    They show up in the list of newsgroups but as soon as it tries to access
    them, the reader says they don't exist and then they disappear.

    Tom
    tshad, Sep 21, 2010

  2. Martin Honnen, Sep 21, 2010

  3. tshad

    HP Guest

    HP, Sep 21, 2010
  4. Martin Honnen, Sep 21, 2010
  5. Hello HP,

    > Thanks,
    >
    > But what will be the news server name for this?
    > eg. before we use msnews.microsoft.com & now?
    > "Martin Honnen" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> tshad wrote:
    >>
    >>> Where all the newsgroups????
    >>>

    >> Gone, see
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/default.mspx.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Martin Honnen --- MVP Data Platform Development
    >> http://msmvps.com/blogs/martin_honnen/

    Tom;

    You can use news.eternal-september.org

    It's free, but you have to sign up.

    Karl
    http://unlockpowershell.wordpress.com/
    -join("6B61726C6D69747363686B65406D742E6E6574"-split"(?<=\G.{2})",19|%{[char][int]"0x$_"}
    Karl Mitschke, Sep 21, 2010
  6. tshad

    tshad Guest

    "Karl Mitschke" <> wrote in message
    > Hello HP,
    >
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> But what will be the news server name for this?
    >> eg. before we use msnews.microsoft.com & now?
    >> "Martin Honnen" <> wrote in message

    >>> Gone, see
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/default.mspx.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>>
    >>> Martin Honnen --- MVP Data Platform Development
    >>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/martin_honnen/

    > Tom;
    >
    > You can use news.eternal-september.org
    >
    > It's free, but you have to sign up.

    Do I do that the same was as I do with MS newsgroups and my IE Express?

    Are all the newsgroups there?

    Thanks,

    Tom

    tshad, Sep 22, 2010
  7. tshad

    tshad Guest

    > tshad wrote:
    >> Where all the newsgroups????

    > Gone, see http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/default.mspx.

    I looked there and can't find the sql server programmers newsgroups.

    I also don't like the setup much. I would like to sort by author but there
    doesn't seem to be there.

    I also only need about 7 newsgroups - can't see how to only see those.

    Tom

    tshad, Sep 22, 2010
  8. tshad

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    On 9/21/2010 4:54 AM, tshad wrote:
    > Where all the newsgroups????
    >
    > This is about the only newsgroup on msnews.microsoft.com.
    >
    > All the newsgroups I used to use seem to have disappeared. I used to use
    > newsgroups for sqlserver, vc for asp.net, vb for asp.net and xp general.
    >
    > They show up in the list of newsgroups but as soon as it tries to access
    > them, the reader says they don't exist and then they disappear.
    >
    > Tom

    MS servers dropped NNTP from its servers, and now you must use the MS
    NNTP Bridge application (free) to get to its forums if you want to
    access the MS forums with a Usenet reader or use you use a browser to
    access to the MS forums.

    The newsgroups you talk about are still there, with very little traffic
    in them, other than C#.general, on other NNTP servers, like the ones
    below or the NNTP server I use at Earthlink.

    http://www.aioe.org/
    http://www.eternal-september.org/
    Mr. Arnold, Sep 22, 2010
  9. Hello tshad,

    > "Karl Mitschke" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Hello HP,
    >>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>>
    >>> But what will be the news server name for this?
    >>> eg. before we use msnews.microsoft.com & now?
    >>> "Martin Honnen" <> wrote in message

    >> Tom;
    >>
    >> You can use news.eternal-september.org
    >>
    >> It's free, but you have to sign up.
    >>

    > Do I do that the same was as I do with MS newsgroups and my IE
    > Express?
    >
    > Are all the newsgroups there?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Tom

    Tom;

    Yes, once you have an account, you setup your newsreader like the Microsoft
    settings, except you need to setup login information.

    Karl Mitschke, Sep 22, 2010