    fishfry Guest

    I couldn't find a mysql newsgroup. Where is the appropriate place to ask
    mysql questions that aren't Perl-related?
    fishfry, Jul 30, 2005

  2. fishfry

    fishfry Guest

    In article <>,
    Abigail <> wrote:

    > fishfry () wrote on MMMMCCCLI September
    > MCMXCIII in
    > <URL:news:>:
    > [] I couldn't find a mysql newsgroup. Where is the appropriate place to ask
    > [] mysql questions that aren't Perl-related?
    >

    > I'd say, go to alt.binaries.pictures.furniture, and ask again.

    From time to time I have occasion to comment unfavorably about the tone
    on this newsgroup. And here we go again.

    If you want to know why Java, PHP, Ruby, and Python are eating Perl's
    lunch, look no further than Abigail's remark.

    Go to an city on Craigslist, click on the Internet or Software jobs, and
    search for Perl versus PHP or Java, and you'll see why even the best
    Perl programmers have a hard time finding work these days.

    In the beginning, Larry Wall's motto was, "there's more than one way to
    do it." Somehow the Perl community has morphed into "**** you if you're
    not one of us."

    Shame on those of you who should know better.
    fishfry, Jul 30, 2005

  3. fishfry

    Tom Guest

    <URL:news:>:
    > > [] I couldn't find a mysql newsgroup. Where is the appropriate place to

    ask
    > > [] mysql questions that aren't Perl-related?
    > >

    > > I'd say, go to alt.binaries.pictures.furniture, and ask again.
    > >

    > From time to time I have occasion to comment unfavorably about the tone
    > on this newsgroup. And here we go again.
    >
    > If you want to know why Java, PHP, Ruby, and Python are eating Perl's
    > lunch, look no further than Abigail's remark.
    >
    > Go to an city on Craigslist, click on the Internet or Software jobs, and
    > search for Perl versus PHP or Java, and you'll see why even the best
    > Perl programmers have a hard time finding work these days.
    >
    > In the beginning, Larry Wall's motto was, "there's more than one way to
    > do it." Somehow the Perl community has morphed into "**** you if you're
    > not one of us."
    >
    > Shame on those of you who should know better.

    I thought Perl was eating everyone's lunch. But
    I have no horse in this race, so feel free to set
    me straight as I would like to know the answer to
    that one.
    Tom, Jul 30, 2005
  4. fishfry

    Brian Wakem Guest

    Brian Wakem, Jul 30, 2005
  5. fishfry

    Andy Hassall Guest

    On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 19:55:35 -0700, fishfry <>
    wrote:

    >I couldn't find a mysql newsgroup.

    Yes, there isn't one at the moment. comp.databases.mysql is in the process of
    being created - there should be a call for votes going out at some point in the
    not so distant future.

    > Where is the appropriate place to ask
    >mysql questions that aren't Perl-related?

    Probably one of these:

    http://lists.mysql.com/
    http://forums.mysql.com/

    --
    Andy Hassall / <> / <http://www.andyh.co.uk>
    <http://www.andyhsoftware.co.uk/space> Space: disk usage analysis tool
    Andy Hassall, Jul 30, 2005
  6. I think that no one is obligated to promote perl, as such. Perl is a
    tool, not a religion.

    However, unfriendly attitude does make this newsgroup less helpful
    than I would like it to be. I am quite thick skinned, so almost
    nothing can piss me off, but not everyone is like that.

    Plus, I hate wasting time by asking a question and then seeing an
    asshole fest rather than an actual answer. In fairness, though, I must
    say that about 50% of my questions have been answered with relevant
    answers given. People here are very intelligent, but sometimes go off
    into time wasting tirades instead of actually using their
    intelligence.

    As far as "perl jobs" are concerned, do not forget about a large
    segment of non-perl jobs where knowledge of perl is a great plus. I am
    a C++ programmer by trade, but my knowledge of perl has been supremely
    helpful to getting stuff to actually work and "gluing" various
    programs together. Most companies who do not need dedicated perl
    programmers, consider knowledge of perl a great advantage.

    In fact, things get done in perl so quickly and usually work so well,
    that having a dedicated perl programmer is not warranted.

    Ignoramus27279, Jul 30, 2005
  7. In comp.lang.perl.misc on 30 Jul 2005 22:23:24 GMT
    Abigail <> wrote:

    > That's why I pointed him to alt.binaries.pictures.furniture! Those guys
    > love to point out were to go for non-furniture related questions. They
    > know all the newsgroups, and can tell you exactly where to go.
    >
    > Not us Perl people, who only know Perl.

    And neither user interfaces or documentation...

    Did you expect him to go to that group? IF so, the user interface
    design was bad but you didn't realise it.

    If you didn't, then the program worked as the programmer expected, but
    not as the user expected, again a poor performance.

    Addition of the explanation at the time the user needed it, rather than
    buried right down in a bit of doco not even written at testing time
    would have been much more sensible.

    Zebee
    Zebee Johnstone, Jul 30, 2005