    Is it the truth? I don't understand why it will be so complicated.

    Anyone have some good reading for me.

    Tks buddy's
    GhislainTanguay, Dec 2, 2003

  2. GhislainTanguay

    Ray at Guest

    If that is the case, that is a poorly designed and unconfigurable dll. Your
    site should be able to exist ANYWHERE on the server and it should not
    matter. This is more asinine as programs that want to install in C:\Program
    Files when you're %programfiles% is D:\program files or your %systemdrive%
    is D:.

    If this dll only works if your site is in C:\inetpub\wwwroot (or even
    %systemdrive%\inetpub\wwwroot), I would curse a refund from the person and
    tell him to go fly a kite. That is just awful programming and the person
    obviously works in a vacuum.

    Ray at work

    "GhislainTanguay" <> wrote in message
    > Hi everyone, i work on a ASP (Not .NET but version 3) project. This

    project
    > is on our server for development. I use SQL-SERVER, IIS and VB for DLL.
    > On the server i have create a folder with my project name "Aptitudes"

    under

    Ray at, Dec 2, 2003

  3. GhislainTanguay

    TomB Guest

    The best place to create an ASP page is on the beach in an equatorial region
    ;)

    I don't see any problem with setting up your folders the way you have. You
    may have to be aware of some changes.

    For example: if you use a virtual include

    <!--#Include Virtual="Aptitudes\IncludeFiles\theFile.asp"-->

    then transfer to a "commercial server" without the "Aptitudes" folder.
    You'll need to adjust those references.

    TomB, Dec 2, 2003
  4. Heh, was that called "Aptitudes" or "Ineptitudes" :)

    --
    Aaron Bertrand
    SQL Server MVP

    Aaron Bertrand - MVP, Dec 2, 2003
  5. I created the Dll ( and put it in the COM+) and this is not my first one
    but in th case of ASP yes.
    This DLL doesn't have any "hardCode" string.
    So, really i cannot see why creating my app right under inetpub is going to
    be more easily tranferring than creating it in a subfolder.

    I just want some informations if it's true or false to have some arguments
    in future conversation with this guy.

    If i'm wrong in my thingking ok but if, like I think there is no difference
    then i want some arg.
    GhislainTanguay, Dec 2, 2003
  6. Hey, sound good the beach programing.
    Tks buddy, you make my day

    GhislainTanguay, Dec 2, 2003
  7. It depends on what the DLL does. For example, it might (for some reason)
    have hard-coded links to things based on the /root of your web site...

    --
    Aaron Bertrand
    SQL Server MVP

    Aaron Bertrand - MVP, Dec 2, 2003
  8. GhislainTanguay

    Rob Meade Guest

    "TomB" wrote...

    > The best place to create an ASP page is on the beach in an equatorial

    region
    > ;)

    I have nothing to offer sorry - but LOL at the above :eek:D

    Rob
    Rob Meade, Dec 2, 2003
  9. GhislainTanguay

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    On Tue, 2 Dec 2003 16:03:48 -0500, "GhislainTanguay"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi everyone, i work on a ASP (Not .NET but version 3) project. This project
    >is on our server for development. I use SQL-SERVER, IIS and VB for DLL.
    >On the server i have create a folder with my project name "Aptitudes" under
    >inetpub/wwwroot/.

    >I recently talked with an external consultant and he told me that I did
    >something wrong when I created my Aptitudes folder.
    >He said that when we will be ready for transfering the project on a
    >commercial server everything will go wrong because I didn't put my project
    >directly under inetpub. Dll will not see my project, and so on...
    >
    >Is it the truth? I don't understand why it will be so complicated.

    It may or may not be depending on what path coding you use. If you
    duplicate the production paths in the development environement it's a
    breeze, but sometimes it isn't possible and sometimes clients will
    decide your stuff has to be somewhere else. The ASP DLL doesn't
    really care, as long as the proper permissions are in place, and if
    you use paths relative to your application's root it's trivial to make
    work with any placement.

    Many times I've used a simple config file for this purpose, with a
    base URL or root designation to account for a client moving the
    application somewhere else. It's easier in a database driven site,
    but even an include works fine, similar to including a database
    connection string for easy modification.

    Jeff
    Jeff Cochran, Dec 3, 2003
  10. GhislainTanguay

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    On Tue, 2 Dec 2003 16:11:49 -0500, "TomB" <> wrote:

    >The best place to create an ASP page is on the beach in an equatorial region
    >;)

    Hey! I resemble that remark! :)

    Though I more often am found on the back deck than at the beach, I've
    written code at the beach, and even sitting in Sloppy Joe's in Key
    West. Laptops are great. WiFi is wonderful, and Bluetooth sets you
    free. :)

    Jeff
    Jeff Cochran, Dec 3, 2003
  11. GhislainTanguay

    Tom B Guest

    Need a room mate?
    That deck sounds nice, too much snow here.

    Tom B, Dec 3, 2003
  12. GhislainTanguay

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    On Wed, 3 Dec 2003 08:16:40 -0500, "Tom B" <>
    wrote:

    >Need a room mate?
    >That deck sounds nice, too much snow here.

    I remember snow. Sort of. Got tired of scraping the windshield with
    a credit card and moved to SW Florida.

    Jeff

    Jeff Cochran, Dec 3, 2003