where are cookies written?

Jason Shohet

I need to get the computer name that the user's browser is on (intranet app
here). We don't want Netbios turned on. So, when the user logs in, the
network engineers have a file written onto the user's machine. Then, my .NET
app is going to read from that text file -- ON THE USER'S MACHINE. How to
do it... I'm thinking the only way is: Have the text file written to the
place that .NET cookies are written to. Then I'll be able to access it like
reading a cookie.

Does this sound like a good idea? If so, I assume the location only
c:\documents and settings\chuckie\cookies
where chuckie is the name of the user?

VR
Jason Shohet

Martin Dechev

Hi, Jason Shohet,

If it is an intranet application why don't you consider using the IP address
of the clients? Is there a difference if you have the machine name or if you
have the user's IP Address (or at least one of the IP addresses that are
configured on the machine)?

Greetings
Martin