Where on earth is system.windows - Multicolumn Listbox

kackson

Hi.
I attempted to create a multicolumn listbox for my web based aspx
application. I search the net, all I get is something like listview or
I need to have system.windwos.form. But for the goodness of my brain,
I cant seem to find it anywhere and just not able to do a "using
System.WIndows.form". WHere on earth can I get this work? Please help!
I just need a simple multicolumn listbox. Why is this so difficult? :(

Eliyahu Goldin

This is so difficult because it is impossible. You can't use windows form
components, they are not for ASP.NET. The task of ASP.NET is to translate
server code to HTML pages that will run on client browsers. Client can have
any platform. It doesn't have to be neither Windows nor .NET. You can make
use of System.Windows.Forms on client side only if you decide to target only
clients who have .NET installed on their machines.

Eliyahu

Karl Seguin

You need to add a reference to system.windows to use those classes (add a
reference in VS.net, right click on "reference" and selec "add" in the
solution explorer). But you can't use Windows.Form classes in a web
application (that's mild crazyness!) Instead you'll have to make due with
System.Web.UI....consider taking a closer look at the repeater, datalist or
datagrid, one of those ought to do the trick.

Karl

Tina

I'm having the same issue. The datagrid will not allow selectin without a
postback so there is no real answer in asp.net to the multicolumn listbox
unless you don't mind a postback to the server upon any selection. This
would be a good webcontrol.

Eliyahu Goldin

The datagrid allows selection without postback very well. You just need to
make some efforts on client side.

Eliyahu