where on the web are the characters for UTF-8 listed in dec or hex value?

Malcolm Dew-Jones

(e-mail address removed) wrote:

: I looked at the standard for UTF-8:

: http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3629.txt

: It didn't say what decimal or hexidecimal values mapped out to what
: characters. Where do I find the list of characters in UTF-8, and their
: hexidecimal value?

No, that has nothing to do with utf-8. utf-8 is just a way to encode
numeric values between 0 and about 16 million into an 8 bit data stream.

What you want is the unicode standard that lists each code point (i.e. a
number) and its symbol (i.e. a "thing" that has a typical representation
and associated meaning such as a minus-sign or the upper case letter ay).

That mapping of code point to symbol does not change in utf-8.

The "decimal" or "hexidecimal" is irrelevent of course, they are just ways
of writing the number. The number "one hundred" is the same number
whether written as "one hundred" or 100 (decimal notation) or 64
(hexidecimal notation).

(The number "one hundred" is the code point that represents the character
known in English as "lower case letter dee", by the way).