Where is the VB6 Data Repeater in .Net??

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Robby, Dec 4, 2004.

  1. Robby

    Robby Guest

    In my opinion the VB6 Data Repeater has to be the most versatile control
    ever released by Microsoft. They also sharee this opinion when they
    released it but I have not been able to find its .Net equivalent. I have
    found a weaker versions of it in the web controls called Repeater, DataList
    and DataGrid. However, I have not found anything in the form controls. I
    can not port to .Net without it.

    I have an enterprise application that makes extensive use of this control.
    The user controls that are hosted in the Data Repeater are not simple
    textbox display controls but have different types of controls in specific
    layouts. They also have significant code with in them for both UI and
    application features.

    Does anyone know where it is? If it isn't in .Net, can anyone from
    Microsoft give me an idea of when it will be released for .Net. I really
    can't port to .Net with out an equivalent control.

    Many thanks

    Robby
    Robby, Dec 4, 2004

  2. Robby

    Lucas Tam Guest

    "Robby" <> wrote in

    > In my opinion the VB6 Data Repeater has to be the most versatile
    > control ever released by Microsoft. They also sharee this opinion
    > when they released it but I have not been able to find its .Net
    > equivalent. I have found a weaker versions of it in the web controls
    > called Repeater, DataList and DataGrid. However, I have not found
    > anything in the form controls. I can not port to .Net without it.

    The closest you'll come is the datagrid - which you can modify to do what
    the repeater did.

    Otherwise search for a 3rd party control.

    In anycase, your statement "I can not port to .Net without it." is probably
    incorrect - you can always port it to .NET, but you may have to rewrite
    portions of your code.

    --
    Lucas Tam ()
    Lucas Tam, Dec 4, 2004

  3. Robby

    Robby Guest

    The DataGrid is a web control. It is my understanding that it is for
    browser apps only. Can it placed on windows form without special
    gymnastics?

    Robby

    Robby, Dec 4, 2004
  4. Robby

    Cor Ligthert Guest

    Robby,

    There is a web datagrid and a windowdatagrid.

    The only thing they have in common to me is that it are both grids who shows
    collections of data.

    Here some links.

    Complete very nice controls with pictures on page
    http://dotnet.leadit.be/extendeddatagrid

    http://www.knowdotnet.com/articles/kdngrid.html

    Faqs
    http://www.syncfusion.com/FAQ/WinForms/FAQ_c44c.asp

    http://www.microsoft.com/belux/nl/msdn/community/columns/jtielens/datagrid.mspx

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...ry/en-us/dnwinforms/html/wnf_CustDataGrid.asp

    Cor
    Cor Ligthert, Dec 4, 2004
  5. Robby

    Lucas Tam Guest

    "Robby" <> wrote in news:ugJEv6c2EHA.3120
    @TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl:

    > The DataGrid is a web control. It is my understanding that it is for
    > browser apps only. Can it placed on windows form without special
    > gymnastics?

    There's a winforms version. If you find the built in datagrid too hard to
    use... there are several 3rd party grids that might be easier to work with.

    --
    Lucas Tam ()
    Lucas Tam, Dec 4, 2004
  6. Robby

    smith Guest

    You probably would be very happy with the VB Resource Kit, free from MSDN.
    In it is not only a lot of sample code for common VB tasks, but you also get
    a 100% ComponentOne Studio deployment license.

    ComponentOne is the company that makes MSFlex and the Datagrid and the print
    preview controls. The *Real* versions are top-notch, in fact I wonder why
    folks even put up with the freeware DataGrid when it's real version is
    available as "TrueDBGrid" ... not that I've used that one much myself since
    it's vbx version, ever since FlexGrid got databinding back in the ocx days
    I pretty much have always used FlexGrid Pro and, between us, the .Net
    version of FlexGridPro beats even the mature ocx.

    Just go to: http://msdn.microsoft.com/vbasic/vbrkit/default.aspx and get
    the kit, then get your unlock code free from C1. No more Datagrid hacks.

    Hope you do it!

    Robert Smith
    Kirkland, WA
    www.smithvoice.com

    smith, Dec 4, 2004
  7. Robby

    Robby Guest

    These controls are so delicious!!! Thanks for the heads up.

    Robby

    Robby, Dec 5, 2004
  8. Robby

    Anon-E-Moose Guest

    "smith" <> wrote in news:0Aqsd.1261$0r.1207
    @newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

    > in fact I wonder why
    > folks even put up with the freeware DataGrid when it's real version is
    > available as "TrueDBGrid"

    Probably because people don't want to be tied down with extra licenses or
    rely on a third party to provide support. And the included ComponentOne
    licenses are only valid on 1 CPU machines.
    Anon-E-Moose, Dec 5, 2004
  9. Robby

    smith Guest

    :)

    That's not true for the Windows controls. The 1 cpu EULA only applies to
    the ASP.Net controls, which were'nt what he was asking about.

    You get the license and you can use the TrueDBGrid and FlexGridPro in any
    app you ever make, corporate or retail.

    They are fully managed and so they work even in Autodeploy scenarios (I've
    had FlexGridPro running in an autodeploy for about a year an a half, it
    follows the app forms just like any other dll).

    If you consider the light versions that come with VS to be valid for
    releasing in apps then there is no reason to shy away from the real versions
    that those were chisled out of.

    ComponentOne isn't a fly by night company, they are the merger of Apex and
    Videosoft, both top component vendors with history to the VBX days.

    Sometimes using 3rd party widgets is silly - for things that you can code
    yourself - but a Grid isn't one of them.

    I don't know about you, but it would worry me more to release an app that
    uses some of the iffy hacks that people have contrived to get the crippled
    version to ack like the real version The one that is licensed with the
    resource kit is a stable and proven build.

    Hope that helps.

    Smith

    smith, Dec 5, 2004
  10. Robby

    smith Guest

    By the way, the controls are a very importan deal. But the resource kit
    should be checked out forf it's many code samples too.

    I see on other posts that some folks have probs getting the samples to run
    directly from the kits' aspx pages. If you hit this just look for them all
    in the" ..\Program Files\vb resource kit\code samples\" folder, they are
    named exactly as shown the in aspx pages.

    hope that helps.

    Robert Smith
    Kirkland, WA
    www.smtihvoice.com