where is that method defined?

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Alex Ma, Jan 8, 2008.

  1. Alex Ma

    Alex Ma Guest

    I'm looking at ruby code for a class, for which I can call a method but
    which I don't find in the class source code.

    I suppose this is a feature of Ruby that I have yet to learn.
    Can anyone help me please?

    Specifically, the class is Cipher in openssl module (fully qualified
    class name s OpenSSL::Cipher::Cipher) and its source code in Ruby
    library is:

    class Cipher
    def random_key
    str = OpenSSL::Random.random_bytes(self.key_len)
    self.key = str
    return str
    end

    def random_iv
    str = OpenSSL::Random.random_bytes(self.iv_len)
    self.iv = str
    return str
    end
    end

    Where does this class defines the cipher method?

    Thanks!
    Alex Ma, Jan 8, 2008

  2. Am Wed, 9 Jan 2008 02:20:26 +0900
    schrieb Alex Ma <>:

    > I'm looking at ruby code for a class, for which I can call a method
    > but which I don't find in the class source code.
    >
    > I suppose this is a feature of Ruby that I have yet to learn.
    > Can anyone help me please?
    >
    > Specifically, the class is Cipher in openssl module (fully qualified
    > class name s OpenSSL::Cipher::Cipher) and its source code in Ruby
    > library is:
    >
    > class Cipher
    > def random_key
    > str = OpenSSL::Random.random_bytes(self.key_len)
    > self.key = str
    > return str
    > end
    >
    > def random_iv
    > str = OpenSSL::Random.random_bytes(self.iv_len)
    > self.iv = str
    > return str
    > end
    > end
    >
    > Where does this class defines the cipher method?
    >
    > Thanks!

    The method may be defined in an C extension. Download ruby sources
    and lookup under 'ext' directory.

    --
    Seonic IT-Systems GbR
    Anton Shatalov & Markus Schirp
    Markus Schirp, Jan 8, 2008

    it's in C:
    <ruby_src>/ext/openssl/ossl_ssl.c line 899 (for ruby 1.8.6 source)
    rb_define_method(cSSLSocket, "cipher", ossl_ssl_get_cipher, 0);

    Mike McKinney, Jan 8, 2008

    FYI: I used the new netbeans 6 to find this quickly....

    command+O: then type "Cipher", you will see two options near the top, both
    in openssl.rb files but one is in a directory called "rubystubs" which tells
    me right away it's in C and there isn't ruby source available... the stub
    file doesn't it's best to document even those defined methods but it's tough
    if there is no documentation in the C layer. then you are off to the source
    code for more snooping.

    Mike McKinney, Jan 8, 2008
  5. Alex Ma

    Alex Ma Guest

    Mike McKinney wrote:
    > FYI: I used the new netbeans 6 to find this quickly....
    >
    > command+O: then type "Cipher", you will see two options near the top,

    Thanks!

    As an aside, I've just installed NetBeans 6 for Ruby to give it a try.
    Probably it needs to be configured in order to behave like you're
    mentioning. Or probably I need to be configured... :)
    What do you mean with command+0? I tried with 'Navigate->Go to
    declaration', but it picks the wrong one.
    Alex Ma, Jan 8, 2008
  6. [Note: parts of this message were removed to make it a legal post.]

    command (mac) control (win)

    declaration works for classes and variables (you can control+click to get
    there right in your code)

    but in this case, you want to choose... so you use go to type

    Navigate > goto type... enter cipher and you should have a few options
    there...

    the first for me is the stubbed docs for the C impl... the second is the raw
    ruby for the Cipher class. (you can see the "location" at the bottom of the
    window which shows you where it'll take you when you click ok or hit
    enter... rubystubs directory is where the generated ruby representing C impl
    is stored.)

    great videos and docs here: http://www.netbeans.org/features/ruby/index.html

    NB also supports C/C++ development so you could pull the ruby source into
    the same IDE for viewing if you like... I'll stop there, this is sounding
    too much like a commercial.

    Mike McKinney, Jan 8, 2008