Where does the Locale come from for Web Services?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Eric Mamet, Jan 28, 2004.

  1. Eric Mamet

    Eric Mamet Guest

    I am having problems with a small app I wrote where my web services
    insist in using US dates while my front end uses European format...

    The app was running fine but then my machine was reinstalled
    (re-formatted) with Win2K Server and the US locale by default.
    I then re-installed all apps, including Visual Studio .Net.
    Recompiled and setup my ASP.Net projects.

    Then only I noticed the locale being US and I changed it for both my
    account and the system default to UK.
    Rebooted.

    It looks like my Web Services carry on running in a US locale
    environment (01/28/04) while the front-end (VB.Net windows App)
    prefers 28/01/04...
    Where is this coming from?

    Could it be the locale of the user ASPNET? I can't find where to
    check/change this.

    Thanks

    Eric Mamet
    Eric Mamet, Jan 28, 2004

  2. Eric Mamet

    Jan Tielens Guest

    Since your webservices probably run (if you haven't changed anything) under
    the ASP.NET account, this account will provide the locale.

    If you want to change this, you can do this at run-time using the
    CurrentCulture property of the CurrentThread. More info:
    http://tinyurl.com/287jx

    --
    Greetz,
    Jan

    Jan Tielens, Jan 28, 2004

  3. Eric Mamet

    Eric Mamet Guest

    For those interested, the answer/fix was to modify the globalization
    tag in my machine.config file (language was "neutral", set it to
    "en-GB")
    Eric Mamet, Jan 30, 2004