    are too many '\'s, and I don't find where the description of backslash
    operator is. Would you please point me which section to look at? Or
    '\' is discussed in some other man page?
    Peng Yu, Jun 4, 2010

  2. Re: Where is the document for \ (backslash operator for creating a reference)

    Peng> I think that the document for \ can be found in man perlop. But there
    Peng> are too many '\'s, and I don't find where the description of backslash
    Peng> operator is. Would you please point me which section to look at? Or
    Peng> '\' is discussed in some other man page?

    The reference doc is at "perldoc perlref". There's also a number of
    tutorials on references in the standard doc set.

    print "Just another Perl hacker,"; # the original!

    Randal L. Schwartz, Jun 4, 2010

  3. Re: Where is the document for \ (backslash operator for creatinga reference)

    Peng Yu wrote:
    > I think that the document for \ can be found in man perlop. But there
    > are too many '\'s, and I don't find where the description of backslash
    > operator is. Would you please point me which section to look at? Or
    > '\' is discussed in some other man page?

    It is both the 1st and the 6th backslash in perlop (my version, of
    course, can't speak for yours).

    Symbolic Unary Operators
    Unary "\" creates a reference to whatever follows it. See perlreftut
    and perlref. Do not confuse this behavior with the behavior of back-
    slash within a string, although both forms do convey the notion of pro-
    tecting the next thing from interpolation.

    Xho
    Xho Jingleheimerschmidt, Jun 5, 2010