    directs me to a page with Whidbey downloads.... nothing mentioned on VSS

    TY
    Jason Shohet

    Jason Shohet, Dec 15, 2004

  2. Jason Shohet

    Karl Seguin Guest

    VSS comes on a separate CD for VS.Net Ent Architect and Ent Developer
    only...not for any other verison...you can buy it separetly though:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/howtobuy/vss/default.aspx

    In beta, VSS is dead...instead the new Visual Studio Team System has a new
    source control core..not sure what they are calling it. VS TS is only
    available to MSDN subscribers at this point...and I doubt you could use it
    with VS.Net 2003 since its no longer a stand-alone product.

    Karl

    --
    MY ASP.Net tutorials
    http://www.openmymind.net/

    Karl Seguin, Dec 15, 2004

  3. Jason Shohet

    Jason Shohet Guest

    Thanks I have enterprise architect. How to install VSS.... does part of it
    go on the developers' machines, and part on the development server (ie 1
    central server where we check in & check out) ?

    TY

    Jason Shohet, Dec 15, 2004
  4. Jason Shohet

    Karl Seguin Guest

    Yes...there's a client setup and a server setup....don't remember the
    details...should be pretty clear once you put the cd in...

    Karl

    Karl Seguin, Dec 15, 2004
  5. re:
    > In beta, VSS is dead...

    I wouldn't call VSS "dead".
    VSS 2005 is coming, which will work with VS 2005.

    See
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnvsent/html/vssmap.asp

    "To coincide with the release of Visual Studio 2005, Microsoft will offer
    Visual SourceSafe 2005, a more highly refined and integrated version
    control system that adds new and expanded capabilities for teams
    and individuals. "

    "Following minor changes in Visual SourceSafe 6.0d (released with
    Visual Studio .NET 2003), Microsoft is making more enhancements
    for Visual SourceSafe 2005."

    "These fundamental changes will improve the reliability, scalability,
    performance, and remote access capabilities of Visual SourceSafe."

    VSS looks to be quite alive!

    :)

    For an overview of Visual Studio Team System, see :
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnvsent/html/vsts-over.asp

    Juan T. Llibre

    Juan T. Llibre [MVP], Dec 16, 2004