Where to buy C90 and C95 standards

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by Ioannis Vranos, May 9, 2009.

    1. Advertising

  1. Ioannis Vranos <> writes:
    > I have found these:
    >

    > C90: http://infostore.saiglobal.com/store/Details.aspx?DocN=stds000005269
    >
    > C95: http://infostore.saiglobal.com/store/Details.aspx?DocN=isoc000767513

    Cool, thanks for posting that.

    Some notes:

    The C95 document is just the amendment; it's not the full standard.
    If you want the C95 standard, you'll need to buy both.

    The prices for the PDF versions are $111.81 and $56.21, respectively.
    I think that's in Australian dollars; the Australian dollar is
    currently about $0.76 US, 0.56 Euro, 0.50 UK Pound.

    If these are the same documents I have, they're legible but the PDF is
    not nearly as good as the more recent versions (C99 and drafts). My
    copies were generated by scanning a hard copy. You can still search
    and copy-and-paste, but you'll get a lot of errors (commas tend to
    appear as periods, for example).

    Nokia
    Keith Thompson, May 9, 2009

  2. Keith Thompson wrote:
    > Ioannis Vranos <> writes:
    >> I have found these:
    >>

    >> C90: http://infostore.saiglobal.com/store/Details.aspx?DocN=stds000005269
    >>
    >> C95: http://infostore.saiglobal.com/store/Details.aspx?DocN=isoc000767513

    > Cool, thanks for posting that.
    >
    > Some notes:
    >
    > The C95 document is just the amendment; it's not the full standard.
    > If you want the C95 standard, you'll need to buy both.
    >
    > The prices for the PDF versions are $111.81 and $56.21, respectively.
    > I think that's in Australian dollars; the Australian dollar is
    > currently about $0.76 US, 0.56 Euro, 0.50 UK Pound.
    >
    > If these are the same documents I have, they're legible but the PDF is
    > not nearly as good as the more recent versions (C99 and drafts). My
    > copies were generated by scanning a hard copy. You can still search
    > and copy-and-paste, but you'll get a lot of errors (commas tend to
    > appear as periods, for example).

    The prices show up in Euros to me:

    AS 3955-1991
    Programming languages - C PDF: €86.21 Hardcopy: €95.79

    ISO/IEC 9899:1990/Amd 1:1995
    Programming languages - C; Amendment 1: C integrity PDF: €43.34 Hardcopy: €48.16

    --
    Ioannis A. Vranos

    C95 / C++03 Developer

    http://www.cpp-software.net
    Ioannis Vranos, May 10, 2009
  3. Ioannis Vranos <> writes:
    [...]
    > The prices show up in Euros to me:

    The web server probably sees where you're coming from.

    > AS 3955-1991
    > Programming languages - C PDF: €86.21 Hardcopy: €95.79
    >

    > ISO/IEC 9899:1990/Amd 1:1995
    > Programming languages - C; Amendment 1: C integrity PDF: €43.34 Hardcopy: €48.16

    My newsreader doesn't display the euro signs correctly, at least not
    in my current environment. For example, it shows the price of the C90
    PDF as \20086.21, which is a bit scary until you realize that the \200
    is probably supposed to be a euro sign. (Hmm, you're using
    windows-1252, so it might look funny to others as well.)

    Nokia
    Keith Thompson, May 10, 2009
  4. Ioannis Vranos

    CBFalconer Guest

    Keith Thompson wrote:

    .... snip ...

    > My newsreader doesn't display the euro signs correctly, at least
    > not in my current environment. For example, it shows the price of
    > the C90 PDF as \20086.21, which is a bit scary until you realize
    > that the \200 is probably supposed to be a euro sign. (Hmm, you're
    > using windows-1252, so it might look funny to others as well.)

    My reader is dated Aug 00 (Netscape 4.75), and shows the Euro sign
    without any difficulty. Was that before the Euro was actually
    implemented?

    Try the download section.
    CBFalconer, May 10, 2009
  5. Keith Thompson wrote:
    > Ioannis Vranos <> writes:
    > [...]
    >> The prices show up in Euros to me:

    > The web server probably sees where you're coming from.
    >
    >> AS 3955-1991
    >> Programming languages - C PDF: €86.21 Hardcopy: €95.79
    >>

    >> ISO/IEC 9899:1990/Amd 1:1995
    >> Programming languages - C; Amendment 1: C integrity PDF: €43.34 Hardcopy: €48.16

    > My newsreader doesn't display the euro signs correctly, at least not
    > in my current environment. For example, it shows the price of the C90
    > PDF as \20086.21, which is a bit scary until you realize that the \200
    > is probably supposed to be a euro sign. (Hmm, you're using
    > windows-1252, so it might look funny to others as well.)

    I used the default encoding Western (ISO-8859-1), which is the default setting of the latest version of
    Thunderbird, which I am using.

    Try switching to this encoding manually, this may work. Unless you are using Windows 95 or something.

    --
    Ioannis A. Vranos

    C95 / C++03 Developer

    http://www.cpp-software.net
    Ioannis Vranos, May 10, 2009
  6. For those who can't display the Euro sign:

    --
    Ioannis A. Vranos

    C95 / C++03 Developer

    http://www.cpp-software.net
    Ioannis Vranos, May 10, 2009
  7. Ioannis Vranos <> writes:

    > I used the default encoding Western (ISO-8859-1), which is the default
    > setting of the latest version of Thunderbird, which I am using.

    FYI both the original Euro-containing message and the one I am relying
    to now say:

    in the header (which my newsreader is quite happy with BTW).

    --
    Ben.
    Ben Bacarisse, May 10, 2009
  8. In article <gu698j$v2a$>,
    Ioannis Vranos <> wrote:

    >I used the default encoding Western (ISO-8859-1)

    No you didn't. Your posts have the header:

    and the euro symbol does not exist in ISO-8859-1.

    -- Richard
    Richard Tobin, May 10, 2009
  9. Richard Tobin wrote:
    > In article <gu698j$v2a$>,
    > Ioannis Vranos <> wrote:
    >
    >> I used the default encoding Western (ISO-8859-1)

    > No you didn't. Your posts have the header:

    > and the euro symbol does not exist in ISO-8859-1.
    >
    > -- Richard

    Yes, you are both right. I checked the headers of my messages in this thread, and it appears that for the
    messages without the Euro sign, the default ISO-8859-1 was used, while for the messages containing the Euro
    sign, apparently Thunderbird auto-switched the encoding to windows-1252.

    Yes, I knew that ISO-8859-1 (Latin 1) doesn't contain the Euro sign, ASCII too.

    --
    Ioannis A. Vranos

    C95 / C++03 Developer

    http://www.cpp-software.net
    Ioannis Vranos, May 10, 2009
  10. In article <gu6e0e$36l$>,
    Ioannis Vranos <> wrote:

    >Yes, I knew that ISO-8859-1 (Latin 1) doesn't contain the Euro sign

    If you want to stick to non-Microsoft encodings, ISO-8859-15 (oddly
    known as Latin-9) is the same as Latin-1 with a few changes including
    the euro symbol.

    -- Richard
    Richard Tobin, May 10, 2009
  11. In article <gu6tl0$17hs$> (Richard Tobin) writes:
    > If you want to stick to non-Microsoft encodings, ISO-8859-15 (oddly
    > known as Latin-9) ...

    Perhaps because ISO-8859-5 to 8, 11 and 12 are not for the Latin script at
    all?
    --
    dik t. winter, cwi, science park 123, 1098 xg amsterdam, nederland, +31205924131
    Dik T. Winter, May 11, 2009
  12. In article <>, Dik T. Winter <> wrote:

    > > If you want to stick to non-Microsoft encodings, ISO-8859-15 (oddly
    > > known as Latin-9) ...

    >Perhaps because ISO-8859-5 to 8, 11 and 12 are not for the Latin script at
    >all?

    I said "oddly", not "inexplicably". It would have been much less
    confusing to call them Latin-9, Latin-13 etc even though there would
    no Latin-5 to 8.

    -- Richard
    Richard Tobin, May 12, 2009