where is pkg_resources (setuptools) looking for entry_points.txt

seb.haase

Hi,
I'm trying to use an egg packages (pyOpenGL) as a "normal
package" (by unzipping the egg into a directory).
Generally this seems to work fine, except one init-step is missing.
From setuptools I got the pkg_resources.py file.
But now the package is not properly initialized, because
iter_entry_points() in pkg_resources does not find the corresponding
entry_points.txt file needed to setup some intial configuration...
(array handlers for pyOpenGL)

Is there a default directory name or an environment variably or maybe
the (ominous? ) __main__.__require variable that I can use to have
the entry_points text read ?

(I would even be willing to "manually" load the entry_points.txt file
and feed it into some pkg_resources related variable to make it happy
[before I import my package] )

Thanks,
Sebastian Haase

Robert Kern

Hi,
I'm trying to use an egg packages (pyOpenGL) as a "normal
package" (by unzipping the egg into a directory).
Generally this seems to work fine, except one init-step is missing.

The EGG-INFO/ directory in the zipped egg needs to be renamed to something
appropriate, in this case:

PyOpenGL-3.0.0a6-py2.5.egg-info/

The documentation for such things is here:

http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/PkgResources
http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/setuptools
http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/EasyInstall

and the mailing list for setuptools questions is the Distutils-SIG:

Robert Kern

an underlying truth."
-- Umberto Eco