When was extended call syntax introduced?

Fredrik Lundh

Edward said:
Various documentation pages, e.g.
http://www.python.org/doc/2.3.3/lib/non-essential-built-in-funcs.html
state that the apply function has been deprecated since 2.3.

Can anyone tell me when extended call syntax was actually introduced? Neither googling nor brief
checks of the 'What's new in Python' or the pep's has turned up this information.

$ python1.5 -c "print max(*(1, 2))"
File "<string>", line 1
print max(*(1, 2))
^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax
$ python2.0 -c "print max(*(1, 2))"
2
$ python2.1 -c "print max(*(1, 2))"
2
$ python2.2 -c "print max(*(1, 2))"
2
$ python2.3 -c "print max(*(1, 2))"
2
$ python2.4 -c "print max(*(1, 2))"
2

</F>

Jim Sizelove

Edward said:
Various documentation pages, e.g.
http://www.python.org/doc/2.3.3/lib/non-essential-built-in-funcs.html
state that the apply function has been deprecated since 2.3.

Can anyone tell me when extended call syntax was actually introduced?
Neither googling nor brief checks of the 'What's new in Python' or the pep's
has turned up this information. Thanks.

Edward

It looks like the extended call syntax was added in Python 2.0. See
"What's New in Python 2.0, 9.1 Minor Langage Changes" at
http://www.amk.ca/python/2.0/new-python.html

Jim