Where is the standard output coming from in the following program

grocery_stocker

Given the following...

m-net% more bbs.pl
#!/usr/bin/perl

use strict;
use warnings;

open my $out, '|-', 'bbs' or die "cannot open pipe to bbs";

print $out "find nope a=cdalten\n";

close $out or die "cannot close pipe to bbs: $!";

it produces....

m-net% ./bbs.pl
YAPP 3.1.1 Copyright (c)1995 Armidale Software
Registered to: Arbornet

Welcome to the
February General Conference

fairwitness: jerryr

41 newresponse items and 9 brandnew items
First item 1, last 80
No matches found.

Now leaving February General...
m-net%

The question is, where is the standard output coming from? The child
process?

Tim Greer

grocery_stocker said:
open my $out, '|-', 'bbs' or die "cannot open pipe to bbs";

print $out "find nope a=cdalten\n";

Going by that code, you've sent the command to (and get the output from)
the child process.

Tim Greer

Tim said:
Going by that code, you've sent the command to (and get the output
from) the child process.

Pardon, I worded that poorly. Greg's explanation of the child process
inheriting the output from the parent process is a better way of
wording it (my reply makes it sound like it is inherited by the parent
from the child -- bad wording... oops).