    Regards,
    sweet_dreams.

    , Apr 24, 2006

  2. >>>>> "sweet" == sweet dreams <> writes:

    sweet> I am programmer with 2 years experience in ASP and Visual Basic and one

    sweet> year experience in PHP/MySQL. Now I am changing job but I still would
    sweet> like to be in charge of programmiong web sites. Do you think I should
    sweet> learn PERL? In what appliocations PERL can be useful? Is PERL the way
    sweet> to enhance web sites created in PHP?

    PERL? You mean Protecting Escarpment Rural Lands
    at www.perlofburlington.org ?

    I didn't know a canadian non-profit organization can be used for
    building websites. After all, their website is pretty junky.

    If you're talking about the subject of *this* newsgroup, it's
    "Perl" for the language, or "perl" for the primary execution program.

    Randal L. Schwartz, Apr 24, 2006

  3. On 24 Apr 2006 06:33:49 -0700, wrote:

    >hi all,
    >I am programmer with 2 years experience in ASP and Visual Basic and one
    >
    >year experience in PHP/MySQL. Now I am changing job but I still would
    >like to be in charge of programmiong web sites. Do you think I should
    >learn PERL? In what appliocations PERL can be useful? Is PERL the way
    >to enhance web sites created in PHP?

    Perl (with a capital "P" - but not fully capitalized as it is *not* an
    acronym) is a full-fledged language. Indeed one typical but by no
    means exclusive area of application for it is web development. This is
    a Perl newsgroup, so you're likely to receive answers telling you that
    yes, you should learn it. But I'll give you an advice: don't give the
    impression of mistaking Perl for a "programmiong web sites" thing -
    this will get on the nerves of many regulars here, and rightly IMHO.

    If you ask me, taking for granted that Perl is suitable for the task
    you describe, and that there are current frameworks which are "hot
    topics" related to it, e.g. catalyst or maypole, then I'd just say
    that you should try to pick it up and see if you like it. With
    languages it's just like with so many other things: you may like them
    or dislike them and there may not be a "rational", universal reason
    why. Some feel comfortable with Python's "there must be only one way
    to do it" philosophy and forced indentation - I couldn't get away from
    Perl's free form and magic. It's up to you to check whether it is
    appropriate for your tastes and if it will provide a tool you will be
    *happy* to work with...

    Michele

    Michele Dondi, Apr 24, 2006
  4. wrote in news:1145885629.274499.195620
    @y43g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

    > hi all,
    > I am programmer with 2 years experience in ASP and Visual Basic and one
    >
    > year experience in PHP/MySQL. Now I am changing job but I still would
    > like to be in charge of programmiong web sites. Do you think I should
    > learn PERL? In what appliocations PERL can be useful? Is PERL the way
    > to enhance web sites created in PHP?

    No. Perl is useless. You would be wasting your time.

    Sinan
    --
    A. Sinan Unur <>

    A. Sinan Unur, Apr 24, 2006
  5. Matt Garrish Guest

    "Randal L. Schwartz" <> wrote in message

    > sweet> I am programmer with 2 years experience in ASP and Visual Basic and
    > one
    >
    > sweet> year experience in PHP/MySQL. Now I am changing job but I still
    > would
    > sweet> like to be in charge of programmiong web sites. Do you think I
    > should
    > sweet> learn PERL? In what appliocations PERL can be useful? Is PERL the
    > way
    > sweet> to enhance web sites created in PHP?
    >
    > PERL? You mean Protecting Escarpment Rural Lands
    > at www.perlofburlington.org ?
    >
    > I didn't know a canadian non-profit organization can be used for
    > building websites. After all, their website is pretty junky.

    So is their city... : )

    Matt

    Matt Garrish, Apr 24, 2006
  6. jdrago_999 Guest

    Hi SD,

    (People are very picky about how you spell Perl).

    Yes, Perl would probably help you out a lot. I have been using Perl
    "since the 90's" and it's helped me out a lot. I can only expect that
    it can help you too.

    Here are some tips that will help you get going:

    1) Pick up a copy of "Programming Perl", also known as "The Camel
    Book". Read it from page 1 all the way to the end. If you don't find
    the book entertaining, funny, informative and insightful you may as
    well stop right away and go learn Java or .NET.

    2) Find yourself a good Perl editor. If you are using Windows on your
    personal computer, check out OptiPerl from www.xarka.com - otherwise
    you may be best with VI or Komodo.

    3) Go to http://search.cpan.org/ and just *LOOK* to see what kinds of
    modules there are out there. It is truly amazing all the wonderful
    extensions to Perl that have been written by its thousands of users. I
    can't think of a single project I have worked on using Perl that has
    not benefited from the use of many CPAN modules.

    4) Go to http://www.perlmonks.org/ and read the archives. That site
    has answers to every newbie question you will ever ask. Reading the
    answers there will save yourself time, and will prevent others from
    becoming annoyed by answering questions that have been answered dozens
    of times already.

    Although I recognize that I speak only for myself, it seems to me that
    the Perl community is largely made up of the following:
    1 -> Newbies that refer to Perl as "PERL" or CGI. These tend to find
    "PERL" scripts on Hotscripts.com and frequently post here asking "My
    server give me a 500 error - what this mean?????????"

    2 -> Perl elitist assholes (see the other replies to your question).
    They latched onto Perl a long time ago and, if not for their
    contributions to Perl and their advocacy of it, would have been booed
    off a long time ago as well.

    3 -> Geniuses ( Larry Wall, Audrey Tang, Damion Conway, Tim Bunce, Tony
    Bowden, Elizabeth Mattijsen, Leo Tolsch, Ovid, chromatic, etc, etc,etc
    ). These are Visionaries and Saints that save thousands of Perl
    hackers lifetimes of work every day, simply by making their hard work
    available to the public.

    Good luck and happy coding.
    - John Drago

    jdrago_999, Apr 24, 2006
  7. jdrago_999 Guest

    I should point out that one of the other people who replied to your
    post happened to co-author "Programming Perl".

    This pretty much validates my second point above.

    jdrago_999, Apr 24, 2006
  8. Matt Garrish Guest

    "jdrago_999" <> wrote in message
    >"jdrago_999" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Here are some tips that will help you get going:
    >>

    >> 2) Find yourself a good Perl editor. If you are using Windows on your
    >> personal computer, check out OptiPerl from www.xarka.com - otherwise
    >> you may be best with VI or Komodo.

    >I should point out that one of the other people who replied to your
    > post happened to co-author "Programming Perl".
    >
    > This pretty much validates my second point above.

    That validates getting a good Perl editor? Rather than espousing the world
    according to Drago you might consider learning how to post properly, and
    just maybe make some effort to contribute something useful. If not, then you
    fit into the leecher category you forgot to mention, and I for one would
    much rather read the ramblings of an intelligent arse than a half-wit
    whiner.

    Matt

    Matt Garrish, Apr 24, 2006
  9. jdrago_999 Guest

    Matt,

    > you might consider learning how to post properly,

    I posted using Google - Where did you post?

    I'm not sure what point you're trying to make there - maybe you can
    explain.

    And you continue:
    > and just maybe make some effort to contribute something useful

    "Useful" - like a spelling lesson for someone whose first language does
    not appear to be English? Mkay...
    Speaking of Google - ever search Google using the term: "Matt Garrish"
    +troll?

    > If not, then you fit into the leecher category you forgot to mention

    Actually I'm not sure I would call that part of the "community" - maybe
    part of the "user base". However if they ask questions on the
    newsgroups or mailing lists that *result* in decent answers (which
    could possibly get indexed and become results for someone else later)
    then hey - it's better than nothing I suppose.

    There will always be "newbies" - you were one once too:
    http://groups.google.com/group/alt....cf5f1c9a2?lnk=st&q="matthew.garrish"&rnum=899
    Just under 5 years ago. You looked around at the available resources.
    You found nothing. To solve the problem you were going to have to
    "think outside the box".

    Mr. Schwartz pointed you in the right direction, without the spelling
    bee.

    If you want to contribute something useful, maybe start by stopping.
    Stop flaming people every chance you get.
    Stop adding searchable references to your history as a troll.
    Stop associating yourself with the work of those who have put you in a
    position to help, when instead you choose to attract criticism instead
    of attracting more users.
    Stop contributing to the trepidation newcomers feel when they have a
    question - they have enough problems without some asshole flaming them
    because the wrote "PERL".

    Nobody cares if you know the difference between Perl and perl.

    With advocates like you, Perl doesn't need enemies.

    jdrago_999, Apr 25, 2006
  10. "jdrago_999" <> wrote in

    > Matt,
    >
    >> you might consider learning how to post properly,

    > I posted using Google - Where did you post?

    What newsreader you use is beside the point. A proper post includes
    attributions as well as quoted material

    > And you continue:
    >> and just maybe make some effort to contribute something useful

    > "Useful" - like a spelling lesson for someone whose first language
    > does not appear to be English? Mkay...

    Are you claiming that 'useful' is supposed to be spelled differently?

    You are wrong.

    Off to the killfile you go. Bye!

    Sinan
    --
    A. Sinan Unur <>

    A. Sinan Unur, Apr 25, 2006
  11. Scamjunk Guest

    >Are you claiming that 'useful' is supposed to be spelled differently?

    Past tense of spelled is spelt! :)

    -Scam.

    Scamjunk, Apr 25, 2006
  12. "Scamjunk" <> wrote in

    >>Are you claiming that 'useful' is supposed to be spelled differently?

    > Past tense of spelled is spelt! :)

    Everyone's an English professor, I see:

    From http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary

    See the usage examples in (3).

    Main Entry: 1spell
    Pronunciation: 'spel
    Function: verb
    Inflected Form(s): spelled /'speld, 'spelt/; spellĀ·ing
    Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French espeller, of Germanic
    origin; akin to Old English spell talk
    transitive senses
    1 : to read slowly and with difficulty -- often used with out
    2 : to find out by study : come to understand -- often used with out <it
    requires some pains to spell out those decorations -- F. J. Mather>
    3 a (1) : to name the letters of in order; also : to write or print the
    letters of in order (2) : to write or print the letters of in a
    particular way <you can spell it either way> <I spelled it wrong> b : to
    make up (a word) <what word do these letters spell> c : WRITE 1b <catnip
    is spelled as one word>
    4 : to add up to : MEAN <crop failure was likely to spell stark famine
    -- Stringfellow Barr>
    intransitive senses : to form words with letters <teach children to
    spell>; also : to spell words in a certain way <spells the way he
    speaks>.

    --
    A. Sinan Unur <>

    A. Sinan Unur, Apr 25, 2006
  13. jdrago_999 Guest

    > No. Perl is useless. You would be wasting your time.

    Hey, there's no class like "no class".

    I missed this completely stale comment earlier. Nice jab.

    What exactly does the "A" stand for in your first name? Can I guess?

    jdrago_999, Apr 25, 2006
  14. jdrago_999 <> wrote:

    >> you might consider learning how to post properly,

    > I posted using Google

    Your choice of tool is irrelevant with respect to composing
    a followup following the conventions of over 20 years experience.

    Please quote trimmed context and interleave your comments like
    everyone else does.

    > Speaking of Google - ever search Google using the term: "Matt Garrish"
    > +troll?

    You look silly when you get sucked in by trolls like this
    (and I don't mean Matt).

    I looked through the 1st half dozen or so.

    "rm" is a rabid troll that forges posts from other people, Matt
    happened to be one of his victims. The hateful stuff attributed
    to Matt was really "rm" posing as Matt.

    The next one was another well-established troll claiming that Matt
    was a troll (she claims that everybody that replies to her is one).

    The next few were either some other post on the same page that
    contained the "troll" part, or Matt discussing an actual troll.

    In summary, Google gets those results because Matt takes on trolls,
    not because Matt is a troll.

    You should exercise better due diligence before you make
    such negative implications.

    > Stop adding searchable references to your history as a troll.

    Stop claiming that the mere appearance of 2 terms on the same
    web page means there is a correlation between the 2 terms.

    > Nobody cares if you know the difference between Perl and perl.

    Until they say Perl when they mean perl or when they say perl
    when they mean Perl.

    --
    Tad McClellan SGML consulting
    Perl programming

    Tad McClellan, Apr 25, 2006
  15. jdrago_999 <> wrote:

    > What exactly does the "A" stand for in your first name? Can I guess?

    Going ad hominem weakens your position (and your reputation).

    Tad McClellan, Apr 26, 2006