When you hire a lame software designer to create a Starter Kit.

craigkenisston

So, I wanted to implement a very, very basic job posting capability to
one of my website. I made some searches and I found there is a JOBS
STARTER KIT !!
Wow, "it's my lucky", I thought.

I proceeded to download and install it, on a testing machine. All when
smoothly. Cool !
I rapidly went and signed up my self, the sign up process asked me to
decided whether I would be a job seeker or an employer. I picked the
first and went straight to post my résumé.
Guess what ? It worked !! Cool, I received a message about my post was
updated and it seems everything went fine.
Then .... "mmh, what next to test ?", I thought, hey let's see how the
résumé looks once posted.
I went to the proper section and received the message:
"You are not authorized to view this page!"

Oops !, I mean Oops !?, well I really meant: w t f !?
Ooh, I get it now, since I'm just a miserable job seeker I'm not
entitled to see my own résumé, of course. Wait, am I NOT entitled to
see my own résumé !? What kind of freaking mind can design a software
like this ?
Yeah, right, I can envision the engineers room "why on earth would a
job seeker search others résumés?" "That's just wrong, they should
not be allowed to do so".

Well, at least I would be entilted to see it in a sort of list? I
thought.
Well, hell NO, of course no, you please don't forget you're just a
miserable job seeker !!

Now, the installation came with 3 jobs already posted. Let's see them.
They probably have a section of "newest posting" where I can see this.
Guess what ? Hell, no !! Of course no, why on earth would one to see
the latest job listing ? What if there are a lap dancer job which would
not fit for me ? That case would make sense ... but would be that worse
that a freaking BLANK PAGE !?

Yes, a FREAKING blank page is what you get when you enter in the
website, even though there are jobs and résumés posted.

Now, this is for Microsoft: can I have my lame blog starter kit posted
on your asp.net website as well and get free propaganda to my company?
Because, hey, guess what ? the software is not directly downloadable
without having to go and visit the software website.

Because it seems, MSFT, that you don't care a s*t about what is posted
there. I thought some quality was required. I was wrong.

Rant over, thanks for listening. Have a nice day !! ;)

Jonathan Wood

In all fairness, these are *starter* kits. If you are a .NET developer
wanting to create a job Web site, I think this kit does provide some value
to you by getting you up and running faster with some working code where you
can start your ownd development. I don't think that implies a guarantee that
you'll be thrilled with what is there and no changes will be necessary.

--
Jonathan Wood
SoftCircuits Programming

[...]

Jonathan:

In all fairness, I totally agree about it is just to "start with".
But come'on, can't I see my own listing ? Does it make sense ?
Could you pass a middle term exam with a software doing that ?