where is unique_ptr?

Aaron Graham

I realize this question more appropriately belongs on gnu.gcc, but I
always have trouble getting answers there.

The current C++0x implementation is very incomplete in gcc 4.3.0, I
know, but I find it strange that unique_ptr is missing, especially
since auto_ptr is already spewing warnings about being deprecated. As
far as I can tell, all features required for the correct
implementation of unique_ptr are available.

I could write my own (and maybe that would answer my question), but
I'm lazy, or busy, or something.

Aaron

Ed Smith-Rowland

I realize this question more appropriately belongs on gnu.gcc, but I
always have trouble getting answers there.

The current C++0x implementation is very incomplete in gcc 4.3.0, I
know, but I find it strange that unique_ptr is missing, especially
since auto_ptr is already spewing warnings about being deprecated. As
far as I can tell, all features required for the correct
implementation of unique_ptr are available.

I could write my own (and maybe that would answer my question), but
I'm lazy, or busy, or something.

Aaron

It looks like unique_ptr is in mainline - i.e. gcc-4.4 which you would
get by bootstrapping gcc from a snapshot or from a checkout of head.
See gcc.gnu.org for details.

Otherwise, I think you might be able to grab code from bits/
unique_ptr.h if your code is GPL.

I don't think unique_ptr would be backported to gcc-4.3.* because it
is an enhancement. You might ask on (e-mail address removed) to see what
the rules/plans are.

Ed