where is pkg_resources (setuptools) looking for entry_points.txt

Discussion in 'Python' started by seb.haase@gmail.com, Oct 1, 2007.

    I'm trying to use an egg packages (pyOpenGL) as a "normal
    package" (by unzipping the egg into a directory).
    Generally this seems to work fine, except one init-step is missing.

    >From setuptools I got the pkg_resources.py file.

    But now the package is not properly initialized, because
    iter_entry_points() in pkg_resources does not find the corresponding
    entry_points.txt file needed to setup some intial configuration...
    (array handlers for pyOpenGL)

    Is there a default directory name or an environment variably or maybe
    the (ominous? ) __main__.__require variable that I can use to have
    the entry_points text read ?

    (I would even be willing to "manually" load the entry_points.txt file
    and feed it into some pkg_resources related variable to make it happy
    [before I import my package] )

    Thanks,
    Sebastian Haase
    , Oct 1, 2007

  2. Robert Kern Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I'm trying to use an egg packages (pyOpenGL) as a "normal
    > package" (by unzipping the egg into a directory).
    > Generally this seems to work fine, except one init-step is missing.

    The EGG-INFO/ directory in the zipped egg needs to be renamed to something
    appropriate, in this case:

    PyOpenGL-3.0.0a6-py2.5.egg-info/

    The documentation for such things is here:

    http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/PkgResources
    http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/setuptools
    http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/EasyInstall

    and the mailing list for setuptools questions is the Distutils-SIG:

    Robert Kern

    an underlying truth."
    -- Umberto Eco
    Robert Kern, Oct 1, 2007