Where to ask mysql questions?

fishfry

I couldn't find a mysql newsgroup. Where is the appropriate place to ask
mysql questions that aren't Perl-related?

fishfry

Abigail said:
fishfry ([email protected]) wrote on MMMMCCCLI September
MCMXCIII in
<URL:[] I couldn't find a mysql newsgroup. Where is the appropriate place to ask
[] mysql questions that aren't Perl-related?

I'd say, go to alt.binaries.pictures.furniture, and ask again.

From time to time I have occasion to comment unfavorably about the tone
on this newsgroup. And here we go again.

If you want to know why Java, PHP, Ruby, and Python are eating Perl's
lunch, look no further than Abigail's remark.

Go to an city on Craigslist, click on the Internet or Software jobs, and
search for Perl versus PHP or Java, and you'll see why even the best
Perl programmers have a hard time finding work these days.

In the beginning, Larry Wall's motto was, "there's more than one way to
do it." Somehow the Perl community has morphed into "**** you if you're
not one of us."

Shame on those of you who should know better.

Tom

fishfry said:
Abigail said:
fishfry ([email protected]) wrote on MMMMCCCLI September
MCMXCIII in
[] I couldn't find a mysql newsgroup. Where is the appropriate place to ask
[] mysql questions that aren't Perl-related?

I'd say, go to alt.binaries.pictures.furniture, and ask again.

From time to time I have occasion to comment unfavorably about the tone
on this newsgroup. And here we go again.

If you want to know why Java, PHP, Ruby, and Python are eating Perl's
lunch, look no further than Abigail's remark.

Go to an city on Craigslist, click on the Internet or Software jobs, and
search for Perl versus PHP or Java, and you'll see why even the best
Perl programmers have a hard time finding work these days.

In the beginning, Larry Wall's motto was, "there's more than one way to
do it." Somehow the Perl community has morphed into "**** you if you're
not one of us."

Shame on those of you who should know better.

I thought Perl was eating everyone's lunch. But
I have no horse in this race, so feel free to set
me straight as I would like to know the answer to
that one.

Ignoramus27279

I think that no one is obligated to promote perl, as such. Perl is a
tool, not a religion.

However, unfriendly attitude does make this newsgroup less helpful
than I would like it to be. I am quite thick skinned, so almost
nothing can piss me off, but not everyone is like that.

Plus, I hate wasting time by asking a question and then seeing an
asshole fest rather than an actual answer. In fairness, though, I must
say that about 50% of my questions have been answered with relevant
answers given. People here are very intelligent, but sometimes go off
into time wasting tirades instead of actually using their
intelligence.

As far as "perl jobs" are concerned, do not forget about a large
segment of non-perl jobs where knowledge of perl is a great plus. I am
a C++ programmer by trade, but my knowledge of perl has been supremely
helpful to getting stuff to actually work and "gluing" various
programs together. Most companies who do not need dedicated perl
programmers, consider knowledge of perl a great advantage.

In fact, things get done in perl so quickly and usually work so well,
that having a dedicated perl programmer is not warranted.

Zebee Johnstone

In comp.lang.perl.misc on 30 Jul 2005 22:23:24 GMT
Abigail said:
That's why I pointed him to alt.binaries.pictures.furniture! Those guys
love to point out were to go for non-furniture related questions. They
know all the newsgroups, and can tell you exactly where to go.

Not us Perl people, who only know Perl.

And neither user interfaces or documentation...

Did you expect him to go to that group? IF so, the user interface
design was bad but you didn't realise it.

If you didn't, then the program worked as the programmer expected, but
not as the user expected, again a poor performance.

Addition of the explanation at the time the user needed it, rather than
buried right down in a bit of doco not even written at testing time
would have been much more sensible.

Zebee