 1.0?
|
| Absolutely positive.

Further developments, now try in on-line compiler..
http://www.physci.org/javac.jsp

Now that I try it on-line, for
DoubleBufferAnimationFrame
...it finds
Random.nextInt(int n) -> introduced 1.2, and...
Color.RED ??? as far as I can see in the docs,
that was introduced in 1.0. (both like my home
server)

OK. The On-Line compiler off my home
server is complaining on...
import java.awt.image.BufferedImage;
....package declaration.

Whereas the on-line version ignores the
declaration, and only throws an error when
you try and instantiate it. Probably due to
different compilation options for the server,
I should get to setting them soon.

But that still leaves the question of when
BufferedImage was actually introduced..

Andrew Thompson

"Ryan Stewart" ...

| > > When was BufferedImage introduced?
| Three pages that claim BufferedImage was introduced in v1.2:

That pretty much settles it as far as I am
concerned. BufferedImage was introduced
in 1.2, but there is nothing in the JDocs to
support that. Thanks Ryan.

I take it you have not had a chance to
check your email.. ;-)

See my other post re JOLC updates..