Where does this stuff come from?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Wings, Mar 22, 2005.

  1. Wings

    Wings Guest

    Everything with the leading astericks has appeared in my html code out of
    the wild blue. (In the case of the first line, only that trailing url came
    out of nowhere). Any idea what goes on here? This page was to be a simple
    introduction to TABLES written for my 8-year-old nephew, but the added crap
    has made it too far out. It has changed many things, like I do the hex as
    D6B712, and it's now case revised as d6b712. (Only the first lines of the
    page are shown below).

    I assume it is going to that url and getting changed there (but I don't know
    that) so the question is probably, how does that url get applied?

    *<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
    "http://www.w3c.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/loose.dtd">
    <HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Classifieds</TITLE>
    *<META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=windows-1252">
    <STYLE>TD {
    TEXT-ALIGN: justify
    }
    </STYLE>

    *<META content="MSHTML 6.00.2900.2604" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
    <BODY bgColor=#f8fd96><BR>
    <CENTER><FONT color=#d6b712 size=7><B>Wayne's Corner<BR><FONT color=#f7026e
    size=3><B>The New Product From Captain Wayne </CENTER>
    <P><BR>
    <TABLE cellPadding=26 width="30%" align=left border=0>
    * <TBODY>
    Wings, Mar 22, 2005

  2. in alt.html, Wings wrote:
    > Everything with the leading astericks has appeared in my html code out of
    > the wild blue. (In the case of the first line, only that trailing url came
    > out of nowhere). Any idea what goes on here? This page was to be a simple
    > introduction to TABLES written for my 8-year-old nephew, but the added crap
    > has made it too far out. It has changed many things, like I do the hex as
    > D6B712, and it's now case revised as d6b712. (Only the first lines of the
    > page are shown below).

    Someone has opened it in microsof program? Or even saved?

    Utrecht, NL.
    Lauri Raittila, Mar 22, 2005

  3. Wings

    Els Guest

    Wings wrote:

    > Everything with the leading astericks has appeared in my html code out of
    > the wild blue. (In the case of the first line, only that trailing url came
    > out of nowhere). Any idea what goes on here? This page was to be a simple
    > introduction to TABLES written for my 8-year-old nephew, but the added crap
    > has made it too far out. It has changed many things, like I do the hex as
    > D6B712, and it's now case revised as d6b712. (Only the first lines of the
    > page are shown below).
    >
    > I assume it is going to that url and getting changed there (but I don't know
    > that) so the question is probably, how does that url get applied?
    >

    > *<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
    > "http://www.w3c.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/loose.dtd">
    > <HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Classifieds</TITLE>
    > *<META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=windows-1252">
    > <STYLE>TD {
    > TEXT-ALIGN: justify
    > }
    > </STYLE>
    >
    > *<META content="MSHTML 6.00.2900.2604" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
    > <BODY bgColor=#f8fd96><BR>
    > <CENTER><FONT color=#d6b712 size=7><B>Wayne's Corner<BR><FONT color=#f7026e
    > size=3><B>The New Product From Captain Wayne </CENTER>
    > <P><BR>
    > <TABLE cellPadding=26 width="30%" align=left border=0>
    > * <TBODY>

    It's coming from the program you use to write your code. It's a
    Microsoft Product :)

    The url btw, is not "where it goes", but a complete doctype
    declaration. It's actually a good thing to have in your code. Gives
    browsers a clue on how to handle your code.

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -
    Els, Mar 22, 2005
  4. Wings

    Wings Guest

    "Els" <> wrote in message
    > Wings wrote:
    >
    >> Everything with the leading astericks has appeared in my html code out of
    >> the wild blue. (In the case of the first line, only that trailing url
    >> came
    >> out of nowhere). Any idea what goes on here? This page was to be a simple
    >> introduction to TABLES written for my 8-year-old nephew, but the added
    >> crap
    >> has made it too far out. It has changed many things, like I do the hex as
    >> D6B712, and it's now case revised as d6b712. (Only the first lines of the
    >> page are shown below).
    >>
    >> I assume it is going to that url and getting changed there (but I don't
    >> know
    >> that) so the question is probably, how does that url get applied?
    >>

    >> *<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
    >> "http://www.w3c.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/loose.dtd">
    >> <HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Classifieds</TITLE>
    >> *<META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=windows-1252">
    >> <STYLE>TD {
    >> TEXT-ALIGN: justify
    >> }
    >> </STYLE>
    >>
    >> *<META content="MSHTML 6.00.2900.2604" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
    >> <BODY bgColor=#f8fd96><BR>
    >> <CENTER><FONT color=#d6b712 size=7><B>Wayne's Corner<BR><FONT
    >> color=#f7026e
    >> size=3><B>The New Product From Captain Wayne </CENTER>
    >> <P><BR>
    >> <TABLE cellPadding=26 width="30%" align=left border=0>
    >> * <TBODY>

    > It's coming from the program you use to write your code. It's a
    > Microsoft Product :)

    I wrote the code using NOTEPAD???

    Wings, Mar 22, 2005
  5. Wings

    Wings Guest

    "Lauri Raittila" <> wrote in message
    > in alt.html, Wings wrote:
    >> Everything with the leading astericks has appeared in my html code out of
    >> the wild blue. (In the case of the first line, only that trailing url
    >> came
    >> out of nowhere). Any idea what goes on here? This page was to be a simple
    >> introduction to TABLES written for my 8-year-old nephew, but the added
    >> crap
    >> has made it too far out. It has changed many things, like I do the hex as
    >> D6B712, and it's now case revised as d6b712. (Only the first lines of the
    >> page are shown below).

    > Someone has opened it in microsof program? Or even saved?

    I wrote it in NOTEPAD opened it in IE, and when I viewed source I spotted
    the new additions and changes.

    I redid the code eliminating that first line:

    *<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
    "http://www.w3c.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/loose.dtd">

    So far, nothing has changed although I've viewed the page several times.

    Many thanks for your response, Lauri.

    Wings, Mar 22, 2005
  6. Wings

    Wings Guest

    "Els" <> wrote in message
    > Wings wrote:
    >
    >> Everything with the leading astericks has appeared in my html code out of
    >> the wild blue. (In the case of the first line, only that trailing url
    >> came
    >> out of nowhere). Any idea what goes on here? This page was to be a simple
    >> introduction to TABLES written for my 8-year-old nephew, but the added
    >> crap
    >> has made it too far out. It has changed many things, like I do the hex as
    >> D6B712, and it's now case revised as d6b712. (Only the first lines of the
    >> page are shown below).
    >>
    >> I assume it is going to that url and getting changed there (but I don't
    >> know
    >> that) so the question is probably, how does that url get applied?
    >>

    >> *<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
    >> "http://www.w3c.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/loose.dtd">
    >> <HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Classifieds</TITLE>
    >> *<META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=windows-1252">
    >> <STYLE>TD {
    >> TEXT-ALIGN: justify
    >> }
    >> </STYLE>
    >>
    >> *<META content="MSHTML 6.00.2900.2604" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
    >> <BODY bgColor=#f8fd96><BR>
    >> <CENTER><FONT color=#d6b712 size=7><B>Wayne's Corner<BR><FONT
    >> color=#f7026e
    >> size=3><B>The New Product From Captain Wayne </CENTER>
    >> <P><BR>
    >> <TABLE cellPadding=26 width="30%" align=left border=0>
    >> * <TBODY>

    It would appear, from that "META" line, that some kind of HTML generator was
    applied to this. But as I said, I used NOTEPAD. I redid the code removing
    that first line. So far so good.

    Many thanks for your response, Els.

    Wings, Mar 22, 2005
  7. Wings

    dorayme Guest

    > From: "Wings" <>

    > "Els" <> wrote in message
    >> Wings wrote:
    >>
    >>> Everything with the leading astericks has appeared in my html code out of
    >>> the wild blue. (In the case of the first line, only that trailing url
    >>> came
    >>> out of nowhere). Any idea what goes on here? This page was to be a simple
    >>> introduction to TABLES written for my 8-year-old nephew, but the added
    >>> crap
    >>> has made it too far out. It has changed many things, like I do the hex as
    >>> D6B712, and it's now case revised as d6b712. (Only the first lines of the
    >>> page are shown below).
    >>>
    >>> I assume it is going to that url and getting changed there (but I don't
    >>> know
    >>> that) so the question is probably, how does that url get applied?
    >>>

    >>> *<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
    >>> "http://www.w3c.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/loose.dtd">
    >>> <HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Classifieds</TITLE>
    >>> *<META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=windows-1252">
    >>> <STYLE>TD {
    >>> TEXT-ALIGN: justify
    >>> }
    >>> </STYLE>
    >>>
    >>> *<META content="MSHTML 6.00.2900.2604" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
    >>> <BODY bgColor=#f8fd96><BR>
    >>> <CENTER><FONT color=#d6b712 size=7><B>Wayne's Corner<BR><FONT
    >>> color=#f7026e
    >>> size=3><B>The New Product From Captain Wayne </CENTER>
    >>> <P><BR>
    >>> <TABLE cellPadding=26 width="30%" align=left border=0>
    >>> * <TBODY>

    >> It's coming from the program you use to write your code. It's a
    >> Microsoft Product :)
    >>

    > I wrote the code using NOTEPAD???

    OK. What exactly did you do next? Did you save it as an .htm or .html? And
    is it the same as what you typed when reopened in notepad? Or not? *Where*
    does the different type appear?

    dorayme
    dorayme, Mar 22, 2005
  8. Wings wrote:
    <snip>

    This line tells the tale!

    >>>*<META content="MSHTML 6.00.2900.2604" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
    >>><BODY bgColor=#f8fd96><BR>
    >>><CENTER><FONT color=#d6b712 size=7><B>Wayne's Corner<BR><FONT
    >>>color=#f7026e
    >>>size=3><B>The New Product From Captain Wayne </CENTER>
    >>><P><BR>
    >>><TABLE cellPadding=26 width="30%" align=left border=0>
    >>>* <TBODY>

    >>It's coming from the program you use to write your code. It's a
    >>Microsoft Product :)
    >>

    > I wrote the code using NOTEPAD???

    Yes, the original file may have been created in notepad but the copy
    your are now looking at was created by opening the original in IE 6 and
    then saved as a new html file. The 'Save As' process of MS IE 6 trys to
    guess the DOCTYPE and adds it in. You can confirm this be creating a new
    minimal html file in notepad with not DOCTYPE...

    save it, then open in IE,

    From menu, 'File|Save As' and save as a different name or location,
    then open up newly saved copy in notepad and see what you have...

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Mar 22, 2005
  9. Wings

    Wings Guest

    "dorayme" <> wrote in message
    >> From: "Wings" <>

    >> "Els" <> wrote in message

    >>> It's coming from the program you use to write your code. It's a
    >>> Microsoft Product :)
    >>>

    >> I wrote the code using NOTEPAD???
    >>

    > OK. What exactly did you do next? Did you save it as an .htm or .html? And
    > is it the same as what you typed when reopened in notepad? Or not? *Where*
    > does the different type appear?

    Great question! Made me run right over and open the original save with
    notepad. But alas, the original save was also changed even in notepad.
    However, as to the second part of your question, the original save WAS as
    htm. I thought this was just a typo on my part at the time. Is there some
    significance to this?

    Here's some of the changed lines. Everything after the first line here was
    added by the unknown process. In addition to this the TBODY tag was added
    throughout the document and case changes made in other areas of the code -
    such as hex numbers I do as B6C777 being redone in lower case as b6c777. I
    was on-line while coding and saving the page. However, the page was saved to
    a directory on my hard drive, not uploaded anywhere.

    "http://www.w3c.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/loose.dtd">
    <META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=windows-1252">
    <META content="MSHTML 6.00.2900.2604" name=GENERATOR></

    Note that in redoing the page I left that first line out. So far, that code
    remains unchanged.

    Not sure if I noted it or not, but the changed page works fine. None of the
    changes were harmful, except that I needed some clear code to show an
    8-year-old. In fact, I may be getting behind, as I never heard of the TBODY
    tag before, which appears to have considerable utility.

    Many thanks for your response, Music. (grin)

    Wings, Mar 22, 2005
  10. Wings

    Wings Guest

    One other thing that might have significance. I'm on a relatively new
    computer (2 months) and am a first time XP user. Don't know of any kind of
    "automatic help" for HTML coding in XP, or IE, but it is certainly undesired
    help. (grin)
    Wings, Mar 22, 2005
  11. Wings

    Wings Guest

    > Wings wrote:
    > <snip>
    >
    > This line tells the tale!

    >>>It's coming from the program you use to write your code. It's a
    >>>Microsoft Product :)
    >>>

    >> I wrote the code using NOTEPAD???
    >>

    > Yes, the original file may have been created in notepad but the copy your
    > are now looking at was created by opening the original in IE 6 and then
    > saved as a new html file. The 'Save As' process of MS IE 6 trys to guess
    > the DOCTYPE and adds it in. You can confirm this be creating a new minimal
    > html file in notepad with not DOCTYPE...

    > save it, then open in IE,
    >
    > From menu, 'File|Save As' and save as a different name or location, then
    > open up newly saved copy in notepad and see what you have...
    >
    > --

    Doggone! Okay, I see how this could be. Many thanks, Jonathan. And many
    thanks to all that responded.

    Wings, Mar 22, 2005
  12. Wings

    dorayme Guest

    > From: "Wings" <>

    snip

    >> Yes, the original file may have been created in notepad but the copy your
    >> are now looking at was created by opening the original in IE 6 and then saved
    >> as a new html file. The 'Save As' process of MS IE 6 trys to guess the
    >> DOCTYPE and adds it in. You can confirm this be creating a new minimal html
    >> file in notepad with not DOCTYPE...

    >> save it, then open in IE,
    >>
    >> From menu, 'File|Save As' and save as a different name or location, then open
    >> up newly saved copy in notepad and see what you have...
    >>
    >> --
    >>

    > Doggone! Okay, I see how this could be. Many thanks, Jonathan. And many thanks
    > to all that responded.
    >
    >> Take care,

    I remember something a *bit like this* happening to me using a PC, it was
    greatly puzzling till I started saving the notepad file in a separate folder
    or something. I had written some code for a friend so she could put in her
    pics and have them show in a browser and was amazed that when we looked at
    the browser view menu/source we could actually change the text and save it.
    Hey, where had the template I so carefully made for her go? Yes in IE...

    One simply cannot do this on a Mac I don't think? (Closest is in iCab where,
    if one looks at the source code within the browser, and if one sets the
    preferences right, one gets the actual .html file stored on one's computer
    and therefore can change the text. Probably something like this but more
    complex happens naturally on PCs. Anyway...

    dorayme
    dorayme, Mar 22, 2005