    What is Derby?

    Thank you,

    Fasisi

    fasisi, Jan 14, 2008

  2. fasisi

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    fasisi wrote:
    > I am new to JDBC. Can you help me on how can I know that I have the
    > driver I need to connect to some kind of database... say MS Access or
    > SQL Server or Firebird or Paradox?

    For MS Access or Paradox I believe you will have to use the ODBC
    driver for those and the JDBC-ODBC bridge that comes with Java.

    For SQLServer you can either use the JDBC driver from MS or the
    FreeTDS JDBC driver.

    > And how to connect to the database?

    See docs for the driver.

    > Is the 'Java Application Server' needed to connect to a database?

    No.

    > What is Derby?

    Another database.

    http://db.apache.org/derby/

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Jan 14, 2008

  3. fasisi

    Lew Guest

    Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    > For MS Access or Paradox I believe you will have to use the ODBC
    > driver for those and the JDBC-ODBC bridge that comes with Java.

    Is there even an ODBC connector for Paradox? It's not an SQL-based database
    system.

    > For SQLServer you can either use the JDBC driver from MS or the
    > FreeTDS JDBC driver.

    >> And how to connect to the database?

    > See docs for the driver.

    Individual drivers come from a variety of sources. For example, Oracle, IBM
    and PostgreSQL all provide JDBC drivers for their respective RDBMS products.

    For massive amounts of information from Sun about JDBC and related tech, start
    here:
    <http://java.sun.com/javase/technologies/database/index.jsp>

    Really, it is a very good idea for matters Java to begin with a search
    java.sun.com. It's simply amazing how much Sun and others have published on
    line for free about all this.

    IBM developerWorks is another excellent launching point for Java studies.
    <http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java>

    Usenet is not efficient for gaining comprehensive knowledge of a subject.
    It's best used to fill specific gaps in understanding and to expand one's
    awareness of various issues.

    --
    Lew

    Lew, Jan 14, 2008
  4. Lew wrote:
    > fasisi wrote:
    >>> I am new to JDBC. Can you help me on how can I know that I have the
    >>> driver I need to connect to some kind of database... say MS Access or
    >>> SQL Server or Firebird or Paradox?

    > Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    >> For MS Access or Paradox I believe you will have to use the ODBC
    >> driver for those and the JDBC-ODBC bridge that comes with Java.

    > Is there even an ODBC connector for Paradox? It's not an SQL-based
    > database system.

    Yes. Part of MDAC.

    Excel is not SQL based, but you can get an ODBC driver for that anyway.

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Jan 14, 2008
  5. fasisi

    Lew Guest

    Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    > Yes. Part of MDAC.
    >
    > Excel is not SQL based, but you can get an ODBC driver for that anyway.

    I see. I guess I'm so used to using JDBC for full-scale queries involving
    JOINs and GROUP BYs and the like that I just can't imagine how useful that
    would be.

    When I learned Paradox some years ago it was really difficult for me until I
    figured out that it was much like an assembly language for sets, even to
    having a sort-of accumulator for intermediate results. Then it became easy.

    I never did come to share the religious fervor shared by many Paradox
    enthusiasts. I much prefer SQL-based systems.

    Anyhow I should have realized that there could be ODBC drivers for it, as for
    Excel or even text files.

    --
    Lew

    Lew, Jan 14, 2008
  6. Lew wrote:
    > Is there even an ODBC connector for Paradox? It's not an SQL-based
    > database system.

    Just because a data source isn't SQL-based or relational doesn't mean
    there isn't an ODBC driver for it.

    You can write one for any data structure that can be treated like a 2D
    array provided you're willing to do the work to map SQL statements onto
    it. Various people have done this, so you can find ODBC drivers for
    Excel, cvs and text files as well as various indexed file structures
    (dBase, anybody?) and non-relational databases such as IDMS.

    There is at least one Paradox ODBC driver. DataDirect
    <http://www.datadirect.com> supply one. They look like a good resource
    if you need ODBC drivers for a variety of data sources. I have no
    connection with them: just had 'em bookmarked for quite a while.

    --
    martin@ | Martin Gregorie
    gregorie. | Essex, UK

    Martin Gregorie, Jan 14, 2008
  7. fasisi

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 18:01:53 -0800 (PST), fasisi
    who said :

    >I am new to JDBC. Can you help me on how can I know that I have the
    >driver I need to connect to some kind of database... say MS Access or
    >SQL Server or Firebird or Paradox?

    see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jdbc.html

    Your driver must be on the classpath.
    --