    Dreamweaver?

    Hope some of you can get me out of confusion...

    Ben
    Ben, Feb 5, 2004

  2. Ben

    Paul Prescod Guest

    Ben wrote:

    > Hi all!
    >
    > I learned Python as part of my university coursework... I enjoyed it.
    > Now I'm just wondering how Python compares with asp, jsp, php and what
    > not?? I don't have slightest knowledge about these languages... Are
    > they more advanced than Python? Can Python be integrated with
    > Dreamweaver?

    ASP, JSP and PHP are Web templating languages. You would use them to
    write the front-end of a website but not to write a video game, a
    program that calculates taxes, payroll software, etc. Python is a
    general purpose programming language.

    Can python be integrated with Dreamweaver? It depends. What are you
    trying to accomplish? You would not (usually) code Python in DreamWeaver
    the way you might code ASP or JSP in DreamWeaver because Python code
    does not (usually) reside in Web pages or Web templates and Dreamweaver
    is a Web page design tool.

    Paul Prescod
    Paul Prescod, Feb 5, 2004

  3. Ben wrote:
    > Hi all!
    >
    > I learned Python as part of my university coursework... I enjoyed it.
    > Now I'm just wondering how Python compares with asp, jsp, php and what
    > not?? I don't have slightest knowledge about these languages...

    ASP (Active Server Page) is a technology, not a language - you can code
    ASP with at least VB, Jscript and C#.

    JSP (Java Server Page) is mostly a way of embedding Java code in a web
    page. Here again, more a techno than a language by itself.

    VB, C# and Java *are* general purpose programming languages.

    PHP, even if it's true that it began as a web scripting language, is now
    usable as a stand-alone, 'general purpose' programming language (there's
    even a Gtk+ binding...).

    > Are
    > they more advanced than Python?

    Depends... What does 'more advanced' mean ?

    > Can Python be integrated with
    > Dreamweaver?

    I don't think so, at least not like PHP or ASP ir like. If you plan to
    use Python for web development, there are many other solutions - Zope,
    Spyce, etc, Google is your friend !-)

    > Hope some of you can get me out of confusion...

    Hope we did !-)

    Bruno
    Bruno Desthuilliers, Feb 5, 2004
  4. (Ben) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Hi all!
    >
    > I learned Python as part of my university coursework... I enjoyed it.
    > Now I'm just wondering how Python compares with asp, jsp, php and what
    > not?? I don't have slightest knowledge about these languages... Are
    > they more advanced than Python? Can Python be integrated with
    > Dreamweaver?

    They are different and so a comparision does not make sense.

    You want a comparison about web frameworks/templates like Cheeta,
    Python Server Pages, Draco Server Pages, Sypce or whatever is out
    there right ?
    Lothar Scholz, Feb 5, 2004
  5. Ben

    Ben Guest

    Thanks for replies guys!!

    I still need to ask something... Let me be more specific. I wanna
    create a web page where I want to put photos taken by me... There are
    lots of them. I also want to include a search capability in my web
    page for users to search my photos by name (topic)... For this, I
    would like to use a database which includes the location of my photos
    on the server along with names and sizes... I would also like to make
    it easier for me to add more photos in the future with ease. Also if
    possible, try to generate html pages on the fly as I upload photos on
    the server. In other words, I wanna make my web design efficient with
    least amount of manual work. Well, this is pretty much the scenario.

    What do you think would be a best design technique that I should
    follow? I know Dreamweaver, Python, Java, JavaScript, CGI using
    python, C, C++... What programming languages do I need to learn in
    order to accomplish my task? If I need to choose between ASP and JSP,
    I'd rather go for JSP cause it'll be easier for me to migrate as I
    don't know much about VB, Jscript and C#. What are some of your
    recommendations?

    Someone mentioned Zope. Is it similar to ASP, PHP or JSP? Is it a
    Pythonic version of ASP, JSP?

    I'm kind of lost... There are too many of these acronyms in the
    market.. Need some directions..

    Thanx a lot!
    Ben

    Ben, Feb 6, 2004
  6. > I'm kind of lost... There are too many of these acronyms in the
    > market.. Need some directions..

    Option 1:
    Purchase a mac.
    Get a .mac account.
    Use iPhoto.

    Option 2:
    Purchase some books at your local bookstore that explain what each of
    these technologies do.

    If the acronyms are over your head, then learning the a language to
    write the scripts is likely not going to be possible. Prove me wrong.
    I'd be glad if you were to do option 2 and produce something worthwhile.

    - Josiah
    Josiah Carlson, Feb 6, 2004
  7. On 5 Feb 2004 19:30:42 -0800, (Ben) wrote:

    >I still need to ask something... Let me be more specific. I wanna
    >create a web page where I want to put photos taken by me... There are
    >lots of them. I also want to include a search capability in my web
    >page for users to search my photos by name (topic)... For this, I
    >would like to use a database which includes the location of my photos
    >on the server along with names and sizes... I would also like to make
    >it easier for me to add more photos in the future with ease. Also if
    >possible, try to generate html pages on the fly as I upload photos on
    >the server. In other words, I wanna make my web design efficient with
    >least amount of manual work. Well, this is pretty much the scenario.
    >
    >What do you think would be a best design technique that I should
    >follow? I know Dreamweaver, Python, Java, JavaScript, CGI using
    >python, C, C++... What programming languages do I need to learn in
    >order to accomplish my task? If I need to choose between ASP and JSP,
    >I'd rather go for JSP cause it'll be easier for me to migrate as I
    >don't know much about VB, Jscript and C#. What are some of your
    >recommendations?

    I don't want to sound like a heretic (cuz I'm not religious about
    languages), but from the sounds of your requirements and current
    knowledge base, PHP will satisfy your needs in the most direct
    fashion. It's easy to learn and can be worked in with DreamWeaver.

    You can use mySql (sp?) with PHP to map keywords/search criteria to
    the filenames of your photos. Your PHP code will take the user's
    input, form an SQL statement to determine which photos to display, and
    then put them into a web page. Poof!

    --dang
    p.s.
    I only spearminted with PHP for a little while, and am no expert.
    But as I said, based on your requirements, I think it fits the bill.
    Dang Griffith, Feb 6, 2004
  8. (Ben) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Hi all!

    Python doesn't stand anywhere. With no legs, he has to crawl.
    A. Lloyd Flanagan, Feb 6, 2004
  9. Ben

    Ben Guest

    Josiah Carlson <> wrote in message news:<bvv37j$8or$>...
    > > I'm kind of lost... There are too many of these acronyms in the
    > > market.. Need some directions..

    > Option 1:
    > Purchase a mac.
    > Get a .mac account.
    > Use iPhoto.

    No way!! I don't even consider this as an option. I was asking about
    "technologies" and "writing scripts", NOT about purchasing a machine!

    > Option 2:
    > Purchase some books at your local bookstore that explain what each of
    > these technologies do.

    This is very possible.. but I can't afford to buy "some" books, that's
    why I'm using this post and google ;)

    Ben
    Ben, Feb 6, 2004
  10. >>Option 1:
    >>Purchase a mac.
    >>Get a .mac account.
    >>Use iPhoto.

    > No way!! I don't even consider this as an option. I was asking about
    > "technologies" and "writing scripts", NOT about purchasing a machine!

    >>Option 2:
    >>Purchase some books at your local bookstore that explain what each of
    >>these technologies do.

    > This is very possible.. but I can't afford to buy "some" books, that's
    > why I'm using this post and google ;)

    Ben,

    You missed the point of my post. If you are having problems with
    acronyms, then you likely lack the experience and/or the self discipline
    to build your own photo album software to make it happen.

    I would suggest you download a pre-built piece of software that will do
    it for you. It seems like Gallery (http://gallery.menalto.com/) would
    be just fine.

    Good luck.
    - Josiah
    Josiah Carlson, Feb 7, 2004
  11. Ben

    Ben Guest

    Josiah Carlson <> wrote in message news:<c01p9a$olv$>...
    > >>Option 1:
    > >>Purchase a mac.
    > >>Get a .mac account.
    > >>Use iPhoto.

    > > No way!! I don't even consider this as an option. I was asking about
    > > "technologies" and "writing scripts", NOT about purchasing a machine!

    > >>Option 2:
    > >>Purchase some books at your local bookstore that explain what each of
    > >>these technologies do.

    > > This is very possible.. but I can't afford to buy "some" books, that's
    > > why I'm using this post and google ;)

    > Ben,
    >
    > You missed the point of my post. If you are having problems with
    > acronyms, then you likely lack the experience and/or the self discipline
    > to build your own photo album software to make it happen.
    >
    > I would suggest you download a pre-built piece of software that will do
    > it for you. It seems like Gallery (http://gallery.menalto.com/) would
    > be just fine.
    >
    > Good luck.
    > - Josiah

    Thanx for suggestions but I'm not having problems with acronyms and I
    believe I have skills to learn something new if needed... That's why
    I'm trying.. I just wanted to find out which technology suits my needs
    the best... I don't want to learn everything out there in detail just
    to create a website. That's why I'm using this post to find out what
    people say about these technologies depending on their own
    experiences. Some people are ASP experts, some are PHP and the others
    are JSP... The idea is to hear from people with different skills, so
    that it will help me to make my own choice!!! I will make my own
    gallery even if it takes me 2 years to do it! That gives me
    satisfaction!!

    Ben
    Ben, Feb 7, 2004
  12. Ben

    Y2KYZFR1 Guest

    Paul Prescod <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Ben wrote:
    >
    > > Hi all!
    > >
    > > I learned Python as part of my university coursework... I enjoyed it.
    > > Now I'm just wondering how Python compares with asp, jsp, php and what
    > > not?? I don't have slightest knowledge about these languages... Are
    > > they more advanced than Python? Can Python be integrated with
    > > Dreamweaver?

    > ASP, JSP and PHP are Web templating languages. You would use them to

    Actually PHP can be used as a stand alone general scripting language,
    just like Python can. Python is much more powerful though.
    Y2KYZFR1, Feb 7, 2004
  13. Ben

    Joe Mason Guest

    OT: PHP as a general language (was Re: where does Python stand?)

    In article <>, Y2KYZFR1 wrote:
    > Actually PHP can be used as a stand alone general scripting language,
    > just like Python can. Python is much more powerful though.

    I was just looking for a way to run PHP as a general script, actually
    (it'd be much easier to debug extensions than having to load a web page
    through Apache every time). But I can't find a standalone interpreter
    on my system (Debian stable) - all the php packages just hook into
    Apache. Do you know where I can find a standalone PHP?

    Joe
    Joe Mason, Feb 7, 2004
  14. > I learned Python as part of my university coursework... I enjoyed it.
    > Now I'm just wondering how Python compares with asp, jsp, php and what
    > not?? I don't have slightest knowledge about these languages... Are
    > they more advanced than Python? Can Python be integrated with
    > Dreamweaver?

    > Someone mentioned Zope. Is it similar to ASP, PHP or JSP? Is it a
    > Pythonic version of ASP, JSP?

    > I'm kind of lost... There are too many of these acronyms in the
    > market.. Need some directions..

    > What do you think would be a best design technique that I should
    > follow? I know Dreamweaver, Python, Java, JavaScript, CGI using
    > python, C, C++... What programming languages do I need to learn in
    > order to accomplish my task? If I need to choose between ASP and JSP,
    > I'd rather go for JSP cause it'll be easier for me to migrate as I
    > don't know much about VB, Jscript and C#.

    If you know Dreamweaver, Python, Java, JavaScript, and CGI using Python,
    C, and C++, and you /don't know/ how/where to get started on your
    project...that is some serious indecision. Pick your favorite language,
    and write your app.

    Two years is a lot of time to dedicate to something that has been
    implemented hundreds of times.

    - Josiah
    Josiah Carlson, Feb 7, 2004
  15. Ben

    JanC Guest

    Re: OT: PHP as a general language (was Re: where does Python stand?)

    Joe Mason <> schreef:

    > I was just looking for a way to run PHP as a general script, actually
    > (it'd be much easier to debug extensions than having to load a web page
    > through Apache every time). But I can't find a standalone interpreter
    > on my system (Debian stable) - all the php packages just hook into
    > Apache. Do you know where I can find a standalone PHP?

    This might be useful:
    <http://www.php.net/manual/en/features.commandline.php>

    --
    JanC

    JanC, Feb 8, 2004
  16. Re: OT: PHP as a general language (was Re: where does Pythonstand?)

    Joe Mason <> writes:

    > In article <>, Y2KYZFR1 wrote:
    >> Actually PHP can be used as a stand alone general scripting language,
    >> just like Python can. Python is much more powerful though.

    > I was just looking for a way to run PHP as a general script, actually
    > (it'd be much easier to debug extensions than having to load a web page
    > through Apache every time). But I can't find a standalone interpreter
    > on my system (Debian stable) - all the php packages just hook into
    > Apache. Do you know where I can find a standalone PHP?

    $ apt-get install php4-cgi

    $ php4 -v
    PHP 4.3.3 (cli) (built: Nov 19 2003 23:12:29)
    Copyright (c) 1997-2003 The PHP Group
    Zend Engine v1.3.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2003 Zend Technologies

    --
    "Thinks: I can't think of a thinks. End of thinks routine": Blue Bottle

    ** Aunty Spam says: Remove the trailing x from the To: field to reply **
    Ian McConnell, Feb 8, 2004
  17. Dang Griffith <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > I only spearminted with PHP for a little while, and am no expert.
    > But as I said, based on your requirements, I think it fits the bill.

    I second that.

    There are also a lot of good cheap books about PHP out there so he
    don't need to buy "some" books. Python really seems to be a little bit
    overkill for someone who never did programming before.
    Lothar Scholz, Feb 8, 2004
  18. Ben

    Ben Guest

    Josiah Carlson <> wrote in message news:<c03its$emc$>...

    > If you know Dreamweaver, Python, Java, JavaScript, and CGI using Python,
    > C, and C++, and you /don't know/ how/where to get started on your
    > project...that is some serious indecision. Pick your favorite language,
    > and write your app.

    Yes I must admit I'm not a perfect human! That's why newsgroups like
    this are invented to help each other and to learn... I know certain
    things but not everything there is to do about web design... No one is
    born with all the skills. We all learn sooner or later... And this is
    just my attempt to know something that I don't know! If someone refer
    to this as "serious indecision", then so be it! I got nothing to
    say....

    > Two years is a lot of time to dedicate to something that has been
    > implemented hundreds of times.

    Yeah, it'd still be much much better to spend 2 years to complete a
    task rather than using a ready-made photo gallery... That was just my
    comparison when I mentioned "2 years"... Obviously, it can be done
    much earlier than that :)

    Ben
    Ben, Feb 8, 2004
  19. (Ben) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Josiah Carlson <> wrote in message news:<c03its$emc$>...
    > >
    > > If you know Dreamweaver, Python, Java, JavaScript, and CGI using Python,
    > > C, and C++, and you /don't know/ how/where to get started on your
    > > project...that is some serious indecision. Pick your favorite language,
    > > and write your app.

    > to this as "serious indecision", then so be it! I got nothing to
    > say....

    Then maybe the first thing that you shouldn't say is that you now
    Python,Java,JavaScript, C, C++ if the only thing you know is the names
    of this languages.

    Sorry but this is some kind of fucking marketing rhetorik. If you
    really now at least one of them your postings would be much different.
    Nobody has a problem with newbies here, but the people who say they
    know a lot but don't do it in reality are not very welcome - nowhere.
    Lothar Scholz, Feb 8, 2004
  20. Ben

    Joe Mason Guest

    In article <Xns94892CEE6B3D3JanC@213.119.4.35>, JanC wrote:
    > Joe Mason <> schreef:
    >
    >> I was just looking for a way to run PHP as a general script, actually
    >> (it'd be much easier to debug extensions than having to load a web page
    >> through Apache every time). But I can't find a standalone interpreter
    >> on my system (Debian stable) - all the php packages just hook into
    >> Apache. Do you know where I can find a standalone PHP?

    > This might be useful:
    ><http://www.php.net/manual/en/features.commandline.php>

    Hmm, I just realized the message I sent out a few days ago (about an
    hour after my original post, actually) never showed up. It turns out
    that on Debian, the php4 package contains all the framework needed to
    run PHP from Apache, but the actual command-line interpreter is in
    php4-cgi. Which is just... confusing.

    Thanks everyone for the replies, though.

    Joe
    Joe Mason, Feb 8, 2004