Where do I download AppletViewer.EXE ?

D. Patrick

I need this file for use on Windows XP. Where can I download it? I've
tried searching all kinds of download files at the sun website, but I can't
tell which big SDKs have it and which don't, etc. Also, I don't want a 150
mb download just so I can use this, if that is possible.

Can someone please point me to a URL and give the name of whatever I'm
supposed to download that is the smallest footprint way of getting
AppletViewer.EXE on my computer?

Andrew T.

D. Patrick said:
I need this file for use on Windows XP.

Why do you think you need that single file for use on WinXP?

I am a Win XP user, applet user and applet developer,
and I rarely have need to use Sun's appletviewer.
..Where can I download it?

Sun microsystems.

AFAIU, the '.exe' is available with the SDK, whereas
JWS calls the classes themselves from the JRE.
..I've
tried searching all kinds of download files at the sun website, but I can't
tell which big SDKs have it and which don't, etc. Also, I don't want a 150
mb download just so I can use this, if that is possible.

Can someone please point me to a URL and give the name of whatever I'm
supposed to download that is the smallest footprint way of getting
AppletViewer.EXE on my computer?

If you are not developing applets, there is no need for the
applet viewer, if you are developing applets, you need the SDK.

Which takes me back to my original question..

Andrew T.

D. Patrick

I know I download from sun. I wrote that. But...

Would I download the Java EE 5 SDK? or the J2EE 1.4 SDK? or the J2SE v
1.4.2 SDK?

I'm new to java so I don't understand the difference and which one is the
most light weight that still gives me the AppletViewer. I need to set up
some client workstations with a batch file utility to open a URL's java
applet on bootup. But that doesn't even matter, although I'm writing that
I'm not a developer.

Mark Space

D. Patrick said:
I know I download from sun. I wrote that. But...

Would I download the Java EE 5 SDK? or the J2EE 1.4 SDK? or the J2SE v
1.4.2 SDK?

I'm new to java so I don't understand the difference and which one is the
most light weight that still gives me the AppletViewer. I need to set up
some client workstations with a batch file utility to open a URL's java
applet on bootup. But that doesn't even matter, although I'm writing that
I'm not a developer.

The Standard Edition (SE) is the most "light weight." The part about
client workstations gives me pause, but if you don't know then you
probably don't need the enterprise stuff.

(I'm developing and I don't use EE, I use SE. Lots of kruft in the EE imo.)

Lee Weiner

I know I download from sun. I wrote that. But...

Would I download the Java EE 5 SDK? or the J2EE 1.4 SDK? or the J2SE v
1.4.2 SDK?

I'm new to java so I don't understand the difference and which one is the
most light weight that still gives me the AppletViewer. I need to set up
some client workstations with a batch file utility to open a URL's java
applet on bootup. But that doesn't even matter, although I'm writing that
I'm not a developer.

It is not typical to put AppletViewer on a client workstation. AppletViewer
is for developers to use. It is typical to embed the applet in an HTML page
and use a browser on the client machine to view the applet.

Lee Weiner
lee AT leeweiner DOT org

Andrew T.

Lee Weiner wrote:
It is not typical to put AppletViewer on a client workstation. AppletViewer
is for developers to use.

[ Note that JWS also uses AppletViewer as a wrapper for
applets, though a JWS'd applet itself is hugely 'not typical' ]
..It is typical to embed the applet in an HTML page
and use a browser on the client machine to view the applet.

Yes. If the applet uses the nested OBJECT/EMBED form of the
applet element, it can even prompt the end user to download a
suitable JRE.

Andrew T.

Oliver Wong

D. Patrick said:
I know I download from sun. I wrote that. But...

Would I download the Java EE 5 SDK? or the J2EE 1.4 SDK? or the J2SE v
1.4.2 SDK?

I'm new to java so I don't understand the difference and which one is the
most light weight that still gives me the AppletViewer. I need to set up
some client workstations with a batch file utility to open a URL's java
applet on bootup. But that doesn't even matter, although I'm writing that
I'm not a developer.

As others have said, it's probably better to write your batch file to
point the user to the website hosting the applet (and let the users browser
worry about loading the applet), but if you really must do it your way, then
you would want to download the J2SE. Not sure if AppletViewer comes with the
JRE or not. If it does, then you can get the JRE. If you're not sure, you
might want to get the SDK just to be safe. Unless there's a special reason
otherwise, you should probably get the latest version which is 1.5 (AKA 5)
at the time of writing, but 1.6 (AKA 6) is coming out soon.

- Oliver