    actual video? Isn't it in the source somewhere?
    --
    )|:__ Nehmo __:|(

    Nehmo, Dec 17, 2005

  2. Nehmo

    McKirahan Guest

    "Nehmo" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > When a page has a JavaScript "link" to a video, like
    > http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10478942/ . How do you get the URL of the
    > actual video? Isn't it in the source somewhere?
    > --
    > )|:__ Nehmo __:|(

    That page has three hyperlinks that invoke a JavaScript function:

    oMvsLink('00','b42c8497-f0ae-4d59-808d-e00e035df600','','','','','',false,fa
    lse,'Source_Nightly News')

    which is declared within the include file:

    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/js/std.js

    function oMvsLink(gPV,sGuid,bDck,sMenu,sSubM,sURL,sPL,bRP,bStatic,sList) {
    var sLink="http://video.msn.com/v/us/msnbc.htm";
    if(sPL) {
    sGuid=sGuid+","+sPL;
    }
    sLink+="?f="+gPV+"&g="+sGuid+"&t=m5";
    if(sList){
    sLink+="&p="+escape(sList);
    }
    if(!bDck){
    var
    ovp=window.open(sLink,"ovp","width=788,height=598,status=1,scrollbars=yes,re
    sizable=yes");
    if(sURL) {
    location.href=sURL;
    }
    }else{
    location.href=sLink;

    Thus, the URL is:

    URL:http://video.msn.com/v/us/msnbc.htm?f=00&g=b42c8497-f0ae-4d59-808d-e00e0
    35df600&t=m5&p=Source_Nightly%20News

    I think...

    But then this gets "resolved" on the server to deliver an actual file.

    McKirahan, Dec 17, 2005

  3. Nehmo

    Guest

    McKirahan wrote:

    > Thus, the URL is:
    >
    > URL:http://video.msn.com/v/us/msnbc.htm?f=00&g=b42c8497-f0ae-4d59-808d-e00e0
    > 35df600&t=m5&p=Source_Nightly%20News
    >
    > I think...
    >
    > But then this gets "resolved" on the server to deliver an actual file.

    Since this is a major news site with a huge number of hits, they most
    likely are using a special streaming media server to manage traffic to
    the video much better than on a regular html server. So the main site
    likely links to the streaming server with special code used for this
    sort of thing. On a streaming server, it often is not possible to get a
    conventional URL for a video file. They also are likely using some
    server side script, such as php, also which you do not see on the page
    code.

    The video link would not let me in on Firefox. They say you have to
    "upgrade" to IE, etc. If you look at a bit of the site code, it is easy
    to see why. They use all sorts of non-standard Microsoftese, VB
    scripts, etc. This site has very poor code with apparently no effort
    made to work well on anything other than IE. I think this site is a
    very good example of how not to write code.

    However, even with a site with good code that links to a streaming
    server for media, you often can not capture the code for the actual
    video or audio.

    , Dec 17, 2005
  4. Nehmo

    Evertjan. Guest

    wrote on 17 dec 2005 in comp.lang.javascript:

    > McKirahan wrote:
    >
    >> Thus, the URL is:
    >>
    >> URL:http://video.msn.com/v/us/msnbc.htm?f=00&g=b42c8497-f0ae-4d59-808d
    >> -e00e0 35df600&t=m5&p=Source_Nightly%20News

    [..]

    > However, even with a site with good code that links to a streaming
    > server for media, you often can not capture the code for the actual
    > video or audio.

    Don't believe this. What is downloaded can be captured:

    mms://msnbc.wmod.llnwd.net/a275/e1/video/100/nn_thomp_baby_051215.asf

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.

    Evertjan., Dec 17, 2005
  5. Nehmo

    Guest

    Evertjan. wrote:
    > wrote on 17 dec 2005 in comp.lang.javascript:
    >

    > > McKirahan wrote:
    > >
    > >> Thus, the URL is:
    > >>
    > >> URL:http://video.msn.com/v/us/msnbc.htm?f=00&g=b42c8497-f0ae-4d59-808d
    > >> -e00e0 35df600&t=m5&p=Source_Nightly%20News

    > [..]
    >

    > > However, even with a site with good code that links to a streaming
    > > server for media, you often can not capture the code for the actual
    > > video or audio.

    > Don't believe this. What is downloaded can be captured:
    >
    > mms://msnbc.wmod.llnwd.net/a275/e1/video/100/nn_thomp_baby_051215.asf

    What you found is the mms:// redirector file which typically is a link
    to a Microsoft streaming server(I think that mms means Microsoft Media
    Server). To make certain, I went to the Opera browser, deleted the
    cache, and played the mms file link you gave using the WMP 10. The
    video played well(it is only 200 kbps which is easy on DSL). However,
    as is typical of true streaming video, nothing is downloaded to the
    Opera cache. Of course when I link to one of my video files with an
    http url on my normal html server, the video is cached, and you can
    save it from the cache if you wish. Or if you have the address of the
    actual wmv, in addition to the wax redirector file, you can directly
    download the wmv file stored on the HD where you wish.

    There is a way to capture the video as it is playing, although this is
    not capture of the actual digital file on the streaming server, and, at
    lest in theory, will result in lower video quality. You can use the
    free Microsoft media encoder to do a screen capture of the video as a
    wmv file as the video is playing, if your computer is fast enough for
    the extreme computing demands required. If the computer is too slow,
    you can get extreme distortions of the video, or no capture at all.
    Also you could feed the audio-video output of the computer, as the
    video is playing, to a video capture dervice to capture in mpeg format
    just as is done when you capture a VCR tape as mpeg and store it on the
    HD.

    , Dec 17, 2005
  6. Nehmo

    Evertjan. Guest

    wrote on 17 dec 2005 in comp.lang.javascript:

    >> > However, even with a site with good code that links to a streaming
    >> > server for media, you often can not capture the code for the actual
    >> > video or audio.

    >> Don't believe this. What is downloaded can be captured:
    >>
    >> mms://msnbc.wmod.llnwd.net/a275/e1/video/100/nn_thomp_baby_051215.asf

    > What you found is the mms:// redirector file which typically is a link
    > to a Microsoft streaming server(I think that mms means Microsoft Media
    > Server).

    "the code for(!) the actual video or audio"
    in my book is not the same as
    "the content of(!) the actual video or audio".

    An .ASX file is a redirector file,
    an .ASF is the stream itself, I presume.

    Not tried, but what about this, if you really want to download huge files:

    <http://www.thefab.net/topics/computing_video/cv07_asf_recorder.htm>

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.

    Evertjan., Dec 17, 2005
  7. Nehmo

    Guest

    Evertjan. wrote:

    > Not tried, but what about this, if you really want to download huge files:
    >
    > <http://www.thefab.net/topics/computing_video/cv07_asf_recorder.htm>

    Thanks for the link. I downloaded the recorder - it is a fairly small
    zip file. However I have not been able to record the video we have been
    discussing. It may just be that I do not know enough about how to use
    the recorder yet, or this may be one of those many streams that can not
    be recorded with this recorder, as mentioned in the text file that
    comes with the recorder. Perhaps I will play with the recorder on other
    video streams when I have time. The recorder is supposed to work even
    if you have a slow connection. However the video stream we were
    discussing was only about 200 kbps and just a few minutes long. Since I
    have an about 2.5 Mbps download connection, downlown time would be
    short if the net is not congested, and the resulting file would be
    small by video standards. When you are doing DVD format file work, you
    often have files that run from 4 to 8 GB for a normal movie, so a
    little, slow-speed streaming video is trivial on comparison

    The same considerations apply to streaming audio on net radio stations,
    etc. There are several recorders that will let you record streaming
    audio including Real formats. In fact one of my media programs came
    with one, but I have never used it. However for either streaming video
    or audio, it appears that various tricks can be used to prevent
    recording on some recorders. The hackers overcome the tricks, the media
    providers find new tricks, and the cat and mouse game continues on and
    on. Of course you can always connect the audio and video outputs of
    your computer to an external CD or DVD recorder and get the media -
    unless it is protected by analog Macrovision or something of the sort.
    And, most likely, the hackers have a way around that sort of protection.

    , Dec 17, 2005
  8. Nehmo

    Guest

    Jasen Betts wrote:
    > On 2005-12-17, <> wrote:
    > >
    > > McKirahan wrote:
    > >
    > >> Thus, the URL is:
    > >>
    > >> URL:http://video.msn.com/v/us/msnbc.htm?f=00&g=b42c8497-f0ae-4d59-808d-e00e0
    > >> 35df600&t=m5&p=Source_Nightly%20News

    > > The video link would not let me in on Firefox. They say you have to
    > > "upgrade" to IE, etc. If you look at a bit of the site code, it is easy
    > > to see why. They use all sorts of non-standard Microsoftese, VB
    > > scripts, etc. This site has very poor code with apparently no effort
    > > made to work well on anything other than IE. I think this site is a
    > > very good example of how not to write code.

    > It's a marketing tool...
    > It's possibly an illegal abuse of a monopoly position

    You could be right that the way the code is written is a marketing
    tool. This is a web page from MSNBC. MSNBC is a US television cable
    channel that is put up by two giants, one being Microsoft, hence the
    MS, and the other being NBC, a very old company, which has changed
    hands a few times, that carried national radio and then TV in the US.
    The people who write the web pages could be from Microsoft or could
    have been trained at Microsoft. I am not trained in corporate law, so I
    have no comments on that issue. Opera had an issue with the way that
    Microsoft wrote some of their web pages, claiming that they appeared to
    be designed to look bad on the Opera browser. Of course Microsoft
    claimed that was not their aim. There was a long story about this a few
    years ago on the Opera site, and it may still be there. Anyway, this
    issue may be a major reason why Opera developed code to allow their
    browser to spoof other browsers, including IE6.

    Although this thread is drifting a bit from script, the awful script,
    at least by current international standards, is one of the main
    problems with the page.

    , Dec 18, 2005