    --
    Nathan Sokalski

    http://www.nathansokalski.com/
    Nathan Sokalski, Jul 7, 2008

  2. Nathan Sokalski

    clintonG Guest

    BrowserCapabilities object

    clintonG, Jul 7, 2008

  3. You obviously misunderstood my question. Page.Request.Browser.Browser
    returns a String, such as IE for Internet Explorer. I am using this value to
    determine what browser the user is using, and in order to do this I
    obviously need to know what values different browsers will give. Any ideas
    where I can find out what these values are? Thanks.

    Nathan Sokalski, Jul 7, 2008
  4. re:
    !> Where can I find out what values are submitted by different browsers for Page.Request.Browser.Browser?

    Nathan,

    In the config\Browsers directory of the .Net Framework 2 :
    Drive:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\CONFIG\Browsers

    There's a set of browser config files, named *.browser
    which you can use to build a basic list of values.

    Open each .browser file with a pure text editor, and look for the .browser name entries.

    For example, Palm's entry is "MyPalm" :

    <capability name="browser" value="MyPalm" />

    For any other browser not listed there, you'll need to create a .browser file for it.

    Here's an article which shows how to create a blackberry.browser file :
    http://www.codeproject.com/KB/aspnet/BlackberryASPNET.aspx

    If you create a new .browser definition file, you must update the browser definitions assembly :

    Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    ======================================

    Juan T. Llibre, Jul 7, 2008
  5. OK, I guess that answers my question, but based on what I saw when looking
    at the files, it's a little confusing as to what value will be returned (for
    some, it looked like it was a different value depending on the browser
    version). So I would like to ask if there is a more efficient way to do
    browser detection? Most of the stuff I have written did not really involve
    browser detection, since I have usually concentrated on the server-side
    code, and any JavaScript that I did need to write and/or generate was
    relatively simple. What technique do most ASP.NET developers use when doing
    browser detection (not capabilities detection, just which browser)? Thanks.

    Nathan Sokalski, Jul 8, 2008