    characters. Where do I find the list of characters in UTF-8, and their
    hexidecimal value?
    , May 28, 2005

  2. wrote:

    : I looked at the standard for UTF-8:

    : http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3629.txt

    : It didn't say what decimal or hexidecimal values mapped out to what
    : characters. Where do I find the list of characters in UTF-8, and their
    : hexidecimal value?

    No, that has nothing to do with utf-8. utf-8 is just a way to encode
    numeric values between 0 and about 16 million into an 8 bit data stream.

    What you want is the unicode standard that lists each code point (i.e. a
    number) and its symbol (i.e. a "thing" that has a typical representation
    and associated meaning such as a minus-sign or the upper case letter ay).

    That mapping of code point to symbol does not change in utf-8.

    The "decimal" or "hexidecimal" is irrelevent of course, they are just ways
    of writing the number. The number "one hundred" is the same number
    whether written as "one hundred" or 100 (decimal notation) or 64
    (hexidecimal notation).

    (The number "one hundred" is the code point that represents the character
    known in English as "lower case letter dee", by the way).

    --

    This space not for rent.
    Malcolm Dew-Jones, May 28, 2005

  3. Henri Sivonen, May 28, 2005