    --
    Nathan Sokalski

    http://www.nathansokalski.com/

    Nathan Sokalski, Jul 12, 2008

  2. Nathan Sokalski

    jacky kwok Guest

    Nathan Sokalski wrote:
    > I have a WebSite created by clicking Create Web Site. but when I click Build
    > Web Site I cannot find a dll anywhere. I even did a search of my entire hard
    > drive, and did not find it. What's going on here?

    A "Web Site" project will not generate any "DLL". You can know the
    detail of a "Web Site" project in MSDN document.

    If "DLL" output is necessary, using the "Web Application" project in
    VS2005(SP1 only) or VS2008.

    --
    Jacky Kwok
    jacky@alumni_DOT_cuhk_DOT_edu_DOT_hk

    jacky kwok, Jul 12, 2008

  3. Nathan Sokalski

    Jeff Winn Guest

    Hello Nathan,

    Web site projects don't work like the old web application projects did. When
    compiled each page generates their own assembly (this is the most common
    setting). That being said, they usually use a random generated name for each
    of the assemblies needed. Currently the assemblies that are generated for
    the web site projects i work with are located in the Temporary ASP.NET Files
    folder under my user profile. If you do need to generate a single dll for
    the site, I believe web deployment projects are capable of producing a
    single output assembly for the site.

    Not really sure why you'd need the site to generate a single assembly, just
    create a seperate class library project for anything you want to share
    between other applications and your site.

    If you need any further clarification, don't hesitate to ask.

    - Jeff

    Jeff Winn, Jul 12, 2008
  4. Nathan Sokalski

    daveh551 Guest

    On Jul 11, 11:27 pm, "Jeff Winn" <> wrote:
    > Hello Nathan,
    >
    > Web site projects don't work like the old web application projects did. When
    > compiled each page generates their own assembly (this is the most common
    > setting). That being said, they usually use a random generated name for each
    > of the assemblies needed. Currently the assemblies that are generated for
    > the web site projects i work with are located in the Temporary ASP.NET Files
    > folder under my user profile. If you do need to generate a single dll for
    > the site, I believe web deployment projects are capable of producing a
    > single output assembly for the site.
    >
    > Not really sure why you'd need the site to generate a single assembly, just
    > create a seperate class library project for anything you want to share
    > between other applications and your site.
    >
    > If you need any further clarification, don't hesitate to ask.
    >
    > - Jeff
    >
    > "Nathan Sokalski" <> wrote in message

    > >I have a WebSite created by clicking Create Web Site. but when I click
    > >Build Web Site I cannot find a dll anywhere. I even did a search of my
    > >entire hard drive, and did not find it. What's going on here?
    > > --
    > > Nathan Sokalski
    > >
    > >http://www.nathansokalski.com/

    If you do a "Publish Website", it will also generate a single DLL for
    the entire site. It will usually be located in a "Precompiled Web"
    folder under your project folder, and the DLL will be in the bin
    directory of that folder, probably called "App_Code.dll" The
    PrecompiledWeb folder is basically an image that you can FTP to your
    hosting server.

    daveh551, Jul 12, 2008
  5. As many have replied, web sites aren't projects, so they don't build a DLL.
    My solution to this problem is to never use a Web Site.

    John Saunders, Jul 14, 2008
  6. Nathan Sokalski

    daveh551 Guest

    On Jul 13, 10:36 pm, "John Saunders" <> wrote:
    > As many have replied, web sites aren't projects, so they don't build a DLL.
    > My solution to this problem is to never use a Web Site.
    >
    > --
    > John Saunders | MVP - Connected System Developer

    I'm kinda learning by trial and error, but I found (with VS 2005) that
    Web Applications lacked some of the development features in VS that
    Websites had. For example, the "ASP.NET Configuration" that brings up
    the Website Administration tool for a website didn't seem to work
    right (or wasn't even offered - I can't remember) when used with a Web
    Application. And when I added code files to the App_Code directory of
    a web application, I had a dickens of time getting them to be included
    in the build. Setting "trace" in the web.config file didn't seem to
    work consistently for a Web Application. A bunch of other little
    things.

    But it was a shocker when I loaded my Website to my hosting platform
    and discovered that it was re-compiling everything on the fly,
    sometimes with build errors that were not present when building under
    VS. That's when somebody told me about "Publish Website", which DOES
    do a build to .dll. So that's what I do now.

    daveh551, Jul 14, 2008