Where does one get help??

Uncle Pirate

Al said:
I've looked at similar setups, but don't see how it's done without some
container for each part of the screen. Tables - no - because the
content of the various letters (the right hand portion) varies from one
and two liners to several screens-ful. Frames - not particularly
because I think it canbe done more cleanly with css-p.

What are you calling css-p? Styles is just plain css. It really would
be easier for everyone (anyone?) to help you if you put what you have on
a site that we could see. There are plenty of free hosts around that
you can use.

From what you are saying here, I suspect the answer is going to be
properly styled <div> elements to break the screen into sections. This
isn't the best example (needs completely redone, both code and content)
but might give you an idea of what you are after?
Now that's too much said ... comments??

Please don't use that phrasing. It reminds me too much of a troll that
inhabits rec.motorcycles. :) Piddy, is that you?

Cooordinator, Tularosa Basin Chapter, ABATE of NM; AMA#758681; COBB
'94 1500 Vulcan (now wrecked) :( http://motorcyclefun.org/Dcp_2068c.jpg

rf

Al Jones said:
Problem being, I am simply unable to get the two soldiers on the screen to
appear over the background and at the top of the page.

I remember looking at that. It's seemed like a known problem so I just moved
on to allow some of the newcomers to answer. Obviously they did not.

Now, what is the the URL again? I just searched the five original posts you
have made during the last month and can't seem to find a URL anywhere.
I have another project - javascript - that has my attention at the moment
(this is *my* toy, the other is a paying customer).

Now that's too much said ... comments??

A URL for each problem, and a clear description of the second problem, is
probably now required :)

Al Jones

My orignal message snipped ....
I'm pretty much a lurker, here, Al, because I have a lot to learn, too.
From what I've seen, the responses generally take on the tone of the
seeker. Come in with a chip on your shoulder, and you'll probably not
be treated the way you had in mind. That's not a personal accusation; I
don't know your posting history here; it's a general observation.
If you felt there was a chip on my shoulder it was simply my frustration
at not knowing what I want to know, not knowing enough (I feel) to ask an
intelligent question and in general just being absolutely f'ing frustrated.
The other category I see is, "Hi! I'm using FrontPage and..." being
answered (usally mid-sentence <g>) by, "Well, stop that." :) Then the
OP gets his panties in a bunch and won't see that that *is* help from
someone (usually more than one) who knows more than he does.
Don't wear panties, don't wear much at all if I can get away with it :)
and I realize that your comment is all to true ... I've seen it, and I
suppose I've done it myself a time or two.
While it's not a feel-good group ("Great game! You lost 35 to 0, but you
all played a GREAT GAME! Let's go have ice cream!"), and it shouldn't
be, as it's a tech group -- it's not a Markup Coders Death Match group,
either.
Can't find that newsgroup on my server, is it a new one ..... :)

Al Jones

OP: there's a good chance that your ISP provides some free space, unless
you're off in some place like Kamchatka, or perhaps the UK. ;)

I checked, my ISP is Direcway and with basic seervice they don't have.
However a friend of mine has generously allowed me to sling my trials and
tribulations off of her web site.

CarolW.

If we're quiet, and hide behind these on topic threads, we will soon see
someone sneaking a Flash menu into the conversation...

Shh... Quite now... here it comes...

*ahem* *points up a few threads* I did that elsewhere, but dang -
you're psychic!

Carol

Al Jones

I remember looking at that. It's seemed like a known problem so I just
moved
on to allow some of the newcomers to answer. Obviously they did not.

Now, what is the the URL again? I just searched the five original posts
you
have made during the last month and can't seem to find a URL anywhere.

A URL for each problem, and a clear description of the second problem, is
probably now required :)
Already posted in this thread somewhere.
www.brendasfire.com\amej\default.html

Three basic problems with it:
1) inconsistent behaviour across browsers.
2) the images are too low on the page
3) it uses frames.

Succinct enough? :) ((Not intended as sarcasm ....))

Neal

rf said:
A URL for each problem, and a clear description of the second
problem, is
probably now required :)

And separate threads, so we can argu\\\\post a lot more.

rf

Al Jones said:
Already posted in this thread somewhere.
www.brendasfire.com\amej\default.html

Nope. I did find this mentioned in other threads, but not this one.
Three basic problems with it:
1) inconsistent behaviour across browsers.
2) the images are too low on the page

Ah, I remember now. I am sure somebody commented on the total overkill with
the backgrounds. This is what is causing your problem.

You specify a background for the outer div. Fine. This should be sufficient.

What is covering up the images is the background for that h1 element with a
background you have in there. Those images have been removed from the flow
within the outer div. They don't exist as far as the h1's background is
concerned (in Firefox anyway). It's not surprising they are covered up :).
You could have spotted this if you had given the h1 a little bit of left
margin, say 80px. Suddenly a bit of soldier pokes out :)

Anyway, the whole thing is IMHO far too complex. Sometimes it is just better
to apply the KISS principle. I did this, throwing away everything that was
not specifically required to realize your bannar. Here is the result:
http://users.bigpond.net.au/rf/temp/j/index.html

Works across the couple of browsers I tested it on. You *may* wish include
some contitional comments to supply IE with some style that offsets its
broken box model behaviour of adding padding to the height of a div.
3) it uses frames.

Simple. Remove the frames.

You have a standard header/left nav bar/content layout here:

Season to taste.

It would be appropriate to hive all the navigaion links out into a seperate
file and use some server side process (PHP?) to include this into each of
your content pages.

Alternatively you could do with just one page and drive the content server
side. A PHP solution would be only five or six lines of PHP.

BTW you have not mentioned your javascript problem yet.

Al Jones

<< Portions snipped >>

You specify a background for the outer div. Fine. This should be
sufficient.

What is covering up the images is the background for that h1 element
with a
background you have in there. Those images have been removed from the
flow
within the outer div. They don't exist as far as the h1's background is
concerned (in Firefox anyway). It's not surprising they are covered up
:).
Ah, while trying to make sure it appeared where I wanted it - I made sure
it appeared *everywhere*... got that ...
Anyway, the whole thing is IMHO far too complex. Sometimes it is just
better
to apply the KISS principle. I did this, throwing away everything that
was
not specifically required to realize your bannar. Here is the result:
http://users.bigpond.net.au/rf/temp/j/index.html
More than I hoped for, and much simpler than I expected. Thank you, kind
sir.
Works across the couple of browsers I tested it on. You *may* wish ...
and the couple that I have to test with (refuse to download NS just to
test with!)
Simple. Remove the frames.

You have a standard header/left nav bar/content layout here:

I'm beginning to see how the div's work to replace frames and tables ...
gonna take some head banging to get it through my rather thick skull
though.

BTW you have not mentioned your javascript problem yet.
No, no, you don't get the chance to make me look really dumb twice in one
day. Seriously, it's not a problem, the problem is trying to decipher the
original BASIC code that I'm trying to emulate. It's about 200 lines of
some really funky spaghetti code.

Again, that was more than I expected and I do thank you sir.

Uncle Pirate

Al said:
Already posted in this thread somewhere.
www.brendasfire.com\amej\default.html

That helped. I hadn't seen the link. You're thinking Windows though;
use / instead of \.
Three basic problems with it:
1) inconsistent behaviour across browsers.

That's always going to be. Best you can do is get close.
2) the images are too low on the page

Change the margin using css? I can't even see them except for the feet
due to the other image overlaying them. Place each image inside of a
separate division. Read up a bit on float and on z-index at
http://stanmccann.us/refs/css/index.html or find the pages on the w3c site.
3) it uses frames.

Believe it or not, with css you can create a div that scrolls although
I've never used it so don't know how browser compatible it is though.
You'll need to go with CSS 2 to do it: http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/
Succinct enough? :) ((Not intended as sarcasm ....))

Taken that way, nonetheless, smart ass ;)
You're doing fine. Actually applying some of what you've been learning.

Cooordinator, Tularosa Basin Chapter, ABATE of NM; AMA#758681; COBB
'94 1500 Vulcan (now wrecked) :( http://motorcyclefun.org/Dcp_2068c.jpg

Blinky the Shark

Al said:
On 11 Jan 2005 19:46:05 GMT, Blinky the Shark <[email protected]> wrote:
My orignal message snipped ....
If you felt there was a chip on my shoulder it was simply my frustration
at not knowing what I want to know, not knowing enough (I feel) to ask an
intelligent question and in general just being absolutely f'ing frustrated.

Reread, please, where I said "[t]hat's not a personal accusation".
Don't wear panties, don't wear much at all if I can get away with it :)

In most cases, that would be Too Much Information, but since we already
have your picture, it's moot. ;)

http://www.mazelair.com/download.php?id=27&sid=d6ff74e1c213fb2c1e4e75e8dca5508b

I hope you're able to come away with some solutions.

Blinky the Shark

Al said:
I checked, my ISP is Direcway and with basic seervice they don't have.
However a friend of mine has generously allowed me to sling my trials and
tribulations off of her web site.

There ya go. Also, here's a bookmark for you -- this is a free webspace
informational site, and they list stuff like size and advertising style
(if any) for the hosts:

http://www.freewebspace.net/

nice.guy.nige

While the city slept, Dylan Parry ([email protected]) feverishly
typed...
In my experience, UK ISPs make it
as difficult as possible to use any of their features other than
simple online access!

In my experience, quite a few of them try to make that difficult to use too!
;-)

Cheers,
Nige

Samuël van Laere

Uncle Pirate said:
This newsgroup is NOT here to teach HTML, if you want to learn HTML, go
buy a book or go take a class. I can see I'm going to have to find a
way to add TANSTAAFL (There Ain't No Such Thing AS A Free Lunch) to my
sig without making it too much longer.

I agree.
Though thanks to this newsgroup I learned how to use HTML the way is was
ment to be used.
If it wasn't for this group I probally would be still doing inaccessible
websites today.
Any newbie should at least consider the advise given here.

Just my thoughts.

Regards,
Samuël

Starshine Moonbeam

Blinky the said:
I'm pretty much a lurker, here, Al, because I have a lot to learn, too.
From what I've seen, the responses generally take on the tone of the
seeker. Come in with a chip on your shoulder, and you'll probably not
be treated the way you had in mind. That's not a personal accusation; I
don't know your posting history here; it's a general observation.

The other category I see is, "Hi! I'm using FrontPage and..." being
answered (usally mid-sentence <g>) by, "Well, stop that." :) Then the
OP gets his panties in a bunch and won't see that that *is* help from
someone (usually more than one) who knows more than he does.

While it's not a feel-good group ("Great game! You lost 35 to 0, but you
all played a GREAT GAME! Let's go have ice cream!"), and it shouldn't
be, as it's a tech group -- it's not a Markup Coders Death Match group,
either.

I WILL DESTROY YOU ALL!!!

Oh wait, *not* a death-match group. Never mind, carry on.