where does Python stand?

Ben

Hi all!

I learned Python as part of my university coursework... I enjoyed it.
Now I'm just wondering how Python compares with asp, jsp, php and what
not?? I don't have slightest knowledge about these languages... Are
they more advanced than Python? Can Python be integrated with
Dreamweaver?

Hope some of you can get me out of confusion...

Ben

Paul Prescod

Ben said:
Hi all!

I learned Python as part of my university coursework... I enjoyed it.
Now I'm just wondering how Python compares with asp, jsp, php and what
not?? I don't have slightest knowledge about these languages... Are
they more advanced than Python? Can Python be integrated with
Dreamweaver?

ASP, JSP and PHP are Web templating languages. You would use them to
write the front-end of a website but not to write a video game, a
program that calculates taxes, payroll software, etc. Python is a
general purpose programming language.

Can python be integrated with Dreamweaver? It depends. What are you
trying to accomplish? You would not (usually) code Python in DreamWeaver
the way you might code ASP or JSP in DreamWeaver because Python code
does not (usually) reside in Web pages or Web templates and Dreamweaver
is a Web page design tool.

Paul Prescod

Bruno Desthuilliers

Ben said:
Hi all!

I learned Python as part of my university coursework... I enjoyed it.
Now I'm just wondering how Python compares with asp, jsp, php and what
not?? I don't have slightest knowledge about these languages...

ASP (Active Server Page) is a technology, not a language - you can code
ASP with at least VB, Jscript and C#.

JSP (Java Server Page) is mostly a way of embedding Java code in a web
page. Here again, more a techno than a language by itself.

VB, C# and Java *are* general purpose programming languages.

PHP, even if it's true that it began as a web scripting language, is now
usable as a stand-alone, 'general purpose' programming language (there's
even a Gtk+ binding...).
Are
they more advanced than Python?

Depends... What does 'more advanced' mean ?
Can Python be integrated with
Dreamweaver?

I don't think so, at least not like PHP or ASP ir like. If you plan to
use Python for web development, there are many other solutions - Zope,
Spyce, etc, Google is your friend !-)
Hope some of you can get me out of confusion...

Hope we did !-)

Bruno

Lothar Scholz

Hi all!

I learned Python as part of my university coursework... I enjoyed it.
Now I'm just wondering how Python compares with asp, jsp, php and what
not?? I don't have slightest knowledge about these languages... Are
they more advanced than Python? Can Python be integrated with
Dreamweaver?

They are different and so a comparision does not make sense.

You want a comparison about web frameworks/templates like Cheeta,
Python Server Pages, Draco Server Pages, Sypce or whatever is out
there right ?

Ben

Thanks for replies guys!!

I still need to ask something... Let me be more specific. I wanna
create a web page where I want to put photos taken by me... There are
lots of them. I also want to include a search capability in my web
page for users to search my photos by name (topic)... For this, I
would like to use a database which includes the location of my photos
on the server along with names and sizes... I would also like to make
it easier for me to add more photos in the future with ease. Also if
possible, try to generate html pages on the fly as I upload photos on
the server. In other words, I wanna make my web design efficient with
least amount of manual work. Well, this is pretty much the scenario.

What do you think would be a best design technique that I should
follow? I know Dreamweaver, Python, Java, JavaScript, CGI using
python, C, C++... What programming languages do I need to learn in
order to accomplish my task? If I need to choose between ASP and JSP,
I'd rather go for JSP cause it'll be easier for me to migrate as I
don't know much about VB, Jscript and C#. What are some of your
recommendations?

Someone mentioned Zope. Is it similar to ASP, PHP or JSP? Is it a
Pythonic version of ASP, JSP?

I'm kind of lost... There are too many of these acronyms in the
market.. Need some directions..

Thanx a lot!
Ben

Josiah Carlson

I'm kind of lost... There are too many of these acronyms in the
market.. Need some directions..

Option 1:
Purchase a mac.
Get a .mac account.
Use iPhoto.

Option 2:
Purchase some books at your local bookstore that explain what each of
these technologies do.

If the acronyms are over your head, then learning the a language to
write the scripts is likely not going to be possible. Prove me wrong.
I'd be glad if you were to do option 2 and produce something worthwhile.

- Josiah

Dang Griffith

[...]

I don't want to sound like a heretic (cuz I'm not religious about
languages), but from the sounds of your requirements and current
knowledge base, PHP will satisfy your needs in the most direct
fashion. It's easy to learn and can be worked in with DreamWeaver.

You can use mySql (sp?) with PHP to map keywords/search criteria to
the filenames of your photos. Your PHP code will take the user's
input, form an SQL statement to determine which photos to display, and
then put them into a web page. Poof!

--dang
p.s.
I only spearminted with PHP for a little while, and am no expert.
But as I said, based on your requirements, I think it fits the bill.

Ben

Josiah Carlson said:
Option 1:
Purchase a mac.
Get a .mac account.
Use iPhoto.

No way!! I don't even consider this as an option. I was asking about
"technologies" and "writing scripts", NOT about purchasing a machine!
Option 2:
Purchase some books at your local bookstore that explain what each of
these technologies do.

This is very possible.. but I can't afford to buy "some" books, that's
why I'm using this post and google ;)

Ben

Josiah Carlson

Option 1:
No way!! I don't even consider this as an option. I was asking about
"technologies" and "writing scripts", NOT about purchasing a machine!
This is very possible.. but I can't afford to buy "some" books, that's
why I'm using this post and google ;)

Ben,

You missed the point of my post. If you are having problems with
acronyms, then you likely lack the experience and/or the self discipline
to build your own photo album software to make it happen.

I would suggest you download a pre-built piece of software that will do
it for you. It seems like Gallery (http://gallery.menalto.com/) would
be just fine.

Good luck.
- Josiah

Ben

Josiah Carlson said:
Ben,

You missed the point of my post. If you are having problems with
acronyms, then you likely lack the experience and/or the self discipline
to build your own photo album software to make it happen.

I would suggest you download a pre-built piece of software that will do
it for you. It seems like Gallery (http://gallery.menalto.com/) would
be just fine.

Good luck.
- Josiah

Thanx for suggestions but I'm not having problems with acronyms and I
believe I have skills to learn something new if needed... That's why
I'm trying.. I just wanted to find out which technology suits my needs
the best... I don't want to learn everything out there in detail just
to create a website. That's why I'm using this post to find out what
people say about these technologies depending on their own
experiences. Some people are ASP experts, some are PHP and the others
are JSP... The idea is to hear from people with different skills, so
that it will help me to make my own choice!!! I will make my own
gallery even if it takes me 2 years to do it! That gives me
satisfaction!!

Ben

Y2KYZFR1

Paul Prescod said:
ASP, JSP and PHP are Web templating languages. You would use them to

Actually PHP can be used as a stand alone general scripting language,
just like Python can. Python is much more powerful though.

Joe Mason

Actually PHP can be used as a stand alone general scripting language,
just like Python can. Python is much more powerful though.

I was just looking for a way to run PHP as a general script, actually
(it'd be much easier to debug extensions than having to load a web page
through Apache every time). But I can't find a standalone interpreter
on my system (Debian stable) - all the php packages just hook into
Apache. Do you know where I can find a standalone PHP?

Joe

Josiah Carlson

[...]

If you know Dreamweaver, Python, Java, JavaScript, and CGI using Python,
C, and C++, and you /don't know/ how/where to get started on your
project...that is some serious indecision. Pick your favorite language,
and write your app.

Two years is a lot of time to dedicate to something that has been
implemented hundreds of times.

- Josiah

JanC

Joe Mason said:
I was just looking for a way to run PHP as a general script, actually
(it'd be much easier to debug extensions than having to load a web page
through Apache every time). But I can't find a standalone interpreter
on my system (Debian stable) - all the php packages just hook into
Apache. Do you know where I can find a standalone PHP?

This might be useful:
<http://www.php.net/manual/en/features.commandline.php>

Ian McConnell

Joe Mason said:
I was just looking for a way to run PHP as a general script, actually
(it'd be much easier to debug extensions than having to load a web page
through Apache every time). But I can't find a standalone interpreter
on my system (Debian stable) - all the php packages just hook into
Apache. Do you know where I can find a standalone PHP?

$ apt-get install php4-cgi

$ php4 -v
PHP 4.3.3 (cli) (built: Nov 19 2003 23:12:29)
Copyright (c) 1997-2003 The PHP Group
Zend Engine v1.3.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2003 Zend Technologies

Lothar Scholz

Dang Griffith said:
I only spearminted with PHP for a little while, and am no expert.
But as I said, based on your requirements, I think it fits the bill.

I second that.

There are also a lot of good cheap books about PHP out there so he
don't need to buy "some" books. Python really seems to be a little bit
overkill for someone who never did programming before.

Ben

Josiah Carlson said:
If you know Dreamweaver, Python, Java, JavaScript, and CGI using Python,
C, and C++, and you /don't know/ how/where to get started on your
project...that is some serious indecision. Pick your favorite language,
and write your app.

Yes I must admit I'm not a perfect human! That's why newsgroups like
this are invented to help each other and to learn... I know certain
things but not everything there is to do about web design... No one is
born with all the skills. We all learn sooner or later... And this is
just my attempt to know something that I don't know! If someone refer
to this as "serious indecision", then so be it! I got nothing to
say....
Two years is a lot of time to dedicate to something that has been
implemented hundreds of times.

Yeah, it'd still be much much better to spend 2 years to complete a
task rather than using a ready-made photo gallery... That was just my
comparison when I mentioned "2 years"... Obviously, it can be done
much earlier than that :)

Ben

Lothar Scholz

to this as "serious indecision", then so be it! I got nothing to
say....

Then maybe the first thing that you shouldn't say is that you now
Python,Java,JavaScript, C, C++ if the only thing you know is the names
of this languages.

Sorry but this is some kind of fucking marketing rhetorik. If you
really now at least one of them your postings would be much different.
Nobody has a problem with newbies here, but the people who say they
know a lot but don't do it in reality are not very welcome - nowhere.

Joe Mason

Hmm, I just realized the message I sent out a few days ago (about an
hour after my original post, actually) never showed up. It turns out
that on Debian, the php4 package contains all the framework needed to
run PHP from Apache, but the actual command-line interpreter is in
php4-cgi. Which is just... confusing.

Thanks everyone for the replies, though.

Joe