Where is the proper place to change the column names?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by craigkenisston@hotmail.com, Nov 10, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Im trying to make an application using all the out of the box stuff for
    data displaying. Using (or trying to) use a BLL and DLL.
    Now, in my database, the tables and columns have names like these:

    Table TBL01_PRODUCT
    Col PRD_CODE
    Col PRD_NAME
    etc, etc

    What I mean, they are cryptic, not friendly names.
    Now when I use the DetailsView or the FormView I get those ugly names
    being displayed by default.
    Where is the proper place to go and manually rename these column names
    to something friendly?
    Seems all wires are magically connected and can't find a place to do
    this manipulation.

    TIA

    , Nov 10, 2006

    Let me clarify a bit more:

    In the details view, in the fields, each field has a HeaderText
    property. I can change it here, but if I change it here, it will only
    apply to this form, and I'd like a solution that helps me every place I
    use the same data layers.

    Now, on the dataset, each column has a "Caption" column which by its
    name seems its exactly what Im looking for, however is not.
    If I change the caption in some of my columns and recreate the
    detailsview, I still get the ugly names directly from the database.

    So, what to do ?

    TIA

    wrote:

    > Im trying to make an application using all the out of the box stuff for
    > data displaying. Using (or trying to) use a BLL and DLL.
    > Now, in my database, the tables and columns have names like these:
    >
    > Table TBL01_PRODUCT
    > Col PRD_CODE
    > Col PRD_NAME
    > etc, etc
    >
    > What I mean, they are cryptic, not friendly names.
    > Now when I use the DetailsView or the FormView I get those ugly names
    > being displayed by default.
    > Where is the proper place to go and manually rename these column names
    > to something friendly?
    > Seems all wires are magically connected and can't find a place to do
    > this manipulation.
    >
    > TIA

    , Nov 10, 2006

    Isn't there a solution for this ?
    What do you usually do ?

    Just note I can't change the database nor the stored procedures, I'm
    looking for an asp.net solution.

    , Nov 10, 2006