Where are the line numbers in the Java console window?

Discussion in 'Java' started by Will Clark, Sep 24, 2003.

  1. Will Clark

    Will Clark Guest

    Hi there, a quick question about the ailing Microsoft JavaVM...

    I remember a time when line numbers used to appear next to the stack trace
    so that you could easily find the error in your source code... especially
    useful if you had a try/catch block encapsulating a large-ish block of code!

    Anyway, recently I reinstalled my machine (XP), put SP1 on it, discovered
    the widely documented lack of JavaVM, and managed to download it from some
    back-end of the internet! ;o)

    What I then discovered (to my horror!) was that line numbers are no longer
    there! Has anyone else had this problem, and know of a solution? No, its not
    that I've set -g:none in the compiler, as line numbers appear when using the
    Sun appletviewer program, or for that matter the Sun plugin...

    I've tried "downgrading" my VM to version 3802 (which is what I'm sure I had
    before) but no joy!

    Cheers for your help :eek:)

    Will

    (PS. Please reply to the newgroup as I have had far too many junk emails the
    other way! Sorry!)

    Will Clark, Sep 24, 2003

  2. Will Clark

    Chris Smith Guest

    Will Clark wrote:
    > Hi there, a quick question about the ailing Microsoft JavaVM...
    >
    > I remember a time when line numbers used to appear next to the stack trace
    > so that you could easily find the error in your source code... especially
    > useful if you had a try/catch block encapsulating a large-ish block of code!

    Are you sure the line numbers were there. I don't recall ever seeing
    line numbers in stack traces from the Microsoft VM. Perhaps you had the
    Sun VM set to handle the APPLET tag via a recent version of the Java
    PlugIn?

    --
    www.designacourse.com

    MindIQ Corporation

    Chris Smith, Sep 25, 2003

  3. Will Clark

    Will Clark Guest

    Aha, it has taken me all this time, several reinstalls, and an installation
    and de-installation of MS's Visual J++ and then a total reinstall (just for
    good measure!) to find the answer!...

    There is a little program called setdebug.exe in the WINDOWS directory which
    once run enables the line numbers to be displayed in the Microsoft VM
    console.

    Cheers :eek:)

    Will

    Will Clark, Oct 14, 2003