where is that method defined?

Alex Ma

I'm looking at ruby code for a class, for which I can call a method but
which I don't find in the class source code.

I suppose this is a feature of Ruby that I have yet to learn.
Can anyone help me please?

Specifically, the class is Cipher in openssl module (fully qualified
class name s OpenSSL::Cipher::Cipher) and its source code in Ruby
library is:

class Cipher
def random_key
str = OpenSSL::Random.random_bytes(self.key_len)
self.key = str
return str
end

def random_iv
str = OpenSSL::Random.random_bytes(self.iv_len)
self.iv = str
return str
end
end

Where does this class defines the cipher method?

Thanks!

Markus Schirp

Am Wed, 9 Jan 2008 02:20:26 +0900
schrieb Alex Ma said:
[...]

The method may be defined in an C extension. Download ruby sources
and lookup under 'ext' directory.

Mike McKinney

it's in C:
<ruby_src>/ext/openssl/ossl_ssl.c line 899 (for ruby 1.8.6 source)
rb_define_method(cSSLSocket, "cipher", ossl_ssl_get_cipher, 0);

Mike McKinney

FYI: I used the new netbeans 6 to find this quickly....

command+O: then type "Cipher", you will see two options near the top, both
in openssl.rb files but one is in a directory called "rubystubs" which tells
me right away it's in C and there isn't ruby source available... the stub
file doesn't it's best to document even those defined methods but it's tough
if there is no documentation in the C layer. then you are off to the source
code for more snooping.

Mike said:
FYI: I used the new netbeans 6 to find this quickly....

command+O: then type "Cipher", you will see two options near the top,

Thanks!

As an aside, I've just installed NetBeans 6 for Ruby to give it a try.
Probably it needs to be configured in order to behave like you're
mentioning. Or probably I need to be configured... :)
What do you mean with command+0? I tried with 'Navigate->Go to
declaration', but it picks the wrong one.

Mike McKinney

command (mac) control (win)

declaration works for classes and variables (you can control+click to get
there right in your code)

but in this case, you want to choose... so you use go to type

Navigate > goto type... enter cipher and you should have a few options
there...

the first for me is the stubbed docs for the C impl... the second is the raw
ruby for the Cipher class. (you can see the "location" at the bottom of the
window which shows you where it'll take you when you click ok or hit
enter... rubystubs directory is where the generated ruby representing C impl
is stored.)

great videos and docs here: http://www.netbeans.org/features/ruby/index.html

NB also supports C/C++ development so you could pull the ruby source into
the same IDE for viewing if you like... I'll stop there, this is sounding
too much like a commercial.