Where is the processing done - VS2005 Web development

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Datagrid Control' started by AAJ, Feb 27, 2007.

  1. AAJ

    AAJ Guest

    Hi all

    I use datagrids bound to Objectdatasources in turn bound to datatables

    Every thing works Ok, but I'm curious on how it actually works.

    I have a view in my SQL Server 2000 database. i.e. vw_KPITurnAround

    I connect to the view via a XSD data table with something like

    SELECT ... FROM vw_KPITurnAround

    If I want to filter the data then within the data table I add a table
    adapter i.e.

    SELECT ...FROM dbo.vw_KPITurnAround WHERE (InspectionDate
    BETWEEN @StartDate AND @EndDate)

    and pass the startDate and endDate parameters via my business code.

    What I would like to know is

    is the string in the table adapter passed to the SQL server and the
    processing takes place there

    e.g. SELECT ...FROM dbo.vw_KPITurnAround WHERE (InspectionDate
    BETWEEN @StartDate AND @EndDate) ->@StartDate AND @EndDate passed to
    Database server

    or

    is all the data in the table brought back in one hit to my application,

    i.e.
    SELECT ... FROM vw_KPITurnAround

    and the processing between dates done here?

    thanks for any info

    Andy

    AAJ, Feb 27, 2007

  2. AAJ

    AAJ Guest

    On looking further with sql profiler it looks as my parameters are all
    passed to the SQL Server and the processing is done there

    can any one confirm this is true

    cheers again

    Andy

    AAJ, Feb 27, 2007

  3. That's right, the selects are run against the database. If you filter with
    the FilterExpression property, it will take place on the web server inside
    the application.

    --
    Eliyahu Goldin,
    Software Developer & Consultant