Where does this stuff come from?

Wings

Everything with the leading astericks has appeared in my html code out of
the wild blue. (In the case of the first line, only that trailing url came
out of nowhere). Any idea what goes on here? This page was to be a simple
introduction to TABLES written for my 8-year-old nephew, but the added crap
has made it too far out. It has changed many things, like I do the hex as
D6B712, and it's now case revised as d6b712. (Only the first lines of the
page are shown below).

I assume it is going to that url and getting changed there (but I don't know
that) so the question is probably, how does that url get applied?

*<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
"http://www.w3c.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/loose.dtd">
<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Classifieds</TITLE>
*<META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=windows-1252">
<STYLE>TD {
TEXT-ALIGN: justify
}
</STYLE>

*<META content="MSHTML 6.00.2900.2604" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#f8fd96><BR>
<CENTER><FONT color=#d6b712 size=7><B>Wayne's Corner<BR><FONT color=#f7026e
size=3><B>The New Product From Captain Wayne </CENTER>
<P><BR>
<TABLE cellPadding=26 width="30%" align=left border=0>
* <TBODY>

Lauri Raittila

Everything with the leading astericks has appeared in my html code out of
the wild blue. (In the case of the first line, only that trailing url came
out of nowhere). Any idea what goes on here? This page was to be a simple
introduction to TABLES written for my 8-year-old nephew, but the added crap
has made it too far out. It has changed many things, like I do the hex as
D6B712, and it's now case revised as d6b712. (Only the first lines of the
page are shown below).

Someone has opened it in microsof program? Or even saved?

Els

Wings said:
[...]

It's coming from the program you use to write your code. It's a
Microsoft Product :)

The url btw, is not "where it goes", but a complete doctype
declaration. It's actually a good thing to have in your code. Gives
browsers a clue on how to handle your code.

Wings

Lauri Raittila said:
Someone has opened it in microsof program? Or even saved?

I wrote it in NOTEPAD opened it in IE, and when I viewed source I spotted
the new additions and changes.

I redid the code eliminating that first line:

*<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
"http://www.w3c.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/loose.dtd">

So far, nothing has changed although I've viewed the page several times.

Many thanks for your response, Lauri.

Wings

It would appear, from that "META" line, that some kind of HTML generator was
applied to this. But as I said, I used NOTEPAD. I redid the code removing
that first line. So far so good.

Many thanks for your response, Els.

dorayme

From: "Wings said:
I wrote the code using NOTEPAD???

OK. What exactly did you do next? Did you save it as an .htm or .html? And
is it the same as what you typed when reopened in notepad? Or not? *Where*
does the different type appear?

dorayme

Jonathan N. Little

Wings wrote:
<snip>

This line tells the tale!
I wrote the code using NOTEPAD???

Yes, the original file may have been created in notepad but the copy
your are now looking at was created by opening the original in IE 6 and
then saved as a new html file. The 'Save As' process of MS IE 6 trys to
guess the DOCTYPE and adds it in. You can confirm this be creating a new
minimal html file in notepad with not DOCTYPE...

save it, then open in IE,

From menu, 'File|Save As' and save as a different name or location,
then open up newly saved copy in notepad and see what you have...

Wings

dorayme said:
OK. What exactly did you do next? Did you save it as an .htm or .html? And
is it the same as what you typed when reopened in notepad? Or not? *Where*
does the different type appear?
Great question! Made me run right over and open the original save with
notepad. But alas, the original save was also changed even in notepad.
However, as to the second part of your question, the original save WAS as
htm. I thought this was just a typo on my part at the time. Is there some
significance to this?

Here's some of the changed lines. Everything after the first line here was
added by the unknown process. In addition to this the TBODY tag was added
throughout the document and case changes made in other areas of the code -
such as hex numbers I do as B6C777 being redone in lower case as b6c777. I
was on-line while coding and saving the page. However, the page was saved to
a directory on my hard drive, not uploaded anywhere.

"http://www.w3c.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/loose.dtd">
<META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=windows-1252">
<META content="MSHTML 6.00.2900.2604" name=GENERATOR></

Note that in redoing the page I left that first line out. So far, that code
remains unchanged.

Not sure if I noted it or not, but the changed page works fine. None of the
changes were harmful, except that I needed some clear code to show an
8-year-old. In fact, I may be getting behind, as I never heard of the TBODY
tag before, which appears to have considerable utility.

Many thanks for your response, Music. (grin)

Wings

One other thing that might have significance. I'm on a relatively new
computer (2 months) and am a first time XP user. Don't know of any kind of
"automatic help" for HTML coding in XP, or IE, but it is certainly undesired
help. (grin)

Wings

Jonathan N. Little said:
Wings wrote:
<snip>

This line tells the tale!

Yes, the original file may have been created in notepad but the copy your
are now looking at was created by opening the original in IE 6 and then
saved as a new html file. The 'Save As' process of MS IE 6 trys to guess
the DOCTYPE and adds it in. You can confirm this be creating a new minimal
html file in notepad with not DOCTYPE...

save it, then open in IE,

From menu, 'File|Save As' and save as a different name or location, then
open up newly saved copy in notepad and see what you have...

--

Doggone! Okay, I see how this could be. Many thanks, Jonathan. And many
thanks to all that responded.

dorayme

From: "Wings said:
snip

Doggone! Okay, I see how this could be. Many thanks, Jonathan. And many thanks
to all that responded.

I remember something a *bit like this* happening to me using a PC, it was
greatly puzzling till I started saving the notepad file in a separate folder
or something. I had written some code for a friend so she could put in her
pics and have them show in a browser and was amazed that when we looked at
the browser view menu/source we could actually change the text and save it.
Hey, where had the template I so carefully made for her go? Yes in IE...

One simply cannot do this on a Mac I don't think? (Closest is in iCab where,
if one looks at the source code within the browser, and if one sets the
preferences right, one gets the actual .html file stored on one's computer
and therefore can change the text. Probably something like this but more
complex happens naturally on PCs. Anyway...

dorayme