Where can I find documentation for data[:,9]

Cal Who

data = readdata( 'data/input.dat', delimiter = ',' )

input = data[:, :9]#nine data columns

Where can I find documentation for the

data[:,9]

in the code above.

Been looking and found many examples but would like to know the definition.

I need to skip the first column and then read 9

I would also like to print the data in ihe variable "input"

Thanks

Robert Kern

data = readdata( 'data/input.dat', delimiter = ',' )

input = data[:, :9]#nine data columns

Where can I find documentation for the

data[:,9]

in the code above.

Been looking and found many examples but would like to know the definition.

When asking questions like this, it helps *a lot* to provide a complete example,
not just a snippet. If I weren't already intimately familiar with the library
you are using, I would have no idea how to help you.

However, I do know that input object is a numpy array, and the syntax you are
asking about is multidimensional slicing.

http://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy/reference/arrays.indexing.html
I need to skip the first column and then read 9

data[:, 1:10]
I would also like to print the data in ihe variable "input"

print input

--
Robert Kern

an underlying truth."
-- Umberto Eco

Cal Who

Robert Kern said:
[...]

enigma
that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it
had
an underlying truth."
-- Umberto Eco
Thanks, that helped a lot.

I'm having trouble knowing what to search for to find documenatation. For
example, is print a Python command, a numpy command or a java command?

I like to read the documentation even if the command is working for me.

Thanks again

Martin P. Hellwig

On 03/11/10 22:08, Cal Who wrote:
Thanks, that helped a lot.

I'm having trouble knowing what to search for to find documenatation. For
example, is print a Python command, a numpy command or a java command?

I like to read the documentation even if the command is working for me.

Thanks again
Probably for you the right way would be to familiarize yourself with the
namespace concept of Python, this makes it easier to identify whether
something is built-in, a standard module or an external module.
Which makes it much easier to feed google the right clues.

Cal Who

Martin P. Hellwig said:
On 03/11/10 22:08, Cal Who wrote:

Probably for you the right way would be to familiarize yourself with the
namespace concept of Python, this makes it easier to identify whether
something is built-in, a standard module or an external module.
Which makes it much easier to feed google the right clues.

Thanks a lot, I'll look that up now.